Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
GOT IT! (Read 7823 times)
ScottNC
Seasoned Member

GOT IT!
02/14/19 at 19:55:12

ZTPRE
Well, what's to say, it's incredible looking, it's incredible right from go. With my balanced line running out of my Brooklyn Dac+ into it, then balanced into the ZBIT, then into the 25th ZRock2, then into the MKIV, I got more gain
controls than I care to count! It's going to be a blast, I have no plans for any 5 on 5 off for this break-in, it's not getting shut off till it needs tubes.
 I'll post more on it in the proper thread, but I'm pretty excited and decided on here for the first.
 It's gonna be a good weekend, even if the sun isn't predicted to be out for 10 days.

Best,
 Scott  ( Grin)

ZTPREsm.jpg

TORII MKIV-25th,ZBIT,ZROCK2-25th,ZTPRE-25th,ZLC,DNA2's, REL S/3 SHO
MyTek Brooklyn DAC+,Sonore ultraRendu LinearPS,sonicTransport APi7 4TB
Woo WA6, Sennheiser HD660s
RoomTreatments,LineFeed,DHC1’s,DSR’s,ZENST,TriodeWireLabs,TimberNation Maple Plats
  IP Logged
patchmark
Verified Member

Re: GOT IT!
Reply #1 - 02/14/19 at 20:06:10

Very nice!!!

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #2 - 02/14/19 at 20:12:07

Great Scott. It's such a fantastic machine. Glad you have it at last.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
jslateiv
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 02/14/19 at 20:33:07

Congrats Scott!   That's awesome and the ZTPre (along w/the rest) is a sweet piece of kit indeed!   Hope your well rested because there's sure to be little rest for you now!

PureFidelity Harmony (SS Zephyr MIMC / ZYX Ultimate 100 / Miyajima Madake) > Roon/NUC > Holo KTE May > Supratek Cortese LCR > SE84-25 Zen / Gerus 300B / Radu Tarta Ultimate 300B > Triangle Celius 202 / Zu Omen (Hi-Mod) / ZenMstrL-F15 : PSA P12 : Iconoclast Cabling
  IP Logged
pursuitofnow
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 02/14/19 at 20:57:34

Nice! Congrats! I can't wait to read what you think.

VPI Classic Signature | Koetsu Urushi Black | Bob's Sky 20 | ZP3 | Swiss Digital Fuse Box
DirectStream DAC (APS nickel transformers, Vocm mod)
ZTPRE | ZBIT | ZROCK2 | SE84UFO3
Omega Super 3 HO XRS | Deep 8
Zenwave D4 | PCR-11 | PI Audio Uberbuss
---
ZR 3
  IP Logged
glineus
Verified Member

Reply #5 - 02/14/19 at 22:32:24

Hi Scot,

Congratulation on your acquisition. I shall be following your postings with interest since my MK1V is at the Mother-Ship for the 25th Anniversary Mod., and I am contemplating acquisition of the ZTPRE

ENJOY! Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy
glineus

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 02/15/19 at 16:56:06

Beautiful piece of equipment.  Interested in your observations for sure.

i7 Mac Mini with LPSU/SSD running Audirvana 3.5, Uptone Audio Regen on LPSU, Mytek Brooklyn DAC+, Ven Haus DIY Silver ICs, 25th Ann. Zen, PS Audio P5 Power Supply, PS Audio Power Cords, GR Research Speaker Wire, DIY Big Betsy and Crystal 10 Open Baffle Speakers
  IP Logged
ScottNC
Seasoned Member

Reply #7 - 02/15/19 at 23:06:55

All "ZENNED UP" and ready for another glorious evening of listening bliss... so far I think Steve has said it best:

"A preamp like this one is very much like the preamp that you can't hear... except for the way it animates the music. It takes music that already sounds good, and makes it pop into a believable experience. It does this with dynamics, separation, pace, density and holographic imaging and does so against a backdrop of liquidity and intoxicating tone."

thumbnail_001.jpeg

RoomTreatments,LineFeed,DHC1’s,DSR’s,ZENST,TriodeWireLabs,TimberNation Maple Plats
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #8 - 02/15/19 at 23:13:35

I resorted to quoting that same quote from Steve when I first got the ZTPRE as well, he just puts it so well--it sounds like bragging, but it's really the truth as I hear it.

You've a wonderful weekend ahead of you! Enjoy.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
HockessinKid
Seasoned Member

Reply #9 - 02/15/19 at 23:23:16

Enjoy the ride Scott.

HK

Nottingham Interspace TT w/ Audio Technica AT-OC9XML cart + Modwright PH 9.0XT phono OR Modwright modded Cambridge CNX V2 > CSP3-25th Ann. preamp > ZMA-25th Ann. amp > PI Audio UberBUSS > Caintuck Audio Lii15 Magnum speakers > Snake River Audio & ZenWave cables
  IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #10 - 02/16/19 at 06:26:40

Scott,

I appreciate the kind words...  since I was feeling bad about the mishap with your TORII MK4, and inspired by your choice when you configured your ZTPRE to have only a single pair of inputs and no input selector... I decided to see if any "Anniversary mods" were relevant on this piece. We've all wondered. However, both myself and Lon have had no urge whatsoever to explore it because, well, it sounds so good now. That said, the way I designed the ZTPRE, creating an Anniversary mod for it would fall into two categories:  1) sane. 2) insane.  The ZTPRE only needs a single beeswax bypass cap per channel to fit into the first category. The second category would require and additional 3 caps per channel and a place to put them - of which is there is none. After hearing the 1) sane on Scotts ZTPRE, there is no need to explore the 2) Insane because the price would be outrageous
for an additional estimated 3%.

The Anniversary mod on Scotts being the first one in existence is a gift for his trouble.

So, what was the result... well lets just say that Scotts stone cold preamp during QC blew my well seasoned ZTPRE into the dirt. The ZTPRE is like a race horse and the beeswax bypass mod on it simply let it run free.  It makes 6N1P sound like exotic 6922 or 6N5P or 6N23P.  I haven't heard it yet with those more resolute tubes... probably rub the rest of the hair off my forehead if I heard that, so I'll save it for another time Wink

The music with the mod now has a leading edge pluck that just boinks the music into space with a palpability that is just hard to believe.  This is in reference to using the ZTPRE with the SE84UFO25, or any Decware amplifier that has the Anniversary Mods.

After hearing it with the SE84UFO25 and the ZMA with anniversary mods, I didn't last for even an hour with my own ZTPRE before I flipped it on the bench and installed the two humble cryo-treated beeswax bypass caps.  I will be including this mod as standard fair on all ZTPRE that go out the door without raising the price because the boost to sound quality will more than pay for the caps when people hear it as more ZTPRE will be sold.  

I feel like the ZTPRE is doing a dance behind and around the music just to show off now... ; )

Also, just to rub salt in the wounds, I saw in your picture the knobs don't match!!!!    Yes, when I grabbed the extra black knobs for you I didn't notice that they didn't match.  I had forgotten about the dot knob.  At was a roguish prototype knob that made it's way into the bin without ever having a mate.  I will be sending you another black knob to match the one with the line indicator on the front.  You can use the dot knob for whatever you want.  Better you have it than me, as it can only cause history to repeat itself around here.

Happy Listening  :)

WWW   IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #11 - 02/16/19 at 11:14:04

Darn it Steve!

But I'm not surprised it sounds wonderful. Congrats again Scott!

IP Logged
HockessinKid
Seasoned Member

Reply #12 - 02/16/19 at 11:58:19

Better get that ZTPRE 25th mod/upgrade Lon 😎. The pursuit never ends...

HK

Nottingham Interspace TT w/ Audio Technica AT-OC9XML cart + Modwright PH 9.0XT phono OR Modwright modded Cambridge CNX V2 > CSP3-25th Ann. preamp > ZMA-25th Ann. amp > PI Audio UberBUSS > Caintuck Audio Lii15 Magnum speakers > Snake River Audio & ZenWave cables
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #13 - 02/16/19 at 12:41:03

Ha. I know I'll want to in time.

IP Logged
MrDerrick
Seasoned Member

May The Source Be
With You!

Reply #14 - 02/16/19 at 13:07:51

Steve,

What will the cost of the 25th level 1 mod be for the ZTPRE?
I will be up to having mine upgraded after I have my UFO25th amp run in!

1.4/1.5 MHz 20 Bit PCM Qobuz or SSD
HQPE - sonicTransporter i9
HQP Client - i3 Tablet
HQP NAA - Sonore Sig Series Rendu
USB > Holo KTE May > SA1X/47 > ZBIT > ZSTAGE25 > SE84UFO25
Avantgarde Duo Omega & Townshend Super Tweeters
IsoMax > Rives Parc > SUB225s
  IP Logged
pursuitofnow
Seasoned Member

Reply #15 - 02/16/19 at 17:14:41

Sounds like a great time to pull the trigger on the ZTPRE Smiley

VPI Classic Signature | Koetsu Urushi Black | Bob's Sky 20 | ZP3 | Swiss Digital Fuse Box
DirectStream DAC (APS nickel transformers, Vocm mod)
ZTPRE | ZBIT | ZROCK2 | SE84UFO3
Omega Super 3 HO XRS | Deep 8
Zenwave D4 | PCR-11 | PI Audio Uberbuss
---
ZR 3
  IP Logged
ScottNC
Seasoned Member

Reply #16 - 02/16/19 at 21:56:17

First off, Thanks for all the response and good wishes.
 I normally respond to posts well into the evening, but… I honestly didn’t even check my mail til around 2:30 pm today…because, my head didn’t hit the pillow until the sun was well up.
 Who’d a thought, a Zen deal I’m certain, as the forecast was 98% cloud cover and I’m seeing blue sky everywhere.
 I’m first off feeling like about the most fortunate customer in the group, and I think we all are to one extent or another. Secondly, I’m feeling an unbelievable satisfaction in realizing I’m not just imagining what I’m hearing, but knowing I truly couldn’t describe what the ZTPRE brings to my system any better than Steve’s words do. Plus now to find, as I have no previous reference, that I got the bomb in mods without even knowing! Again, Steve’s words serve better than my own: “The music with the mod now has a leading edge pluck that just boinks the music into space with a palpability that is just had to believe” nothing more needs to be said.
 Since we are being totally straight forward here, a moment of full disclosure, when I first hooked up the preamp, in my haste to hear it I inadvertently switched the L&R inputs and when I took my first listen thought the imaging was significantly changed…well it was, it disappeared. I corrected that mis-step and things got way better. Into the evening I jokingly thought Steve maybe sent two different knobs so I could tell right from left, which I clearly can’t! I’ll keep the knob with the 5U4G that began this journey with the channel out, as fond reminders to the journey.
 I’m finding myself running the ZROCK at about 1 o’clock now and it is simply amazing what a profound effect it has on the whole deal. If anyone is on the fence about whether or not it’s worth pursuing, it is, period.
 I’ve been satisfied with the DNA2’s since the day I got them and now it’s like they got a full mod too, synergy at it’s best I guess. A side note, when UPS delivered the ZTPRE, I’m pretty sure it could have thrown off a bridge and survived, I can’t say I ever received anything packed so well, if I got the name correct, Josh is doing one hell of job, if not who ever (double) boxed it deserves some kudos.
 Good listening now has a new meaning for me, luckily I've no hair left on my forehead to rub off...it's long gone Smiley
Best,
Scott

IP Logged
MrDerrick
Seasoned Member

May The Source Be
With You!

Reply #17 - 02/16/19 at 23:05:18

I find it hard to grasp why more of these haven't been ordered.
I thought that at least 25 ZTPREs had been sold ( I thought I read somewhere that the intro price would remain until 25 sold ).
I see the serial numbers are up to 17?
The ZTPRE was also a transformation in my system.
I can't wait to hear how it sounds along with the SE84UFO25, that is in test at the moment, that I have on order.

1.4/1.5 MHz 20 Bit PCM Qobuz or SSD
HQPE - sonicTransporter i9
HQP Client - i3 Tablet
HQP NAA - Sonore Sig Series Rendu
USB > Holo KTE May > SA1X/47 > ZBIT > ZSTAGE25 > SE84UFO25
Avantgarde Duo Omega & Townshend Super Tweeters
IsoMax > Rives Parc > SUB225s
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #18 - 02/16/19 at 23:16:46

I love mine, which I bought used, and I'm the third owner! I think there are two reasons. One. . . they excel with balanced inputs, and balanced inputs on consumer sources are rarer than single-ended, and also it's expensive to have the balanced in and then into a single-ended amplifier unless you have a ZBIT or convert the output of the ZTPRE to single-ended, or the inputs on the amps are balanced, all further expenses.

We Decwarians like the cheaper aspect of the line. . . so much bang for the buck. Most therefore I think go for the CSP3. . . great sound, single-ended in and out. . . . Which is reason Two: the CSP3 is less expensive and for those with single-ended outputs on sources and inputs on amps, saves one the further cost of balanced to single-ended conversion.

The ZTPRE is fantastic. I've learned to use the remote more and more and with the gain flexibility on this  and other components dialing in a dense but articulate sound is fun and easy. I know I'll send mine in for the mod one day.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print