Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
ZKIT1 1st build (Read 1672 times)
meteor
Verified Member

ZKIT1 1st build
12/23/18 at 20:09:09

Hi,
I'm new to Decware and the forum. I own several tube amps and want to build 1 stereo or 2 mono ones. It would be nice to build a ZKIT1 and keep it made of 100% USA sourced parts.

I have a few questions that hopefully someone can help me with.

1. Is there a source for a decent enclosure for the amp or any suggestions for a DIY one?
I've looked at the KIT built pictures and the amps look great.

I have some basic soldering skills.
2. Is this a good amp to build as a beginner &
What is the difficulty level?

I'm not just looking for DIY - I also plan to buy a Decware made amp.

Thanks!
John

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Re: ZKIT1 1st build
Reply #1 - 12/25/18 at 19:06:09

I've not built a Z-kit, but I have one that someone started that I bought off them for the parts, and I've built several guitar amps from scratch over the years - so take this how you will.

Hammond does small enclosures that many amp builders use.

http://www.hammondmfg.com/scpg.htm

This is a great amp for beginner, because it's done on a circuit board and it's like a paint by numbers in assembly. Just put the parts in their place, solder correctly, trim the excess leads, and enjoy.  There have been dozens of people who have made this amp in this forum as well as others - take some time and search through the forums for photos and suggestions, as well as Google and see what others have done for ideas.

Looking at the Transformers and parts that came with my (2nd hand Z-kit) it looks like it will sound just as good and probably better than my early SV83A amp. I think you'll really enjoy it and it's a great way to get into the flea watt SET amps!

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
meteor
Verified Member

Reply #2 - 12/27/18 at 15:50:56

Hi Raven,

Thanks for the link to the enclosures and your insights on the build.
I bought one of the Hammond enclosures in a size that should work well with the amp.

To assemble the amp, I've purchased from 5 different sources for the parts.
The Edcor transformers are shown as being made to order and have a stated 8 week lead time. We'll see how that progresses.

All of the other listed parts were simple enough to order with just a couple needing substitutions because of not being in stock.

I'm looking forward to building a hand assembled USA made SET stereo tube amp!!

Thanks again!
John

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #3 - 12/29/18 at 01:57:44

Awesome! Please post regular updates? I want to see how it goes for you.

~Eric~

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
benlefebvre
Verified Member

Reply #4 - 01/11/19 at 13:44:08

My ZKIT amp sounds great. My advice would just to be to make sure your solder joints look good. I had problems with my initial build - voltages were all off and the tubes overheated - that were fixed after I redid some sloppy soldering.

For future reference, folks can also get all-metal cases at a company called Landfall Systems. No affiliation - just a happy customer.  They’ll build the box to your measurements. I usually build my own wooden chassis and then order metal top plates.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print