Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/16/24 at 12:03:14 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Big News...The Teac NT-505 DAC is now available. (Read 3456 times)
Dominick
Seasoned Member

Still like that old
time Rock and Roll!!

Big News...The Teac NT-505 DAC is now available.
10/17/18 at 19:40:23

For those who are interested in the new Teac NT-505, it  is currently available here…

https://soundapproach.com/teac-nt-505-usb-dac-network-player.html?gclid=EAIaIQob...

I just spoke with Alan from Sound Approach and he confirmed it is available and is ready to ship.   They have them both in black and silver at $1999.00 (free shipping) [Ouch!!]

After hearing Eric’s NT-503 at Decfest through headphones, I was really impressed.   The hard part is to convince the bride to give me the green light.  I was able to find the previous model like Eric has, and it’s about $1000.00 bucks.   

While I am sure the new one is not worth 2x the price of the previous model; the Tidal, Roon, and MQA decoding are big features that I find attractive.

Rasp. Pi 4 [Roon], Schiit Bifrost True Multibit DAC, ZBIT, ZROCK2, My Audio Cables Ultra Silver+, ZSB, CSP2+ 25th, DAG Cables, DHC1, Torii MKIV 25th /2 White Zen SE84C+ 25th mono’s, Rega P2 Turntable,Rega Fono MK5, Velodyne Dual Firing Sub, ERR’s [Bubbinga Wood]
  IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Re: Big News...The Teac NT-505 DAC is now available.
Reply #1 - 10/19/18 at 22:13:24

I'm a little disappointed its double the price now.  I have a UD503 and I do Tidal via Audirvana and it sounds pretty good.  It would be another $1K for MQA and I that's not worth it for me.  No experience with roon.

My 503 was an open box special at $650.  Spend a little more and get a Zbit.  Pretty good package for the money.

i7 Mac Mini with LPSU/SSD running Audirvana 3.5, Uptone Audio Regen on LPSU, Mytek Brooklyn DAC+, Ven Haus DIY Silver ICs, 25th Ann. Zen, PS Audio P5 Power Supply, PS Audio Power Cords, GR Research Speaker Wire, DIY Big Betsy and Crystal 10 Open Baffle Speakers
  IP Logged
Dominick
Seasoned Member

Still like that old
time Rock and Roll!!

Reply #2 - 10/20/18 at 08:02:12

Palomino...Yeah I am pretty bummed about the price as well.   I read the entire sheet of the features, and while it sounds good, that’s ALOT more $$$ for an upgraded model.

Here is the product information sheet on the 505.....

https://soundapproach.com/pdfs/NT-505_SNPI_WWE.pdf

I have been looking for a new and/or open box 503, but have come up short so far.   I thought I found one, but when I inquired about it was gone. Hence why I looked into the new 505 NT.  Personally...I’d rather save the money and buy a left over/ open box 503, add the ZBIT to the chain, and still have some $$ left over.

Rasp. Pi 4 [Roon], Schiit Bifrost True Multibit DAC, ZBIT, ZROCK2, My Audio Cables Ultra Silver+, ZSB, CSP2+ 25th, DAG Cables, DHC1, Torii MKIV 25th /2 White Zen SE84C+ 25th mono’s, Rega P2 Turntable,Rega Fono MK5, Velodyne Dual Firing Sub, ERR’s [Bubbinga Wood]
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #3 - 10/22/18 at 19:48:57

I'm glad I picked up the NT-503 when I did, that said, I don't see the 505 being worth *that* much. for that kind of money, I'm sure there are plenty of other options out there. Or I'd keep fishing for a used 503 somewhere.

Sorry I don't have any other suggestions right now - I'm bummed about the price of the new model.

Also, MQA support seems to be dying off, people are really questioning it all around.

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 10/23/18 at 12:15:43

Audirvana does the MQA thing but of course the DAC does not.  I do think that the partially unfolded MQA I get sounds closer to CD or ripped flac.

After being on a TIDAL binge, I recently went back to my ripped library.  Quite a bit better than TIDAL.  I was a little surprised by the difference.

When Qobuz becomes available in the U.S. I will give it a try.  I remember reading a Paul's Post not too long ago and he says the quality is superior to TIDAL.

i7 Mac Mini with LPSU/SSD running Audirvana 3.5, Uptone Audio Regen on LPSU, Mytek Brooklyn DAC+, Ven Haus DIY Silver ICs, 25th Ann. Zen, PS Audio P5 Power Supply, PS Audio Power Cords, GR Research Speaker Wire, DIY Big Betsy and Crystal 10 Open Baffle Speakers
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print