Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/26/24 at 02:29:52 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
TEAC NT-503 - what happened?? (Read 1044 times)
maddog07
Seasoned Member

seeker of truth

TEAC NT-503 - what happened??
09/28/18 at 16:57:09

Why has the modded NT-503 disappeared from the Decware products page?

Decware Torii MK3, Wyred4Sound DAC2, Theta Digital Miles, Emotiva XMC-1, Emotiva XPA-5, Aesthetix Calypso, Wyred STP-SE, Martin Logan Vista, Audio Nirvana 12" Alnico's, PS Audio PW P5, Goertz, Kimber, Nordost and DIY wires, PSA pwr cords, Cary SLI-80, DM945's.....
  IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Re: TEAC NT-503 - what happened??
Reply #1 - 09/29/18 at 03:26:17

It disappeared because TEAC discontinued the NT-503.  We are not going to replace it because we have the ZBIT.  The Zen Balanced Input Transformer is the same components we put inside the NT-503 that we modded.  Having the transformers externally mounted in a stand alone chassis and connecting it to the balanced XLR outputs is electrically identical to what we offered.  

The advantages of having the ZBIT connected to the XLR of a TEAC or TASCAM DAC is that you can locate the DAC far away from the amplifier or preamp if you use one.  The ZBIT is placed directly next to the amp or preamp so that you can use your best pair of interconnects between the two.  Another advantage is that the ZBIT has an analogue variable-output control that our modified NT-503 lacked.  

Another advantage is that when the DAC quits working someday, or the technology becomes outdated, you can replace it without loosing your investment in the transformers that make it sound good.

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #2 - 09/29/18 at 13:22:36

Bingo in all just said/Steve....I need to get a ZBIT on the shelf. I like being able to run a long XLR and of course use a great IC close to ZMA. I don't foresee my ZDSD crashing anytime soon. However, I should plan ahead and use one now from my ZDSD. Go from the inboard tranny's I have, to outboard analogue variable-output control too.

Room Treats-M.Green & mine
Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Shunyata Z-Alpha DigPcord
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
Acoustic Zen Adagio/Modified
Kimber PK10 Palladian from wall
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Tommy Freefall
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 10/01/18 at 18:23:29

That is why I bought a stand-alone ZBIT. CD Players, CD Transports, DACs will all come and go, but my great grandchildren can utilize my ZBIT long after I'm food for the worms.

Torii MkIV w/ 25th ann mods
Rachael SE34I.5
Benchmark AHB2
ERRx
ZStage, ZRock2
Tascam CD-240
Border Patrol DAC
Benchmark DAC3 HGC
Bluesound Node
Zu Audio Mission speaker cables
Decware I/Cs
PI Audio MiniBUSS
Zenhead, Grado 325e
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #4 - 10/04/18 at 16:48:11

Ugh, I bought the transformers to build myself  a ZBIT for my little Zen amp, and I've had them in a box for a year now...I just keep getting distracted with this whole work and paying the bills thing.  :P

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
Dominick
Seasoned Member

Still like that old
time Rock and Roll!!

Reply #5 - 10/08/18 at 15:05:17

If for some reason you still want to reference that page… Here it is.

http://web.archive.org/web/20180303004056/https://www.decware.com:80/newsite/ZDA...

Unfortunately the snapshot did not carry over the pictures, but at least you can get all of the information.

Unfortunately it’s no longer for sale which is a bummer. I got a chance to use the Lonely Raven’s it at Decfest, and it’s a nice piece of equipment.

Rasp. Pi 4 [Roon], Schiit Bifrost True Multibit DAC, ZBIT, ZROCK2, My Audio Cables Ultra Silver+, ZSB, CSP2+ 25th, DAG Cables, DHC1, Torii MKIV 25th /2 White Zen SE84C+ 25th mono’s, Rega P2 Turntable,Rega Fono MK5, Velodyne Dual Firing Sub, ERR’s [Bubbinga Wood]
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #6 - 10/16/18 at 21:13:12

I was just looking up the TEAC NT-505, and I'm not seeing it as available in the US! Bummer!

I'm glad I got the 503 When I did, it's pretty nice!

Dominick
Seasoned Member

Still like that old
time Rock and Roll!!

Reply #7 - 10/16/18 at 22:42:28

I just read that Teac  has allowed Onkyo to be their main distributor in the US.  

http://www.teac-usa.com/onkyo-usa-obtains-exclusive-distribution-rights-for-teac...

It apparently will have a street price  just under $2000.

What intrigues me the most was the addition of MQA,  Roon and Tidal support.   But I guess the question is it really worth almost double the price?

Here is a good read  on the Steve Hoffman forum....

http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/teac-nt503-networking-dac.766655/

Here is the data sheet on the new 505 NT...

https://www.teac-audio.eu/downloads/3/3/5/2/9/TEAC_NT-505_product_information_EN...

Rasp. Pi 4 [Roon], Schiit Bifrost True Multibit DAC, ZBIT, ZROCK2, My Audio Cables Ultra Silver+, ZSB, CSP2+ 25th, DAG Cables, DHC1, Torii MKIV 25th /2 White Zen SE84C+ 25th mono’s, Rega P2 Turntable,Rega Fono MK5, Velodyne Dual Firing Sub, ERR’s [Bubbinga Wood]
  IP Logged
Dominick
Seasoned Member

Still like that old
time Rock and Roll!!

Reply #8 - 10/17/18 at 18:53:22

Quote:
I was just looking up the TEAC NT-505, and I'm not seeing it as available in the US! Bummer!

Not sure how reliable this is… But this place in Virginia has it listed.   I just put a call in and he’s going to check the status and get back to me. He says it’s possible that they listed on the website so that way people can  get on an advanced order list

https://soundapproach.com/teac-nt-505-usb-dac-network-player.html?gclid=EAIaIQob...
ChMIv_aym4SO3gIV0VmGCh0_WgZyEAQYAiABEgLRPvD_BwE

Ironically enough the Onkyo headquarters is just 10 minutes away from me.  I may need to stop by and find out more about this.  

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #9 - 10/22/18 at 19:50:43

Good luck! I hope you can find an open box if Onkyo happens to have some there!

Dominick
Seasoned Member

Still like that old
time Rock and Roll!!

Reply #10 - 10/22/18 at 21:18:57

Thanks Eric.  I am gonna head over there in the next several days.  Don’t feel like breaking the bank on a DAC right now with looking to add a Decware amp or preamp to my system.

IP Logged
HockessinKid
Seasoned Member

Reply #11 - 10/22/18 at 21:39:32

Dominick,

I suggest keeping an eye out for online or local retailers looking to move out any NT-503's in stock, now that the newer NT-505 is being sold in the U.S.  As an FYI, there has been a couple of Mass Drop offerings of the NT-503 in the past at very good prices.  I am not sure if there will be another one, but this could be a possible option.  Good luck.

HK

Nottingham Interspace TT w/ Audio Technica AT-OC9XML cart + Modwright PH 9.0XT phono OR Modwright modded Cambridge CNX V2 > CSP3-25th Ann. preamp > ZMA-25th Ann. amp > PI Audio UberBUSS > Caintuck Audio Lii15 Magnum speakers > Snake River Audio & ZenWave cables
  IP Logged
Dominick
Seasoned Member

Still like that old
time Rock and Roll!!

Reply #12 - 10/23/18 at 06:38:38

Thanks Roger.   I called the Onkyo headquarters which is like 10 minutes away from me, and they re-directed me to Prestiege Audio in Pompton Plains.  

http://prestigeaudiovideo.com

Their website is not that great.  It’s  been a while since I’ve been there but they apparently carry the Teac product line.    Gonna hit them up and see if I can get lucky.  

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print