Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/29/24 at 02:56:10 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Altec Model 17s and SE84UFO (Read 3496 times)
BMWk75
Verified Member

Altec Model 17s and SE84UFO
10/11/18 at 10:56:43

Long time lurker, First post. I currently have a SE84UFO driving Omega RS5s. I just got a pair of Altec 17s. Have not got set up in house yet.
Anyone running Large efficient vintage with the Zen amp, or do I need to look at different Deware amp? Thanks

IP Logged
Jeff of Arabica
Seasoned Member

Name the greatest of
all inventors...
Accident.

Re: Altec Model 17s and SE84UFO
Reply #1 - 10/11/18 at 16:01:41

I assume they are equipped with the 604-8G drivers? The Zen amp you have will run those Altec's beautifully.  So, from a power perspective, you should be fine.  How loud do you like to listen?

2 Watts will be enough and the amp you have is great.  However, other amps in the Decware lineup could offer a different flavor of sound (and superior sound)  if you feel there is more to be gotten from the Altec's.  Those are great speakers!  I had an opportunity to listen to a pair last year and was really  impressed with what I heard.  

Now, if you really wanted to finish off that combo in extraordinary fashion, get a  25th Anniversary Zen amp   Wink

Canary Audio Grand Reference Monos//ZMA//Zen Ultra//Taboo MKIII//Waversa DAC3//ModWright Oppo UDP-205// PS Audio P20//Canary Audio MC-10//Van den Hul Colibri "Stradivarius"//FFYX T1803 TT//SonoruS Reel-to-Reel & tube playback preamp//Tannoy Westminster Speakers
  IP Logged
BMWk75
Verified Member

Reply #2 - 10/11/18 at 18:10:44

Yes! They have the 604-8g drivers. My goal is to refresh the crossovers and save up some coins for a amp upgrade(or get another Zen for mono blocks).
I have a pair of Hartley Holtons I run with Dynaco MkIIIs. They really do
sound fabulous. Love them tubes!

IP Logged
Timothy McCarty
Verified Member

Reply #3 - 04/23/19 at 14:28:01

Interesting

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print