Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/29/24 at 10:08:27 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
My Modest New Zen System... (Read 7786 times)
Mark
Seasoned Member

My Modest New Zen System...
09/26/18 at 11:23:01

Just acquired: SE 84 UFO / Betsy Baffles

Previously owned:  Decware ZCD 200

S5000001.JPG

If a rabbit defined intelligence the way man does, then the most intelligent animal would be a rabbit, followed by the animal most willing to obey the commands of a rabbit. -Robert Brault, writer (b. 1938)
  IP Logged
Mark
Seasoned Member

Re: My Modest New Zen System...
Reply #1 - 09/26/18 at 11:25:09

Another shot...

S5000003.JPG

If a rabbit defined intelligence the way man does, then the most intelligent animal would be a rabbit, followed by the animal most willing to obey the commands of a rabbit. -Robert Brault, writer (b. 1938)
  IP Logged
Mark
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 09/26/18 at 11:27:18

And one more...

S5000005.JPG

IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Reply #3 - 09/26/18 at 12:38:55

Nice Mark! How do you like the sound of the Betsy’s?

(2)SE84UFO(Balanced Monoblocs) OR Sansui AU-222
Crown sub amp
Cambridge Audio CXN(ModWright) • ZBIT
SL-1210MK5(KAB Mods) Soundsmith Aida MKll cart • Darlington Labs MP-7
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
Lii Audio PT-10/W-15 in open baffles
  IP Logged
Mark
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 09/26/18 at 15:43:57

Hello, Geno... Just started break-in period, not only for the speakers, but for the amplifier, speaker cables and all tubes [in both the amp and CDP], but can give you some first impressions:

Of course, they sound open and airy...

The instruments in the orchestra are where they should be...

Good amount of volume from the Zen amp, so efficiency good...

Dipole speakers take some time to adjust from the back wall, so still experimenting with that... Toe-in as well... Off-axis response may mean I might have to break with convention in that respect...

Overall musicality is very good...

Bass surprisingly good...

Slightly strident on top end, which should smooth out within 100 hrs. or so... Note: May be the combination of all the new gear...

'Body and wood' of the sound, along with bloom should also get better as speakers are played...

Can't stop listening to them... And that's probably the best feature of these speakers... I want to listen to them... (m.)

IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Reply #5 - 09/27/18 at 03:48:42

That is good to hear, Mark. I love mine. I plan to add one of Randy’s 12” bass units soon to supplement the bass. I hear that the mid bass offered by these is much more natural and blends better with the Betsy’s.

(2)SE84UFO(Balanced Monoblocs) OR Sansui AU-222
Crown sub amp
Cambridge Audio CXN(ModWright) • ZBIT
SL-1210MK5(KAB Mods) Soundsmith Aida MKll cart • Darlington Labs MP-7
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
Lii Audio PT-10/W-15 in open baffles
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #6 - 09/27/18 at 17:22:15

That reminds me of my first Decware setup 20 years ago. When I first visited Steve at his house, he was building the amps out on the patio or in the garage or something like that. He had a $200 Denon CD player, Zen amp, and two way tower speakers with wiring hanging out of the back so he could test different caps.

My setup immediately after was a $200 Denon (used), Zen amp, and Polk LS70 speakers that I stripped out the X-Over and went just caps to protect the tweeters.

I so very much wish we had Betsy Baffles back then, I'm telling you we could have enjoyed the music much more!

You have a great looking setup! I'm sure you'll get years of enjoyment out of it. Just wait for that one day where you'll fire it up (probably after Midnight) and You'll be like WOAH! When everything settles down and the break in is past the 80% mark for all parts of the whole.

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
Mark
Seasoned Member

Reply #7 - 09/28/18 at 01:55:34

Right, L R... I'm looking forward to that evening... There's been a lot of discussion over the years as to why our systems sound better at night, and I won't retouch on them here, but to note that it certainly seems to be so...

IP Logged
ossidian
Verified Member

Reply #8 - 11/27/18 at 21:57:13

Nice open baffles.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print