Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/29/24 at 07:29:28 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Zkit60 (indirectly) reviewed by Audiophilia (Read 6059 times)
dank
Seasoned Member

pair of dual 18
Imperials

Zkit60 (indirectly) reviewed by Audiophilia
09/14/18 at 20:11:49

The Zkit60 is the baby brother of the Vision Set 400 now being sold by Audio by Van Alstine.  Differences are that the Zkit60 is 60wpc, not 225, and the Zkit60 is not recommended for 2 ohm loads.

Audiophilia's review of the Vision Set 400 can be found here:

http://www.audiophilia.com/reviews/2018/9/13/the-van-alstine-vision-set-400-ster...

Bottom line: The Vision Set 400 so impressed the reviewer that it is going to become part of the reviewers reference system.

Dan

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Re: Zkit60 (indirectly) reviewed by Audiophilia
Reply #1 - 12/05/18 at 03:41:30

low output impedance isn't everything... I'd be surprised if the ZKIT60 didn't actually sound better.  Very surprised.

If you're a serious audiophile who wants to solder your own amplifier and needs power... you're going to go with solid state because tubes would be prohibitively expensive.  This is one of the more rare good sounding solid state amplifiers that even a tube guy would have no issues listening to and utilizing.

To be honest, the only thing the tube amps that have no negative feedback do better than this is image and they can be voiced with different tubes.  Those two things are why tubes always win, however when you want a similar sound but 60 watts of it for less than a grand, well dream on...  until whoops, what's this,  on the Decware web site.. Makes you wonder how it would compare to other popular solid state offerings, like PS audio and others doesn't it?

-Steve

WWW   IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #2 - 12/29/18 at 18:35:09

Very nice gentlemen. After my ZBIT & ZLC purchases. Zkit60 goes on my list. Built by Dan and I can go pick it up. As you stated Steve, I'm not going to stop tube rolling/voicing my ZMA any time soon. However, this is a value plus!

Room Treats-M.Green & mine
Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Shunyata Z-Alpha DigPcord
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
Acoustic Zen Adagio/Modified
Kimber PK10 Palladian from wall
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
dank
Seasoned Member

pair of dual 18
Imperials

Reply #3 - 07/14/19 at 19:08:51

The Zkit60's big brother, Audio by VanAlstine's Vision SET 400, had another great review, this time by Tone Audio:

http://www.tonepublications.com/review/the-audio-by-van-alstine-vision-set-400/

The Vision SET 400 has a higher voltage regulated power supply and 2 sets of double die output mosfets, whereas the Zkit60 has a lower voltage regulated power supply and single set of single die output mosfets.  Other than that, they are virtually identical.  

IP Logged
bikehappy1
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 07/16/19 at 02:50:18

It looks like you can’t hook up a preamp but you could use a switch box. Is this correct?

Home: Torii MKIV-25, ZP3-25, HR-1’s, ZLC, DSR, DHC-1, PSA DSD, ZRock2, SA8005, Zenstiyx, VPI Prime, Hana ML, ZMC1.
Work: SE84UFO-25, Schiit modi, Trapeziums, MacBook air, Audirvana aiff. Also have a pair of ESS AMT 1C’s in workout room with a cxnv2.
  IP Logged
dank
Seasoned Member

pair of dual 18
Imperials

Reply #5 - 07/16/19 at 17:49:51

Quote:
It looks like you can’t hook up a preamp but you could use a switch box. Is this correct?

Its a standard power amp with RCA inputs and banana jack outputs.  Most any preamp will  work great with this amp.  Although, if you have just one source and it has a volume control, there is not much need for a preamp.  Someone quoted somewhere "the best preamp is no preamp".

IP Logged
bikehappy1
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 07/16/19 at 18:10:50

I realized after I posted that the preamp would go into the rca inputs on the power amp. I was a little confused because I had an old kenwood amp that had a "pre-in" and a "main out" which allowed the amp to be used as either a power amp or a preamp.  Thanks.

Home: Torii MKIV-25, ZP3-25, HR-1’s, ZLC, DSR, DHC-1, PSA DSD, ZRock2, SA8005, Zenstiyx, VPI Prime, Hana ML, ZMC1.
Work: SE84UFO-25, Schiit modi, Trapeziums, MacBook air, Audirvana aiff. Also have a pair of ESS AMT 1C’s in workout room with a cxnv2.
  IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #7 - 12/22/19 at 22:56:59

I'm chomping at the bit to receive my Zkit 60.
Let's see how solid state sounds in my room. Can't wait!

Owner of the infamous RED TORII and Dan the Redheaded Amp
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print