Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/20/24 at 02:11:30 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Taboo 3 (SEP) vs Super Zen (SET) (Read 3729 times)
richp4003
Verified Member

Taboo 3 (SEP) vs Super Zen (SET)
08/17/18 at 22:12:13

Hi everyone,

Along with Jay I am on an amplifier Everquest to pair with Zu Audio Druids. Ive tried Luxman KT88 based push pull, and a few "traditional" SET options. Jay let me borrow his Taboo 3, given how impressed he was with the performance. I have to agree: it is an AMAZING amplifier.

That brings me to the Super Zen Triode series, and it would be great to hear some experts chime in. Does the SET configuration give up anything at all sonically, or characteristically, to the SEP in the Taboo? I know its a bit less power, perhaps assume Id probably get two of them and wire each in series for 6W a channel.

Thoughts? I really like what I am hearing here, and wondering if 2 super zen triodes are going be more of a good thing, or are they a bit of a different character?

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Re: Taboo 3 (SEP) vs Super Zen (SET)
Reply #1 - 08/18/18 at 00:05:17

The Taboo Mk III and even more so the Taboo Mk IV with its UFO transformers are a great amplifier and very hard to beat. The SEP sound at its foundation is not fundamentally different than the SET sound of the Zen Amps. But there are differences in a very revealing system.

I had earlier Zen 2 watt amps, then listened to the SE34 amps, then the Torri Mk II and Mk III and then got a Taboo Mk III (still have it) as a headphone amp. When the Taboo Mk IV came out I bought one of those and yes it's a slightly better headphone amp, but it excels on the right speakers. (And I have not heard the Zus but am sure they would work well with the Mk IV). Then I bought 25th Anniversary SE84UFO3 Monoblock amps because of the great reviews from Steve and Joe et al, and I love these amps. Still I was very happy with the Taboo Mk IV driving the same speakers and can live happily with that combo (and live with the Mk IV in my second system now). In fact I think that the Taboo Mk IV is perhaps a bit more dynamic and focused. The Zen Monoblocks are perhaps more atmospheric and detailed. To some the differences would be subtle, others far more important, a lot depends on the system, and personal goals and tastes for musical playback.

You can't go wrong with either with efficient speakers. With the Taboo you get the added benefit of a world class headphone amplifier. And with the 25th Anniversary Zens you get a slightly higher powered microscope into the music.

Either way, to quote a song "the waiting is the hardest part." Smiley

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
richp4003
Verified Member

Reply #2 - 08/18/18 at 13:24:58

Lon,

Thank you for the detailed reply; the Zu speakers are very revealing to changes in the system. I do like the dynamic nature of what I am hearing with the Taboo (its not too far off from a vintage OTL amplifier I also have) While 300B stuff does have a certain magic to it, I really dont like its lack of speed and immediacy. I know the Super Zen and its EL84 is a different animal, but I dont want "slow things down" if I went the super zen route.

IP Logged
hdrider
Seasoned Member

On the path with
Decware.

Reply #3 - 08/18/18 at 14:55:16

Rich - Good to read about your travels. I started with a 2 watt Zen which was great and proved out the concept to me. I settled on the Rachael and used it with EL34's for a few years then tried 807's in it. I found the magic spot in our system and won't change anything until it goes back for the UFO trannys and I send in my  CSP3 for the 25year upgrade. Keep us posted and happy listening, Chris.

CSP3, Rachael, ZP3, ZMC 1, Sony ES Bluray, Schitt Bitfrost DAC,Sota Star TT w/ FR-64, Hana SL Low Output Moving coil, Omega 7XRS Mk 2 walnut, DeepOmega 8 sub, Morrow Audio PH3 and MA3 IC's, Gamma Electrostatic phones.
  IP Logged
richp4003
Verified Member

Reply #4 - 08/18/18 at 15:00:39

hydrider,

Right now there is 2 sets of luxman monoblocks, a luxman OTL, the taboo3, a triode lab 2A3 (borrowed from another audio friend graciously) all over the console and floor of the living room getting swapped around! Its definitely an adventure...

I didnt really consider the Rachel/ MODEL SE34I.5, I wasn't sure if maybe something would be lost straying from the EL84. (so many variables to contend with) Based on your experience running an 807 in there, maybe this is something else I should explore?

IP Logged
hdrider
Seasoned Member

On the path with
Decware.

Reply #5 - 08/18/18 at 15:12:48

Rich - If you can get your hands on a Rachael, some EL34 to 807 adaptors I think it's really worth a serious listen. Of course it all comes down to your speakers, room and what your feeding it. In our system (mainly vinyl but lots of CD, Video and Pandora streaming for the Mrs.) it's magic day in and day out. Keep us posted and don't go too crazy....happy listening. Chris.

CSP3, Rachael, ZP3, ZMC 1, Sony ES Bluray, Schitt Bitfrost DAC,Sota Star TT w/ FR-64, Hana SL Low Output Moving coil, Omega 7XRS Mk 2 walnut, DeepOmega 8 sub, Morrow Audio PH3 and MA3 IC's, Gamma Electrostatic phones.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print