Send Topic Print
PAYPAL fraud Notice! (Read 12505 times)
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

PAYPAL fraud Notice!
07/31/18 at 05:08:50

If any of you have a PayPal account they are presently having a severe overload of support calls and I can see why since my account was hacked on Thursday of last week and drained of over 25K and even though I couldn't log in to my own account or use my PayPal credit/debit card since Friday, someone else has been spending the piss out of it up until just a few hours ago.  

Log on to your account and look through all your settings!!!   I found someone with not my name on my account with a second debit card and email and physical addresses, working right along with my own and interestingly I got no PayPal notifications of the purchases in my emails like I do the ones I make myself...

I'm just afraid this might be happening to some of you right now which is bad for all of us!

-Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Stefan
Seasoned Member

Re: PAYPAL fraud Notice!
Reply #1 - 07/31/18 at 06:04:06

Thanks for letting us know Steve, I hope PayPal will give you back the money they took out of your account!

- Stefan
---------------------
Rega rp6, Lounge Audio phono pre-amp, Lonely Raven PC, T+A DAC 8 DSD, ZBIT, ZROCK2+25th, SE84UFO25, Torii IV, Denon AVC-1SE, Infinity IRS Beta, Tannoy Cheviot, ERRx, Tiny Radials, Woo WA-3, Sennheiser HD800S
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #2 - 07/31/18 at 15:37:05

Thanks for the heads up - I checked and I'm clear.

Crap I hope this isn't an uphill battle for you.

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #3 - 07/31/18 at 17:19:22

52 charges totaling over 25K and it looks like their solution is going to be an email to me giving me instructions on how to file a dispute on each an every claim. You would think a real person might be in order wouldn't you? Also, only about a dozen of the charges show up, the rest say they do not qualify for dispute.  Total BS so far...  Today I get to spend the day on the phone with PayPal trying to get this resolved.

WWW   IP Logged
lazb
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 07/31/18 at 18:31:28

HOLY SHIT!!    Technology is wonderful; until it isn't.  May the Force be with you.

IP Logged
Mark
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 07/31/18 at 18:39:47

Pay Pal is responsible for all unauthorized drains on your account... Make sure you hold their feet to the fire until they reinstate every single penny!...

If a rabbit defined intelligence the way man does, then the most intelligent animal would be a rabbit, followed by the animal most willing to obey the commands of a rabbit. -Robert Brault, writer (b. 1938)
  IP Logged
lazb
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 07/31/18 at 18:45:42

Absolutely!!

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #7 - 07/31/18 at 18:45:46

Yes, I am using the force now.  

So far I have changed the situation from having to print out a form for each of the 52 transactions, fill them out, sign them and send or fax them to PayPal and wait 10 days for "the next step" with no idea what that will be..... TO, I don't have to do anything, all the money will be returned within 10 days, and just relax and wait it out.  Can't get much better than that!

While I was on hold for 22 minutes rather than stewing about it and working out my defense,  I imagined the exact outcome I wanted including what I would hear them say on the phone, and then a lady picked up and almost like it was scripted did exactly that.  This was not the result I got with the previous 4 calls placed yesterday, so there is obviously something to it.

-Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #8 - 07/31/18 at 18:53:06

%^$# yeah!

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #9 - 08/05/18 at 03:35:55

So far so good... about half the money has found it's way back home... should only be a few more days. Still no idea how someone could hack into my account and assign themselves a debit card, get it mailed to them in 3 days (takes a week for me to get one) and spend the crap out of it while my card is shut off? I did find out that it was three people, they are professionals that start at 9:00 A.M. and quit at 5:00 P.M., gotta feel sorry for stores like Target and the like, where these people would all three charge the same card 4 and 5 minutes apart, each sale for over 900.00 and in the same store! You would think that might raise some flags, but no...

For those who live in this world and think it's OK to steel and lie, I have to tell all of you it's not going to be a sad experience to see all of you held back while the rest of humanity moves on. It will be like watching you flunk kindergarten over and over and over until the school board decides you should become the janitor where you can spend the rest of your miserable life cleaning up other peoples shit.

Whoops, that slipped out.

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Ace-Tone
Seasoned Member

8+ years with
Decware gear and
Loving it!!!

Reply #10 - 08/05/18 at 04:08:33

Steve,  Naw...they'll reincarnate as flys' and just live on shit.
P.S. thanks for the heads up. I checked my account when you first posted this and also changed passwords on several key accounts...always a good idea to do so.

SE84UFO25, ZP3, Zstage, ZR2, ZSB, DM947, HERESY iii
VPI-Traveler2 +SS Zephyr MKIIIes.
Cambridge CXC. Schiit Bimby DAC
IC's Audio Envy, Decware, RAC-PC's, Mapleshade Dbl Helix+Spkr wires & jumpers
Blue Circle PLC FX2X0e, Herbies, GIK, PI Audio DIY treatment
  IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #11 - 08/05/18 at 05:51:08

I know, that's the thing... I created the password for this account 10 years ago and have never used it on anything else, never told anyone what it was, never written it down, and have never spoken about it. That's because it's tied to my money.  That makes me think it's an inside leak... which is why I bothered to post it in the first place.   It's a damn good think I disconnected my bank account from PayPal and my credit cards as back-up sources or this nightmare would have gotten a lot darker.

Since smart phones started embedding the batteries in the phone so you could never completely shut it off, you have to know the microphone pics up conversation and algorithms can grab spoken passwords. Just hack someones account, and then hack their phone to hear what they say to their bank and card providers.

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #12 - 08/05/18 at 15:16:12

I know the pain...to a lesser extent, but none-the-less of being violated.

For the past 6 years, yes, 6 years....before the dark web was advertised on TV and the use of your Social Security number/compromised you..........................
Lar's here had his SS# stolen and really F'd me over to file my taxes....that year....and now every year since....I receive a digit code to file my taxes.

Guess what?.....this past TAX season...the IRS, ooooopsy.... did not get those numbers codes out....so you will HAVE TO PAPER FILE 1984 STYLE AND SNAIL MAIL YOUR STATE & FEDERAL...........!!!!!!!!!!!
...I had to spend 40 minutes on the phone with an IRS Agent in D.C. ....to make sure I got it done right to MAIL!!!

OH YEAH, Lars has a great time every year!

Oh, my SS# was attached to a dead person in Albany New York and someone was bilking S-Security for the dead person's SS money... . (I was born in NY......it was an inside job on SS#'s and Birth certificates/Albany is the capital).
As you said Steve....yours probably was an inside job at PP.

Can you imagine not filing electronically and getting your direct deposit/if you're getting refunds (I was).....it really sucked this year/extra!
Even though I filled out on computer....printing...enveloping....putting postage on.....was so Archaic/+ the 40 minute IRS Agent call.....the world we live in now! ....oh, lets not forget...it then takes them 7 to 9 weeks to get to it....instead of 10 to 14 days...to get my MONEY! 'nough said.

.....then when the checks came....I had to go deposit them! I had NOT stepped into my brick & mortor bank....in over a year. I don't even use cash anymore!

I will always be from the Hudson Valley/grew up ~ and love going to Lake George and the Adirondack's.....the trails from Lake Awosting to Lake Minnewaska/Shawangunk Mtns. ....and down to NYC...I know well. .....even though, I have lived in the midwest for 34 years now.
..........after getting a stent this past October.....I let things roll off me like shit through a goose.

Room Treats-M.Green & mine
Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Shunyata Z-Alpha DigPcord
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
Acoustic Zen Adagio/Modified
Kimber PK10 Palladian from wall
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #13 - 08/05/18 at 16:56:13

I had to chuckle. . . . I have never filed electronically, all paper and postage for me, I'm most comfortable that way.

my heart goes out to anyone ripped off. It's never been via the net etc. for me, but in person. . . house broken into . . . caregiver I hired fo my parents stole some of my checks. . . .and that's not all. Sigh. For millennia man steals. . . the human condition.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #14 - 08/05/18 at 18:03:21

I'm generally paranoid about "on-line" money.  At some point someone could conceivably erase your entire fortune and what really is the recourse?  When corruption is often at the top, we at the lower levels are screwed.

A physical bank and cash on hand is my MO.  I use CCs online but the CC companies take on the risk of fraud.  I will never have a Debit Card and like Steve, my PP account isn't linked to my bank account.

Cash is still king -- even if people these days don't know what it is!   Undecided

I'm still waiting for Decware to offer cash a discount though.   Wink

ZLC
Technics 1200G TT w/ Ortofon Jubilee MC cart
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Homemade Big Betsy Speakers (F15s)
Silver Cabling
DIY Isolation platforms under amps & TT.
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #15 - 08/05/18 at 22:45:45

CC only tied to PP. CC carrying all the Fraud. Like my CC's for Rewards = Cash.

Had fraud on a CC in LA 2013....and my Bank had a Card couriered to me! Now, that was service.

Room Treats-M.Green & mine
Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Shunyata Z-Alpha DigPcord
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
Acoustic Zen Adagio/Modified
Kimber PK10 Palladian from wall
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #16 - 08/06/18 at 03:25:41

Thanks for the nudge. Just updated my account.

Decware 34I.3 integrated amp/Forte' 3 bass amp/Velodyne SMS-1 bass mngmnt system/Decware ZOB speakers/Audio Nirvana 8" bass drivers/Xiang Seng DAC/ LR Audio Computer/Rega Apollo R CDP/Emotiva ERC3 CDP/BPT 3.0 power cond.
  IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #17 - 08/15/18 at 04:02:36

All went well and as promised within the 10 days stated the money trickled back in until it was all returned. That said, no explanation for how someone got into the account and issued themselves a debit card without our knowledge, so I am keeping the bank account unlinked permanently from here on out.

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Mark
Seasoned Member

Reply #18 - 08/15/18 at 10:12:58

Good to hear, Steve... From my audio sales days, I learned just how hard it was, and how much equipment you'd have to sell to make up for a loss like that... Depending on your profit margin, it could be a whole lot of equipment...  Devastating... All while you have to make payroll, pay taxes, heat, electricity, and a host of other operating expenses...

If a rabbit defined intelligence the way man does, then the most intelligent animal would be a rabbit, followed by the animal most willing to obey the commands of a rabbit. -Robert Brault, writer (b. 1938)
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #19 - 08/15/18 at 13:17:49

I'm glad to hear that's getting sorted. I remember small Pay Pal issues back in the day, and it was like talking to a wall.

$25k would have me losing sleep at night.

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
Rich

Reply #20 - 08/17/18 at 05:26:35

Sorry to here that you had this problem Steve.  I do have one question. If you don’t have a bank account linked, then how do you pay for PayPal purchases?  Do you just use a linked credit card? I use PayPal credit to buy stuff to take advantage of their six month no interest policy.  I currently use a linked bank account to pay this.  I may just decide to give up PayPal credit so I can unlink my back account.  I’m glad they refunded the money to your account.

SE84UFO2, Schiit Bifrost Multibit Dac, diy Betsy baffles, Bluesound Vault music server
  IP Logged
hdrider
Seasoned Member

On the path with
Decware.

Reply #21 - 08/18/18 at 14:48:22

Steve- Very happy to hear that this was resolved, though it took too much time and loss of sleep I bet. When I started to sell off all my old stereo gear to purchase our ''closet full of Decware'' I set up a basic bank account in one of our local banks. My PayPal was attached to that account only and there was a balance of 100.00 kept in it. I would crap my pants at the thought of 25k going sideways without my consent. Since I have almost all the gear I lusted for, I should shut that puppy down. Love our stereo and love Decware and all those involved in this quest. Happy listening, Chris.

CSP3, Rachael, ZP3, ZMC 1, Sony ES Bluray, Schitt Bitfrost DAC,Sota Star TT w/ FR-64, Hana SL Low Output Moving coil, Omega 7XRS Mk 2 walnut, DeepOmega 8 sub, Morrow Audio PH3 and MA3 IC's, Gamma Electrostatic phones.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print