Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/18/24 at 23:20:03 

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
ZROCK or pair of subs? (Read 35211 times)
JohnnyB

ZROCK or pair of subs?
07/11/18 at 00:17:19

Ok, I have been waffling for quite sometime now about adding sub(s) to my system.  Currently running Woo WTP-1 transport into Woo WDS-1 DAC then feeding CSP3 to LTA ZOTL 10 or SE84UFO2.  I love both amps and can’t seem to make a choice on which one I like better, it depends on which one I’m currently listening to, LOL!  It’s good to have options, right?  My speakers are Omega Super Alnico High Output Monitors on Skylan stands.  I was going to get dual Rythmik subs or have Louis make me 2 subs that Match the Cherry wood of the SAHO Monitors but I have read that other members swear by the ZROCK for bass support.  ZROCK much cheaper than 2 subs as well as much easier to get by the wife, lol!!  Any opinions on which way to go?  My room is quite large and would take two 15” subs to “pressurize” the room according to Rythmik.  Not a bass head just looking for some low end support.  

Thanks,

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Re: ZROCK or pair of subs?
Reply #1 - 07/11/18 at 00:48:01

If it were me, I'd get the ZROCK II and see how you like it.  Even if you add a sub or two later, the ZROCK is still useful. I have ZROCKs in both my systems.  In the main system I have an older Omega deep hemp sub but I might not have found it needed if I had the ZROCK first.  The Omega Subs are pretty nice and flexible.  I'd recommend adding one if the ZROCK doesn't get you where you want to be. Mark.

"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with the concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, deceptions, and spoils;
The motions of his spirit are dull as night and his affections dark as Hell. Let no such man be trusted." William Shakespeare
  IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 07/11/18 at 00:58:15

I'm with Mark on the ZROCK2.  Best addition to my system, by far!  With it, I would never consider a sub -- no need.

ZLC
Technics 1200G TT w/ Ortofon Jubilee MC cart
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Homemade Big Betsy Speakers (F15s)
Silver Cabling
DIY Isolation platforms under amps & TT.
  IP Logged
JohnnyB

Reply #3 - 07/11/18 at 01:17:23

Thanks Mark and Archie!!  I guess the ZROCK makes the most sense as the first step.  Can always use the ZROCK with the subs if it comes to that.

IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 07/11/18 at 01:34:55

My HR1s are spec'd down to 32HZ and until I got the ZROCK2 I never really heard their low end properly.

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
JohnnyB

Reply #5 - 07/11/18 at 01:35:16

Any recommendations on what Caps to have it built with?

IP Logged
Jeff of Arabica
Seasoned Member

Name the greatest of
all inventors...
Accident.

Reply #6 - 07/11/18 at 01:56:04

I could be wrong, but I am not sure anyone here has had an opportunity to hear the ZROCK2 with more than one cap type.  With that said, I got the Type II Jupiter Copper Foil caps and love it, but I have not heard any other caps in this device.  I am afraid everyone else, except Steve will be in the same boat.  You will get varying opinions from others who have a particular cap type but none of us have a real point of reference when it comes to comparing the cap types we chose with any of the others in our system.  Probably best to give Steve a holler to really understand the differences. each may make in your system.  

Do note, if you choose the Jupiter Type II's or the VCap's, it make the ZROCK2 non-refundable.

Canary Audio Grand Reference Monos//ZMA//Zen Ultra//Taboo MKIII//Waversa DAC3//ModWright Oppo UDP-205// PS Audio P20//Canary Audio MC-10//Van den Hul Colibri "Stradivarius"//FFYX T1803 TT//SonoruS Reel-to-Reel & tube playback preamp//Tannoy Westminster Speakers
  IP Logged
JohnnyB

Reply #7 - 07/11/18 at 02:08:51

Thanks Jeff, probably right in giving Steve a holler.  Seems like the ZROCK will be a welcome addition regardless of the caps, just need to find out what the Micro differences would be between the different caps.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #8 - 07/11/18 at 11:04:03

Good choice on the ZROCK2--it's a wonderful component that will benefit the entire system.

I haven't heard different cap choices in the ZROCK2. I have had three different caps in two different CSP2+ preamps and a CSP3 though: the stock, the Type I beeswax and the Type II. I believe I have a sense of the differences in the caps. The stock are good. . . great really. They have a touch of warmth and solidity that is quite involving and are probably the most "forgiving" choice. The Type I brings a dash more detail and "openness" and the Type II another dash to the point that with the Type II yoiu don't really feel you are listening to the caps, you forget about that aspect. That does come with a bit of a downside in my system though--a medicare recording is more fully revealed as wanting. And bad recordings don't stay in the player long. . . .

I would match whatever caps you have in other Decware components you might have. . . or go for the gusto and get the Type II. (I have no experience with V-Caps).

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
JohnnyB

Reply #9 - 07/11/18 at 16:21:53

Thanks Lon, I should've looked at the ZROCK equipment forum first.  Steve discussed the difference in the Caps and seems to like the ones you opted for in your ZROCK2  :).

https://www.decware.com/cgi-bin/yabb22/YaBB.pl?num=1509221241

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #10 - 07/11/18 at 16:25:43

Cool, I forgot about that thread! Wink

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
JohnnyB

Reply #11 - 07/11/18 at 16:36:48

I guess you can't go wrong with the Jupiter TypeII caps.  Need to get one of these bad boys ordered!!

IP Logged
Ace-Tone
Seasoned Member

8+ years with
Decware gear and
Loving it!!!

Reply #12 - 07/11/18 at 16:40:34

JB, Good choice. ZR2 w/type II caps have made a great impact on my system too! You'll be fine.

SE84UFO25, ZP3, Zstage, ZR2, ZSB, DM947, HERESY iii
VPI-Traveler2 +SS Zephyr MKIIIes.
Cambridge CXC. Schiit Bimby DAC
IC's Audio Envy, Decware, RAC-PC's, Mapleshade Dbl Helix+Spkr wires & jumpers
Blue Circle PLC FX2X0e, Herbies, GIK, PI Audio DIY treatment
  IP Logged
JohnnyB

Reply #13 - 07/11/18 at 18:24:54

Thank You All for your input!!!  Any reservations I had about the ZR2 are now gone!!!  Now need to get off my butt and order one, LOL!!! Grin

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #14 - 07/31/18 at 04:36:19

And please give us a full report of the results when you get it! : )  

When I read your question, a great one btw, the things that flash through my head are these:

1) Are the speakers capable of more bass?

2) Subwoofers can do nothing for midrange tone and the ZROCK's midrange tone is really almost its biggest selling point.

With regard to 1), many speakers that don't seem to have much bass can actually have a lot of it with a little help. Others don't respond well to the help. For example, the NFX speaker design in our DIY section of the web site use a single 8 inch full range driver in a fully vented cabinet where the vent area is top to bottom on both sides, so bass below 50Hz is obsolete. This is at least what we thought until one night we put an amplifier on them that had a bass control and turned that control up a bit. It was amazing, suddenly the speaker easily reached 35Hz and sounded full doing it.

With regard to 2), subwoofers become more and more problematic as the fidelity of a system gets higher and higher. This is because the larger heavier cones have more moving mass to deal with the extra power so that distortion is not developed in the cone. The drawback to this is that the higher moving mass slows everything down and the speed of the subwoofer can no longer keep up with the speed of the more efficient driver you're listening to. So any time you can figure out a way to not use a subwoofer you're usually better off.

As a side note, in the 1950's a subwoofer used a high efficiency 15 inch driver in a 28 cubic foot folded horn that was the same sizde as your side-by-side refrigerator in the kitchen.  These were fast.  Today we try to shrink that performance down to a cube and make the woofer move 20 times farther to compensate for the 20 times smaller box.  it's pitiful.

I would say that at modest volumes the majority of speakers would be able to put out more usable bass and lower useable bass without getting into the associated distortions, and even a speaker that rolls off at 50Hz, just hearing 50 Hz up to 12dB or more louder than you are with the added bonus of the midrange bloom would be no different than hearing your speakers sound twice as good as they ever have.

To get the midrange magic I'm talking about you have to understand two things:

1) The bass and the midrange are not separable like we think they are.

2) The harmonics of the two must be perfectly matched for audio nirvana to take place.

So again, with regard to 1) When you hear a kick drum tuned to 40Hz and record that drum you see it has harmonics up past 20kHz.  So you delete them to see what would happen and kill everything past say 500Hz. Drum sounds like turd hitting a Rubbermaid garbage can.  

So when we take a recording of the kick drum and play it back on a system that spits the signal to go between a subwoofer and a speaker, each with different phase angles and different locations in the room, that intimate link in the harmonics is broken. Harmonics are like DNA.

We listen to the drum kit recording on a speaker that has a single voice coil doing all the music with no crossover and we can easily hear that the tone of the drum suggests it's made from maple, whereas a different kick drum is made from birch. We can tell the type of drum head is on the drum and even the type of mallets and peddles are used. We can tell how the microphone(s) were placed, if the drum had pillows in it, if there was a hole in it, etc, etc, etc. All this information comes from the harmonics, so the lesson there is don't jack with the integrity of the harmonics by splitting it up into different amplifiers and even in some cases different drivers in a multi-way speaker.

With regard to 2) Audio nirvana happens when high-fidelity playback breaks the "reality barrier" and becomes indistinguishable from live. Something only possible in systems that have perfect harmonic accuracy relative to itself... things that skew this accuracy are basically time delays occurring between the input and output of amplifiers (called phase angle) and loudspeaker drivers and crossovers. Also negative feedback in amplifiers and subwoofers especially can create severe and irreparable timing errors in the music. This is in fact why main stream high-power solid-state and tube hi-fi of today can't get there.  

You might ask why engineers who design solid-state and tube amplifiers would use negative feedback if this were happening and the reason is that the distortion figures of an amplifier are lower with it. Ironically it is called "harmonic distortion" that is reduced by negative feedback when I've just pointed out that what destroys harmonics are phase-angle differences between the recording and the playback system relative to the start time.  Obviously there is a discrepancy between what looks good on paper and oscilloscopes to an Electrical Engineer (which also is what sells amplifiers to the masses) and what actually sounds good enough to create true audio nirvana...

You are twice as likely to find audio nirvana with a ZROCK on a single pair of speakers with a good no or low feedback amplifier as you are with a subwoofer, I can guarantee it... unless you want to build a REAL subwoofer, like the 28 cubic foot folded horn I mentioned. That is your choices. And Ironically if you can build a folded horn cabinet that big for a 15 inch driver for real sub bass, you'll find the similar thing to the ZROCK in that everything you play through it above that frequency also sounds better due to the richness of scale.  So then you turn your "real" subwoofer project into a full range speaker by ditching the low pass crossover and running it full-range with in some cases help from a good tweeter.  

Come to think of it, everything Decware makes comes from specific voicing or memories of things I've heard that I like, and the ZROCK rather brilliantly mimics the sound of a Decware Imperial folded horn. That is to say it makes little speaker sound like one. God only knows what would happen if you actually paired a ZROCK with an Imperial!!!

Don't worry, I'm on it.

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
JohnnyB

Reply #15 - 07/31/18 at 13:57:29

Awesome!!!  Thanks for all the feedback Steve, you have a knack for explaining why things work or they don't so that a very wide audience can understand it.  That's very helpful to someone like me without a technical background!!!  I really do appreciate it and will let you know how the ZROCK works out for me.  

Thanks Again,

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #16 - 07/31/18 at 14:25:32

I agree, that's a great explanation. I need another ZROCK2 for my second system. I think I'll order one now. . . figure out how to pay for it later! Wink This way I can get on the build list and have time to sell a few things. . . .

IP Logged
Tone-Deaf
Seasoned Member

Reply #17 - 07/31/18 at 15:17:09

I bought a Decware SE84C in 2003, and speakers that had a 95 db sensitivity, and a range of 55hz to 20khz.  When purchasing the amp, I was primarily concerned with the volume and wanted to get a pretty high efficiency speaker, and I did not think too much about the deep bass.  I was happy with the volume, and I found that the supposed limitations with the amp on power and lack of tone controls were actually not very big issues to me.  But it ended up getting light use, and I never quite “warmed up” to the sound.  

Fast forward to 2018, I began thinking of replacing my main system (which includes a Marantz 2270 receiver from about 1976, so it is pretty out of date), and pulled out the Decware amp and speakers to give it another listen.  After listening to a wide range of music over several months, it finally became clear to me that my issue with the sound was the weakness of the lower bass frequencies.  

This weakness showed up clearly on music that included the bottom octave in the bass line, but also showed up in the balance between instruments that I think of as largely in the mid-range.  For example, in large orchestral music, the strings were always prominent, to the point that horns were noticeably subdued.  I now think the reason is that the tone of the horns includes lots of deep bass, and without that bass the horns tended to drop back in the mix.  

Finally (after only 15 years!) I hooked up the speakers from my main system to the SE84C.  Those speakers are less sensitive (probably around 89db), but I think probably go down to about 35 to 40 Hz.  While those speakers played softer and clip if the amp was turned all the way up, the tonal balance was now what I was used to.  I now have a much clearer view of how good the low power SET amp sounds – my issue was with the bass response of the speakers and not with bass response of the amp.

Reading Steve’s post has given me some confidence that I correctly understand what I am hearing, and that weakness of the deepest bass frequencies impact how I perceive the balance of instruments that I think are mostly operating in the “mid-range.”  I am still left with the question that Steve poses – “Are the speakers capable of more bass” (in which case the Zrock might fix it), or do I need to get speakers with a wider range (like DNA horns, or the future DNA2 horns).

Sorry for the (long) first post, but this thread is exactly on point on issues I have been thinking about.  And thanks to all the board participants for the educational posts.

IP Logged
JohnnyB

Reply #18 - 07/31/18 at 16:11:02

Touche Lon!!!  I think I might do the same!!!

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #19 - 07/31/18 at 16:17:10

:)

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #20 - 08/01/18 at 01:40:00

Tone-Deaf,

Welcome back and thanks for your post!  The way to find out if your speakers are up to the task of making bass with a little help is pretty easy.  Just download a frequency generator app for your phone, plug in a 3.5mm stereo to male RCA cable and us it as your source.  Use the app to slowly play individual frequencies in the bass region.   Find out what the lowest frequency the speaker will play that you can still feel, set it on that frequency and then see how far you can turn up the volume before the speaker begins to distort.  I did this last week while checking a pair of our DM945 bookshelf speakers and found they easily can shake the room at 35Hz.

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Brian
Seasoned Member

Reply #21 - 08/01/18 at 04:36:46

JohnnyB said:  
"My room is quite large and would take two 15” subs to “pressurize” the room according to Rythmik."

I am not at all educated on Bass theory. What is meant by pressurize the room?  If it were me, I would only want to hear the music, not feel it; and would think that any speakers that produced the bass notes at the loudness of the midrange would be good. Is this not how it works? Perhaps Rythmik was making a recommendation for Bass that is going to be felt.  Is that right?

Brian

IP Logged
Tone-Deaf
Seasoned Member

Reply #22 - 08/01/18 at 04:49:37

Steve - thank you for the reply, and the clear suggestion about how to assess if the Zrock can help "extend" the deep bass on a particular speaker.  It makes total sense to me, and I will try that in the near future.

And again, I appreciate the insight you and the members of this forum provide in these posts - very helpful!

IP Logged
JohnnyB

Reply #23 - 08/01/18 at 12:38:54

Brian,

I'm not up on bass theories either but I did let the guys at Rythmik know the subs would be used strictly for 2 channel listening as well and not H/T.  If you're at a live show and you're close enough to the stage you would definitely get that sense of feeling the pressure generated by the instruments and amps though.  Even if you can't "feel" the hit of the moving air I suspect you get the feeling it's there.  I think that this "pressurizing" would give the rest of the higher frequencies a nice "wave" to ride on and improve overall sound too.  Not sure if I'm close or not, someone out there can probably do better than that or correct me, LOL!!!      

IP Logged
JohnnyB

Reply #24 - 08/02/18 at 01:09:01

Ok, before I place my order for the ZROCK2 does anyone have ANY insider information in regards to mid-summer discounts?  Special forum member discounts?  Hey!!  I think Steve likes me discounts?  Not sure if I can wait until Christmas time to receive the Holiday percentage off deal either.  If no one has any of this information then perhaps I can order this ZR2 and put it on Lon’s account!!   Grin Grin Cheesy Cheesy.  Lon, you OK with this?

IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #25 - 08/02/18 at 01:24:09

Whenever it is, it will be 5 minutes after you hit the buy button!   Grin

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #26 - 08/02/18 at 01:26:59

I'm not aware of any discounts. Can't hurt to try though, give Sarah or Steve a call!

I'm afraid I don't have an account with Decware to use or not use. If I had one it's drained. . . I ordered a second ZROCK2 this week.

Hope you place an order and get on the build list!

IP Logged
JohnnyB

Reply #27 - 08/02/18 at 02:03:24

Archie is right on the $$, Lol!!  You guys wait and see if a special discount pops up tomorrow’s after Lon and I have ordered our ZROCK2’s!!  

Just kidding, in comparison to what other companies are getting for their gear Decware is an absolute steal!!  The value per dollar is off the charts in my opinion.   Christ!!  I could easily spend 20k - 30k on a boutique amp and not have the same build quality, sound quality and support as I get with my SE84UFO2 and CSP3 amps. Thanks Steve for being a brilliant mind and a down to earth common man all at the same time.   Smiley Wink. You don’t find people like Steve around too often.

IP Logged
Brian
Seasoned Member

Reply #28 - 08/02/18 at 04:01:45

Thank you, Johnny for the reply.

Brian

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #29 - 08/03/18 at 04:44:31

Due to the human hearing curve, which is not flat, bass that is perceived as loud as the midrange is in reality about twice as loud as the midrange.

WWW   IP Logged
JohnnyB

Reply #30 - 08/03/18 at 12:04:00

Interesting Steve, that never occurred to me.  Is that why you can hear the little Honda Civic with two 18” woofers coming from literally a mile away?   Grin Grin

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #31 - 08/04/18 at 03:08:21

No, the reason the Honda Civic can be heard literally miles away is because when the first subs went into the car (a pair of 12's), the owner came back two weeks later and said something was wrong with them -- claiming that there isn't as much bass as there was when he picked it up.  So after explaining that the problem was hearing compression from too much loud listening and the system actually had more bass now than two weeks ago, the insistent owner twisted the salesman's arm until two 18's went in there.  Two weeks later the car returned with the same problem.  All that it would have taken to fix the problem is the owner taking a couple weeks off from listening to his stereo but now that the owner is basically deaf, he plays the stereo as loud as it will go everywhere he travels.  

Yes, they are idiots.  You have to give them a little slack though, I mean what do they have to drive these days?  None of them knows what a wrench does, there are no such thing as muscle cars and you can't listen to the headers roar anymore, so horsepower of the 1950's has been replaced by turd-slapping bass in front wheel drive sowing machines called Hondas.

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
JohnnyB

Reply #32 - 08/04/18 at 03:45:45

Lol!!  Love it!!  All kidding aside it must be difficult to gear a great sounding car audio system for the driver position considering the driver sits in the front left quadrant of a very small listening room.  Can probably tune it better with the old balance and fade controls and 4 speakers rather than today’s 10 to 20 speaker systems.  But......if you’re just cranking bass heavy tunes then the two 18’s will suffice.  Sorry, this thread has gone in a different direction.  Back to the ZR2, ordering mine on Sunday with Beeswax Type II’s, silver jacks and either ebony or gold knob.  Does anyone have an ebony knob on their Decware gear?  If so, do you like it?

IP Logged
Jeff of Arabica
Seasoned Member

Name the greatest of
all inventors...
Accident.

Reply #33 - 08/04/18 at 06:31:20

Ive got an ebony knob on my ZSB and ZBIT.  I will say it is my favorite of all the knobs I have - which are ebony, black chicken head, and gold.  Looks beautiful and feels warm and smooth compared to my plastic and metal knobs - a tactile thing.

Canary Audio Grand Reference Monos//ZMA//Zen Ultra//Taboo MKIII//Waversa DAC3//ModWright Oppo UDP-205// PS Audio P20//Canary Audio MC-10//Van den Hul Colibri "Stradivarius"//FFYX T1803 TT//SonoruS Reel-to-Reel & tube playback preamp//Tannoy Westminster Speakers
  IP Logged
Jeff of Arabica
Seasoned Member

Name the greatest of
all inventors...
Accident.

Reply #34 - 08/04/18 at 06:54:46

And to add to the sub discussion, it really also depends on how you intend to implement and power the sub(s).  Do you intend to run and active or passive crossover?  Will there be a dedicated amp for the sub? Or will you run it in parallel with your stereo speakers?

There are many things to consider when making this decision.  I think the ZROCK2 is a great device, but it will never supplant a sub or bass driver in certain situations.  Defining your spectrum of bass needs is important in determining if a low bass driver of some type is necessary.  Is this for music only?  If so, what type of music?  Low bass requirements is dependent on the music you listen to.  Will this system also service your home theater needs?  Movies will work your bass drivers in ways music will not.  

Also, I have personally run through several amplifiers to drive my dual 15” Caintuck OB Augie’s.  The amp matters.  If considering a passive bass driver needing amplification, don’t assume any old amp will do.  Will it do?  Yes.  But “do” is a matter of preference.   Berringer, Crown, Dayton, did not “do” it for me.  They are fine.  But when I have invested so much into my system, I sought better and it made a difference and the added cost is to this day without regret.  

I like my ZROCK2 and I like my bass drivers/amp.  I would not be without either.  I think the ZROCK2 is a wise first choice if your typical music is not low bass hungry, or you are not assigning your system to Home Theater duty.  Otherwise, a logical next step will be to integrate a thoughtfully specified bass driver and amp combo.  

At the end of the day, we love our gear don’t we?  Finding a rational reason to support our already made up minds is what we do best.  

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #35 - 08/04/18 at 11:46:32

JohnnyB wrote on 08/04/18 at 03:45:45:
Lol!!  Love it!!  All kidding aside it must be difficult to gear a great sounding car audio system for the driver position considering the driver sits in the front left quadrant of a very small listening room.  Can probably tune it better with the old balance and fade controls and 4 speakers rather than today’s 10 to 20 speaker systems.  But......if you’re just cranking bass heavy tunes then the two 18’s will suffice.  Sorry, this thread has gone in a different direction.  Back to the ZR2, ordering mine on Sunday with Beeswax Type II’s, silver jacks and either ebony or gold knob.  Does anyone have an ebony knob on their Decware gear?  If so, do you like it?  

Like Jeff, the ebony knobs are my favorite. The feel is wonderful, and they look very nice on the black chassis top. I must like them, I have them on my ZROCK2, my ZBIT, my CSP3-25, my SE84UFO3-25 Monoblocks and my Taboo Mk IV. I just ordered another ZROCk2 with the Type II caps and an ebony knob.

And in a silly way I like them because they remind me of a "circum dot," a symbol I kept running into in my studies of antiquity: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Circled_dot

IP Logged
JohnnyB

Reply #36 - 08/04/18 at 12:15:07

Thanks guys!!  Ebony it is then, it does seem more of an elegant look and have more worldly meaning.

Jeff, thanks for digging into this.  There is a lot to think about besides buying 2 powered subs and setting them somewhere in the front of the room.  The plan was 2 powered subs running in parallel with the Omega Super Alnico High Output Monitors.  Hadn’t yet thought of how I would integrate those.  Use the Mono Output on the CSP3?  High level from amp?  Placement?  Settings?  All I read about integrating sub(s) is it can be a tough task so I’m thinking you’re right and the ZR2 is a very logical first step.  I have older Mirage OM6’s with built in subs handling H/T duties so the subs would strictly be for music on main rig.  Lol!!  Even more reasons to support my made up mind.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #37 - 08/04/18 at 13:53:52

Johnny B, I too am not technically inclined but this doesn't stop me from having opinions. Smiley  If it were me, if the ZROCK II didn't get me where I wanted Bass-wise, I would buy one of Omegas Subs, they have a variable frequency adjustment and gain adjustment as well as a phase switch on the plate amp, a Dayton I believe, that makes integration easy...at least it was for me. If one didn't float my boat, I'd add another. Louis has offered various sub designs in the past, 12" front firing and bottom firing sealed, so if you aren't sure you want the one option he now sells, a bottom firing 8"...I'm sure he could make one or two custom subs for you.

I have my sub hooked up with the speaker level connections to my Torii MK IV Amp, I think this is what Louis recommended.  From what I have read, it helps with integration.  

Those 15 inch open baffles that our fellow decware member makes sound pretty awesome too.  Mark.

"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with the concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, deceptions, and spoils;
The motions of his spirit are dull as night and his affections dark as Hell. Let no such man be trusted." William Shakespeare
  IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #38 - 08/04/18 at 14:31:25

On the knob debate. I ordered my first ZROCK II with a black Chicken head knob but it came with a gold knob...I've been meaning to call Sarah and get a White Chicken Head sent.  The second ZROCK II I bought used had a white chicken head knob and it makes knowing where it is turned to much easier to see. I preferred it from the moment I started using it.  The newly purchased Rachael also has a white chicken head...all my other gear has the gold knobs.  Mark.

IP Logged
Reddy Kilowatt
Verified Member

Reply #39 - 08/05/18 at 01:07:46

JohnnyB,

One more vote for the ebony knob, for the same reasons as Jeff & Lon. It looks classy and feels great. You can't visually tell where the volume is set, but if you turn the volume knob down before firing up the day after "party mode" was engaged, it's not a problem.

IP Logged
Tone-Deaf
Seasoned Member

Reply #40 - 08/05/18 at 01:15:41

So I finished testing my speakers and they do not look like they would be helped by the Zrock.  The bass response drops off rapidly at around 50 hz, and when I turn up the amp, it starts distorting before it gets very loud.  

Maybe a sub would help me, but I think a more logical first step is to replace the speaker with ones that have frequency response that goes lower than 55 hz, and then decide on further steps.  In any case, I am glad to have a clearer picture of what my present speakers are capable of.

JohnnyB, I hope the Zrock does the trick on your speakers, and I will be watching for your reports on how it works for you.  It looks like you have some low end that the Zrock can work on.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #41 - 08/05/18 at 01:51:15

On my ZROCK2 Steve has set it up so that the set screw that is in the knob is at the 12 o'clock position (which is for all practical purposes "bypass"). So that if you are right at the ZROCK2 you can see where 2 or 3 or 4 etc. o'clock position is by seeing where the set screw is. Doesn't help you across the room, but in my case helps me where it counts.

IP Logged
JohnnyB

Reply #42 - 08/05/18 at 19:16:43

Mark, that’s exactly where I’m going to go if the ZROCK doesn’t get me where I want to be.  There’s no doubt in my mind th3 ZR2 will make an improvement, just need to see if it’s what I’m looking for.  Why not try the easy way out first and if I need a sub or two after the fact I will have the ZR2 to play ari7nd with as well.  Louis told me he would make whatever I wanted and did have suggestions of front firing subs.  Another benefi of having Louis make something custom is he can match the subs wood grain / color to my Cherry Alnicos rather than having just a black box.

IP Logged
JohnnyB

Reply #43 - 11/02/18 at 03:12:49

Ok, I dropped the ball on this a few months back as summer was in full swing and this took a back seat but with winter around the corner here in the Northeast it’s time.  As I was reinvestigating everything I saw that the ZR2 has a 15 volt maximum input.  I have a CSP3 which states in the spec sheet that it has an adjustable output from 0-30 volts.  If I place the ZR2 between the CSP3 and amp is there a chance I can overload it?  Then I read on the CSP3 layout page that you can adjust the outputs to between 0 and 6 volts.  So my questions are:

1. What’s the correct adjustable voltage output of the CSP3? (0-30v) or (0-6v)
2. For the guys who are running both a CSP3 and ZR2, where in your audio chain of equipment did you place it?

Thanks in advance for your help,

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #44 - 11/02/18 at 05:46:02

Johnny, I am running my ZROCK2 in between my ZBIT (fed by my ZRTPRE) and my CSP3-25, which then feeds my SE84UFO3-25 Monoblocks.

The only time I encounter "overloading" is when there is very heavy low frequency energy in the material (mostly DVD or Blu-ray, occasionally heavily EQ'd Redbook) and the ZROCK2 is "dialed up" heavily with its own gain up and EQ boosting the bass. It's rare to experience the overload and distortion, and it's easily fixed with dialing back the ZROCK2, or "riding the gain" in the system, which in my system can be by adjusting gain from my DAC, ZTPRE, ZBIT, ZROCK2, CSP3-25 or the amplifiers. LOL.

I too wondered if this would be an issue, and it really isn't, or very rarely is.

IP Logged
JohnnyB

Reply #45 - 11/02/18 at 12:34:28

Thanks Lon,

I guess the trial and error approach would work here as well since you can place the ZR2 almost anywhere.  That’s funny that you have 5(6) different ways to adjust the gain in your system!!  I’ve got 2 or 3 depending on what amp I’m using and that alone causes me anxiety thinking I can tweak it to sound just a little better!!  Lol!!  

Does anyone know why there’s 2 different statements regarding the adjustable output voltages on the CSP3?  Layout section says (0-6) / Specs (0-30).  I did just notice after reading this for the 100th time that it says 0-30 volts RMS and 0-6 volts. Difference in RMS volts and volts?

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #46 - 11/02/18 at 13:02:59

Johnny, I don't have the answer about the volts except to say that the CSP3 will put out GOBS of voltage, and the ZTPRE even a sixth more or so. I need the gain as my DAC output is less than 4 volts using the balanced output, and the amps really like voltage into the input. I have the ZTPRE gain turned up about halfway and usually the volume full up (even though I have a remote installed I don't often use it), my ZBIT at about 90 percent, my CSP3-25 at about 40 percent output, and my SE84UFO3-25 amps at about 85 percent gain. The ZROCK2 is at about 2 to 4 o'clock. Everytime I play around I end up in about this configuration so I don't often play around with the gain, most tinkering is with the ZROCK2 and I use the volume on the CSP3-26 mostly to control volume between sources and selections.

Hopefully Steve will chime in about the voltage specs differences.

IP Logged
JohnnyB

Reply #47 - 11/02/18 at 13:24:12

Thanks Lon,

Same here, I end up tinkering around and up with about the same levels on all the devices!!  LOL!!  Creatures of habit I guess, or we like what we like.  So it sounds like you're definitely using the ZR2 as anything past 12 o'clock puts it in the mix.  Going to put my order in for real this weekend and then patiently wait.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #48 - 11/02/18 at 14:03:18

We like what we like. And yes, I feel the ZROCK2 is the vital key ingredient in my satisfaction. As Johnny Slate noted elsewhere in the forum, my room situation sucks bass energy and the ZROCK2 allows me to compensate for that remarkably. It's my saving grace and with some adjustment I can almost always get just the right tonal balance. I'm sold on the ZROCK2 and one day will get another for my second system. Wink

IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #49 - 11/02/18 at 16:10:30

Quote:
Does anyone know why there’s 2 different statements regarding the adjustable output voltages on the CSP3?  Layout section says (0-6) / Specs (0-30).  I did just notice after reading this for the 100th time that it says 0-30 volts RMS and 0-6 volts. Difference in RMS volts and volts?

I think it might be an artifact from an older version of the manual.  I've always read that the CSP3 puts out 30 volts.  Of course, that depends on what the input voltage is.

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print