Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/28/24 at 21:30:21 

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
ZROCK or pair of subs? (Read 34585 times)
Archie
Seasoned Member

Re: ZROCK or pair of subs?
Reply #50 - 11/02/18 at 16:15:11

Quote:
Ok, I dropped the ball on this a few months back as summer was in full swing and this took a back seat but with winter around the corner here in the Northeast it’s time.  As I was reinvestigating everything I saw that the ZR2 has a 15 volt maximum input.  I have a CSP3 which states in the spec sheet that it has an adjustable output from 0-30 volts.  If I place the ZR2 between the CSP3 and amp is there a chance I can overload it?  Then I read on the CSP3 layout page that you can adjust the outputs to between 0 and 6 volts.  So my questions are:

1. What’s the correct adjustable voltage output of the CSP3? (0-30v) or (0-6v)
2. For the guys who are running both a CSP3 and ZR2, where in your audio chain of equipment did you place it?

You are right to be concerned about overloading the ZR2.  Originally I had mine after my CSP3 (due mainly to the convenience of having my 2 sources feed through it via the CSP3) but not long after I put it in front of the CSP3.  I no longer worry about overloading it which was an occasional problem for me.  I do have to swap cable though on the rare occasion I use my 2nd source.

ZLC
Technics 1200G TT w/ Ortofon Jubilee MC cart
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Homemade Big Betsy Speakers (F15s)
Silver Cabling
DIY Isolation platforms under amps & TT.
  IP Logged
JohnnyB

Reply #51 - 11/02/18 at 17:10:50

Thanks Archie,

I always figured the CSP3 could adjust output volts from 1-30 not withstanding what the amount of input volts but I guess that's completely wrong  :o.  I guess this thread has gotten off the ZR2 theme and has morphed into a CSP3 thread.

IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #52 - 11/03/18 at 01:00:22

I made the opposite assumption.  I guess I don't know for sure.  I know that's how the ZP3 works though.

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
JohnnyB

Reply #53 - 11/03/18 at 13:06:28

I rarely spin vinyl so having the ZR2 between DAC and CSP3 probably makes the most sense.  On those rare occasions I want to play records I can always do the same Archie and swap cables. Not a huge deal since I can get to the back of the equipment pretty easily. Wink

IP Logged
JohnnyB

Reply #54 - 11/03/18 at 13:09:31

You are right to be concerned about overloading the ZR2.  Originally I had mine after my CSP3 (due mainly to the convenience of having my 2 sources feed through it via the CSP3) but not long after I put it in front of the CSP3.  I no longer worry about overloading it which was an occasional problem for me.  I do have to swap cable though on the rare occasion I use my 2nd source

Just out of curiosity, whattype of martial was giving you the issue?

IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #55 - 11/03/18 at 18:56:21

Quote:
Just out of curiosity, what type of material was giving you the issue?

I don't remember off hand but some recordings that were recorded at lower levels needed more boost from the CSP3 and seemed to approach some distortion.  Rather than mess with settings between the CSP3 and ZMA pots, I found it easier to swap positions.  I think I like the sound better overall as well.  Certainly the ZR2 settings changed.

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
JohnnyB

Reply #56 - 11/27/18 at 19:23:13

Quote:

I see a Lon from OH on the build list, did you order another ZR2 like you said you were going to?  I finally ordered mine during the Black Friday sale with the exact same configurations!!!  Can't wait to hear it in my system!!  Hell, I can't wait to get on the build list!!! Grin Grin

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #57 - 11/27/18 at 19:42:29

Hi Johnny, yes, I ordered mine a week before the Black Friday sale. Long wait ahead, but I'm eager to hear the unit. Glad you are in the queue!

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
JohnnyB

Reply #58 - 11/28/18 at 14:31:58

[quote]Step 1...just select and highlight the text portion that you wish to quote from someone’s comments.  
Step 2.....Then hit reply at the bottom of the page.

Step 3...Once the new window opens....Select the icon that has the picture of a document with right hand blue arrow. ( the icon next to the # sign).  Then place the cursor in the middle of the quotes, then paste your copied text and hit reply.

Easy Peasy. [quote]

OK, I think I finally figured this out as well!!!  LOL!!!

Thanks Lon

IP Logged
JohnnyB

Reply #59 - 11/28/18 at 14:35:49

Quote:
Easy Peasy.

Nope

IP Logged
rodcad
Verified Member

Reply #60 - 12/09/18 at 16:27:20

It seems like as one goes up the food chain into higher end audio, tone controls are lost in favor of going pure, listening to recordings just as the artist recorded it. I get that. I also get that there are a million variables in listening environments and systems. Back in the day I always just left my tone controls in the flat or neutral position.

So my question is this. Why aren't Zrocks's (or tone controls in general) just built into pre-amps anymore?

Incoming UFO3's or UFO25, (2)Zkit1's, PS Audio Digital Link III, LR laptop, Cornwall's.
  IP Logged
JohnnyB

Reply #61 - 12/10/18 at 17:40:41

Quote:
So my question is this. Why aren't Zrocks's (or tone controls in general) just built into pre-amps anymore?

Don't think there's an easy answer to that question.  Probably partly implementation and partly haughty audiophile attitude.  I thought Steve addressed somewhere on the forum the how's and why's of the extinct tone controls and EQ's.  On the 2nd part, what audiophile wants to explain to friends that the sound coming from their expensive $100,000 (probably undershot that figure) TOTL source/preamp/amp/speakers need to be altered to sound good?!  I may be completely off base but I feel the same way about my not so expensive rig  ;D Grin.  I guess since the ZR2 is a separate piece of audiophile equipment it makes it OK Grin Grin.  I'm hoping it takes my rig to the next level once in my system which I think it will judging by others positive reviews!!

IP Logged
rodcad
Verified Member

Reply #62 - 12/10/18 at 18:31:00

I see your speakers are capable of: "Frequency Response: 38-20kHz". I know I'm not the brightest bulb in the box but common sense tells me you shouldn't need a sub and that an amp simply amplifies the signal it's given. Generally then, is the need for a Zrock due to a poor source? Is there a weak link in the chain of all these systems that requires the use of a Zrock?  Is it these small speakers just need more oomph to get the bass out of them? Do we all need to buy some Cornwalls?

Incoming UFO3's or UFO25, (2)Zkit1's, PS Audio Digital Link III, LR laptop, Cornwall's.
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #63 - 12/10/18 at 19:12:47

Tone controls in the old days WERE bad in that they messed with the signal. A little dab was okay, but hardly was a little dab needed. They disappeared in the "audiophile" market because it was difficult to make them transparent and they got many to believe they weren't needed. I tuned my system for a long time with tubes and cabling etc. until Steve put his treble cut circuit and bass controls on the Torii Mk III which really helped.

Bear in mind that the ZROCK2 is far more than a "tone control." It has two specific EQ curves each for a specific purpose. And there's a gain stage that is incorporated to work with the EQ stages. Does a lot more than "tone controls" and does it with transparency and grace.

I can't speak for everyone, but in my case my room eats up bass frequencies and I live with a very visually oriented wife who won't allow me room treatments, and I love my speakers, quite capable of putting out mega bass. I refuse to go back to listening near field in a small room, I did that for so long. . . no more if I can help it. A sub wouldn't really help with my bass needs.  The ZROCK2 has allowed me to get the bass frequencies I need, while attenuating treble to form a better balance, and enhance my system in so many subtle ways. I can't wait to get mine with the bypass mods in (though I know it will be a long wait).

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
rodcad
Verified Member

Reply #64 - 12/10/18 at 19:23:29

Thank you Lon. I guess I may as well go ahead and add a Zrock to my order  ;)

I find I like to do a lot of pretty low volume listening, my rocking out days are mostly past me, so from what I read a Zrock would add a lot.  ;)

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #65 - 12/10/18 at 19:32:23

It should. It does enhance lower volume listening.

IP Logged
lazb
Seasoned Member

Reply #66 - 12/10/18 at 20:11:52

Be sure and have Beeswax II caps, Beeswax bypass cap mod and Tube regulation mod to the ZROCK2 when using with the 25th anniversary modded ZEN amp!

IP Logged
rodcad
Verified Member

Reply #67 - 12/10/18 at 20:34:48

Oh yea. It's just money right? LOL

IP Logged
HockessinKid
Seasoned Member

Reply #68 - 12/10/18 at 23:17:35

Don't forget the silver RCA outputs. They're a must have.😀

HK

Nottingham Interspace TT w/ Audio Technica AT-OC9XML cart + Modwright PH 9.0XT phono OR Modwright modded Cambridge CNX V2 > CSP3-25th Ann. preamp > ZMA-25th Ann. amp > PI Audio UberBUSS > Caintuck Audio Lii15 Magnum speakers > Snake River Audio & ZenWave cables
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print