Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/27/24 at 00:02:49 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Series Bridged Output Tubes, 3? 4? (Read 2387 times)
Brian
Seasoned Member

Series Bridged Output Tubes, 3? 4?
06/16/18 at 02:46:06

If two output tubes per channel sound better than one, would three or four be better yet?

Brian

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Re: Series Bridged Output Tubes, 3? 4?
Reply #1 - 06/16/18 at 05:53:10

If you are referring to paralleled output tubes what you get is more power.  What you loose is transparency.  In my experience 3 sounds better than two and sounds better than 4 for reasons I haven't quite figured out because compared to a single tube they all suck.  Push-pull on the other hand is two tubes, but they are in series and only one at a time is heard so as long as the phase inverter has no notch distortion in the rated power band, single-ended transparency is possible.

Getting to your subject line, series bridged output tubes means each output tube is single-ended into a transformer and those transformers are connected in series with no connection to ground.  In this case the amp sounds nearly identical to what it did running in stereo, with no real loss of transparency.

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Brian
Seasoned Member

Re: Series Bridged Output Tubes, 3? 4?
Reply #2 - 06/17/18 at 03:03:21

Hi Steve,
Series Bridged as you describe in your second paragraph is what I meant.
Doing this with two output tubes & transformers is often mentioned here in the forum and on your web site, but I have never heard of doing this with more than two tubes & trannys per channel.  I am wondering if it would be a good sound.  

Brian

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print