Send Topic Print
Korg Headphone Amp (Read 5928 times)
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Korg Headphone Amp
04/09/18 at 03:44:54

Well really, it is a design using the Korg SP1 Nutube that Pete Millet came up with. What I have found out so far is that the combination of headphone/amp is very important here. The Ori is not the best match. The Hi-Fi Man HD600S is not the best match. By far, the Grado SR225e is the phone that sounds best with this amp. In my world that is great because until now, I didn't care much for the Grados. They were just too bright. The midrange was a touch forward. Not anymore. This is as good as it gets in this price range. The kit runs about $120 plus any upgrades that you want to add.

P4090001.JPG

Decware 34I.3 integrated amp/Forte' 3 bass amp/Velodyne SMS-1 bass mngmnt system/Decware ZOB speakers/Audio Nirvana 8" bass drivers/Xiang Seng DAC/ LR Audio Computer/Rega Apollo R CDP/Emotiva ERC3 CDP/BPT 3.0 power cond.
  IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Re: Korg Headphone Amp
Reply #1 - 04/28/18 at 04:27:41

Made some progress with this little amp. Do I like it? Pretty easy to say yes.

P4270004.JPG

Decware 34I.3 integrated amp/Forte' 3 bass amp/Velodyne SMS-1 bass mngmnt system/Decware ZOB speakers/Audio Nirvana 8" bass drivers/Xiang Seng DAC/ LR Audio Computer/Rega Apollo R CDP/Emotiva ERC3 CDP/BPT 3.0 power cond.
  IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #2 - 04/28/18 at 04:30:49

Had this cigar box given to me, and it turned out fine.

P4270003.JPG

IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #3 - 05/04/18 at 00:30:53

You guys know by now that I am never finished with a project. Thing is, I thought that the Korg HPA  was a little soft on top, so I connected this AR TDS202 to it. The AR unit is essentially a transformer with a bit of gain. Not only that, it has 'influence' on the bass, mid, and treble. I know, if something needs that much help, what's the point? Improved the sound, I hate to admit. Just better, you know?

P4280002.JPG

IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #4 - 05/23/18 at 03:41:13

Ok, since this amp has some possibilities given the price, I figured why not try out a 'new and improved' power supply? I went from a switching supply to a linear supply, and this is the same except for better specs. It is a tongue in cheek idea, but I like to experiment so here goes. A shot of the regulator that may be used in the new power supply:

P5230003.JPG

IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #5 - 05/24/18 at 18:24:13

As long as I am waiting on parts, and am willing to try some other options, I made this 24 volt 8 amp/hr battery arrangement for the headphone amp. Unlikely that I will run out of power. I am not going to try and advocate any difference in sound just yet, but I surely have no regrets by using this arrangement.

P5240002.JPG

IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #6 - 07/21/18 at 18:30:23

Man, this has gotten interesting. This headphone amp has an output to be used as a pre-amp. I ignored it until I was done with my tinkering with the power supply, resulting in what I preferred for a headphone amp. So, last night, I added some RCA connectors to the output, and hooked it up yo Rachael. The good news is that I am listening mostly to the pre-amp, and it's differences through my system. I like this because, I already know what Rachael sounds like, and have a bit less to process in the evaluation. Here is the interesting part. There is a midrange presence that is added which I really like. It doesn't make sense because part of that is what I am trying to tame about my speakers. It does add quite a bit to the presence of the hall. But Wait A Tick, something is quite different here. There is too much 'hall effect' that wasn't present before on my Lyle Lovett CD. THEN it dawns on me. The hall effect may very well be the microphonic aspect of these tubes! MAkes sense. CD plays music through system, speakers make sound, sound hits tubes causing the 'microphone' to be excited, microphone sends signal back through system... you get the idea. Kind of like owning an amp with a delay, almost echo. I will try this at lower volume today, and set the pre-amp away from the front of the speakers. Coll, but not cool, ya' know?

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print