Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/26/24 at 09:08:37 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Headphone Power Amp Adapter! (Read 10683 times)
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Headphone Power Amp Adapter!
11/24/17 at 23:37:29

Just now, in my favorite coffee shop, and idea sprang loose from my brain. I was reading about headphone amplifiers of all kinds. Of course, I have a favorite in my own rack, BUT then an idea came about. I already know that the Rachel is an excellent choice for such service. The 'challenge' would be to try different arrangements of resistors for the best load to the amp, and the least fatal to the headphone. Sound quality is at the peak of it all somewhere. Now, here is the idea that I am going to float soon enough:
   Instead of finding the right combination of resistors, I will be using a Decware Audio "Gizmo" for the connections. I have kept these babies around for years, just to use in such instances. Great for experimentation, and in this case, I am hoping for a revelation.
 More to follow......

Decware 34I.3 integrated amp/Forte' 3 bass amp/Velodyne SMS-1 bass mngmnt system/Decware ZOB speakers/Audio Nirvana 8" bass drivers/Xiang Seng DAC/ LR Audio Computer/Rega Apollo R CDP/Emotiva ERC3 CDP/BPT 3.0 power cond.
  IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Re: Headphone Power Amp Adapter!
Reply #1 - 11/25/17 at 04:55:32

Front w/headphone jack:

PB250001.JPG

Decware 34I.3 integrated amp/Forte' 3 bass amp/Velodyne SMS-1 bass mngmnt system/Decware ZOB speakers/Audio Nirvana 8" bass drivers/Xiang Seng DAC/ LR Audio Computer/Rega Apollo R CDP/Emotiva ERC3 CDP/BPT 3.0 power cond.
  IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #2 - 11/25/17 at 04:57:02

Last shot. I used silver plated binding posts that accept wire up to 16 gauge.

PB250002.JPG

IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #3 - 11/25/17 at 05:12:33

Close up of transformer model. It was designed for use with such speakers as Fostex to help with a midrange problem, but may well work in this case also since it is adjustable. We'll see soon enough.

PB250005.JPG

IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #4 - 11/27/17 at 00:17:05

Ok, got her up and running. I hooked up the transformers' primary winding -Across- the amp output, giving the amp a load. Then I placed 50 ohm resistors in series with each channel. The headphones sound great, and I can even use the potentiometer to adjust for my brighter sounding Grado cans. This idea is a keeper.

IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #5 - 06/29/18 at 23:45:12

I just wanted to add a bit more to this idea. There are different ideas out there, and i found this diagram useful for one application.

NOTE: This is not to be confused with the transformer idea that I am showing in this post. It is a voltage divider using resistors alone. It is the more common method for using headphones and power amplifiers together.

divider.png

IP Logged
AC
Verified Member

Reply #6 - 09/03/18 at 22:30:02

I have built a load box with Mills resistors similar to the diagram above, with very good results.

IP Logged
funch
Seasoned Member

Reply #7 - 09/05/18 at 21:14:59

4krow, you might want to double check your diagram above.

IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #8 - 09/06/18 at 03:58:00

Looks good to me, but maybe where the wire jumps across another wire, it appears to be a connection. Is that what you are referring to?

IP Logged
funch
Seasoned Member

Reply #9 - 09/06/18 at 05:11:47

The labeling for R1/R2; the channels are switched.

IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #10 - 09/07/18 at 01:33:00

Those bastards....  just when you thought that you could trust someone. I got this diagram from the internet. Now I hafta put my headphones on backwards. But thanks for pointing it out.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print