Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
05/17/24 at 10:52:52 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
For Sale: Custom Thomas Mayer inspired 46 SET amp (Read 7347 times)
kevtn8
Seasoned Member

For Sale: Custom Thomas Mayer inspired 46 SET amp
02/16/18 at 06:48:47

Up for sale is a very special amp that I regretfully have to sell. This custom 46 SET amp was inspired by Thomas Mayer and built by Oliver Sayes. Oliver is a very respected DIY amp builder and Thomas Mayer doesn’t need much of an introduction if you’re knowledgeable of some of the best and most expensive amps and preamps made in the world.

This 46 amp is without a doubt among the best SET I’ve heard so far. It is so clean, natural, refined, detailed, with a breathtaking midrange and solid articulate bass. The tone, texture, and detail that this amp produces is just incredible if you have the right system. If your speakers are 97db or up and you don’t listen too loud, this could be your final SET amp. 94-95db efficiency speakers minimum are recommended for a small bedroom system. Output power is about 1.5 watts per channel.  

This is a very high end design that was intended for someone looking for their dream 46 amp ( or 45 with adaptor). The amp is a dual chassis design with separate chassis for signal and power supply. The main signal chassis has Tango output transformers and Tango plate chokes used for decoupling of both channels. Jupiter Copper foil coupling caps are used. There are dual tube meters in the front of the main chassis to monitor output tube function. Jensen balanced XLR transformers gives the owner the option of balanced connection; RCA is also included of course. Speaker binding posts and RCA jacks are from Audio Note. Hum Balance pots are included right next to the output tubes. To control the volume, there is a very high quality stepped resistor attenuator from TKD with a smooth non-detented feel.

The PSU chassis is also of similar quality. New old stock RCA chokes are used in addition to a new old stock Creed power transformer that is center tapped. There are tons of filtering caps on both the PSU and main chassis. A very high quality umbilical cable connects the two chassis similar to Thomas Mayer’s high end designs.

Pictures are readily available upon request. Please PM your email.

Power tubes are 46, driver tubes are WE417a /5842, Type 80 rectifier.  45 tubes can be used with an adaptor so this amp can be very versatile in that regard.  

I will include 2 pairs of Raytheon 5842 tubes, 2 pairs of 46 tubes, and 10 type 80 rectifiers.

The amp is in immaculate/mind condition and has been barely used. Each of the chassis has a wood base with a medium walnut/natural finish. I'm only selling because I'm in the process of moving and may downsize my system in the new house which is much smaller.  

I’m asking $3195 (or best offer) with free shipping to anywhere in the US. Paypal is preferred; payer is responsible for fees.

Any questions please let me know. Thanks for looking.

IP Logged
kevtn8
Seasoned Member

Re: For Sale: Custom Thomas Mayer inspired 46 SET amp
Reply #1 - 02/18/18 at 05:09:57

I just want to update my original ad with some additional information:

1) The amplifier has taps for 8 and 16 ohm speakers.
2) There is a ground loop switch on the rear left of main chassis.  
3) The main signal chassis uses high quality filament transformers from England for the power tubes.
4) Oliver supplied a vintage looking volume knob on main chassis but the new owner can change this to anything they like of course.

Some of Oliver's other 46 SET amps that have been sold online ( which are less expensive) have been described as being as good or better then 45/46 amps from major hi-end brands and yet Oliver has stated that this is easily the best sounding of his 46 circuit to date which is saying a lot.

Pictures can be found here at the link to my US AudioMart ad: http://www.usaudiomart.com/details/649415766-custom-thomas-mayer-inspired-46-set...

Finally, Just for the Decware family I've lowered the price to $3000 even, still with free shipping to anywhere in the US.

Any questions, please PM me. Thanks for looking.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #2 - 02/18/18 at 16:13:57

Looks amazing and a great price. I'm not in the market due to other recent purchases and a surplus of amps, but I'd be tempted if I were!

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
kevtn8
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 02/19/18 at 01:13:50

Thanks Lon, I'll be putting the ad for the WE 417a up soon since I won't be needing them anymore. That WE driver really takes the amp to another level of refinement but the Raytheon 5842 is no slouch of course.

IP Logged
kevtn8
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 02/20/18 at 09:04:39

I want to stress that this amp is an ORIGINAL Oliver Sayes design in terms of tube choice/compliment. What I meant by Thomas Mayer inspired is that Oliver has been greatly influenced by his great designs in the past and in fact has built some of Thomas's higher end designs for his personal system.

In addition to being greatly influenced by Thomas Mayer, Oliver is also familiar and experienced with some of the best low power SET designs in the world.

Please DO NOT email Thomas anything about this amp as it is the sole work of Oliver Sayes. There are some similarities to some of Thomas Mayer's higher end designs such as the physical execution and layout but for the most part this is an Oliver Sayes creation.

Any questions, please let me know. Thanks for looking.

IP Logged
doukhobar
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 02/21/18 at 21:15:10

Hi - your ad with the pics was removed - sold? Wow! It truly looked like an incredible set up.

Torii Jr, Taboo III, Dennis Had Firebottle amp & LP2 pre, ERR speakers, Omega 3XRS, Omega Super Alnico XRS, Bryston BDP-1, Kora Hermes DAC, Pear Audio Robin Hood TT w/Cornet 1 tonearm & Hana SL cart, ZP3 Cryo Beeswax caps, Bob's Devices SUT, HD800, LCD2, Zenwave
  IP Logged
kevtn8
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 02/22/18 at 05:48:27

Hi,  no its still available. I retitled the ad under 'Custom Oliver Sayes 46 SET amp'

Here is the new link: http://www.usaudiomart.com/details/649416652-custom-oliver-sayes-46-set-amp/

Any questions let me know. Thanks

IP Logged
kevtn8
Seasoned Member

Reply #7 - 02/25/18 at 08:20:12

I've lowered the price to $2850 including free shipping. I want to make sure these go to a good home.

Thanks

IP Logged
kevtn8
Seasoned Member

Reply #8 - 03/04/18 at 22:07:56

Price is now $2800 with free shipping. Local pickup would be much cheaper.
I'm in the 92708 zip code area of South Cali.

Any questions please let me know. Thanks for looking.

IP Logged
kevtn8
Seasoned Member

Reply #9 - 03/08/18 at 07:20:07

The amp has been sold. Thanks

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print