Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/20/24 at 01:45:25 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Acoustic Research 2cs - Restore? (Read 4852 times)
Matthew
Seasoned Member

Acoustic Research 2cs - Restore?
02/15/18 at 22:25:31

I acquired a pair of AR 2cs from a project car, and information on them is pretty much nil.  I'm guessing they borrow drivers from on of AR's home systems, but don't actually know.

Anyway, I'm curious as to whether they would be worth restoring.  They only use a 4" driver so I figure they focused on mid-range and upper end.  Especially, since these were made before the big, swinging sub woofer days.

Thoughts?

Matthew

151873376293239335.jpeg
chickenkofta   IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Re: Acoustic Research 2cs - Restore?
Reply #1 - 02/16/18 at 16:14:37

Technology has come so far since those - I really wouldn't waste my time unless they held sentimental value. You could do so much more with some modern speakers in that application, and probably cost quite a bit less as well.

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
Matthew
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 02/18/18 at 06:46:15

Technology has come along way since vacuum tubes, too but we're still using those, correct?  With as much as people on this forum tend to agree that everyone hears different so that there is no de facto as concerns a set standard for what is good or bad sound, I'm surprised that you have such a strong opinion towards using newer stuff rather than refreshing old stuff to get a good sound.  Throw on top of this the fact that some people prefer the sound of paper cone woofers over plastic or aluminum cone woofers, and some prefer them with half-roll paper surround rather than foams or rubbers, some with ferrite magnets, some with neodymium, etc.

chickenkofta   IP Logged
busterfree
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 02/18/18 at 12:53:20

It is your time and effort that will be invested. Only you can answer that question. One less thing in a landfill is a good thing.

IP Logged
Matthew
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 02/19/18 at 05:43:07

Maybe Steve's articles about refoaming drivers has just stuck harder than it should have.  Granted, these speakers were a bit of a niche product, and obviously they didn't make/sell many as they are very obscure.  They were in the package tray of an Austin Mini.  As I do have an Austin America, that might be a good home for them, later.  Perhaps, with the assist of a 6x9 or two for low end?

Matthew

chickenkofta   IP Logged
litefootdan
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 02/19/18 at 06:31:48

Acoustic Research probably isn't what the what the general Decware audience would consider decent speakers to refurbish, but don't turn your back on them.  If you can refoam and perhaps recap- you might want to give  those little guys some attention.  Especially if it doesn't hurt your wallet.  I know many things changed from when Villchur and Kloss designed the first AR speakers till Teledyne took the helm, but not all of it was bad.      

Ortofon 2M Bronze | Merrillized AR "The Turntable" | ZP 2 | SE84UFO25 | HDT | Jensen Alnico 15's on the low "OB"
  IP Logged
Matthew
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 02/22/18 at 22:59:25

Pretty simple crossover.  Any thoughts on changes, aside from moving to a film, and tossing the electrolytic?

Matthew

imageedit_2_8147366221.jpg
chickenkofta   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print