Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/28/24 at 15:31:03 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
ZP3 good with Moving Iron Cartridges (Read 6539 times)
jdog
Verified Member

ZP3 good with Moving Iron Cartridges
01/21/18 at 17:59:36

Considering purchase of a ZP3 to go with my SE84UFO, running a Soundsmith SMMC1 cart on a B&O TX2 turntable.  The cartridge has a stated output of 2.12 mV.  I have already experienced the difference in performance of my amp with an "underpowered" input so am worried the ZP3 may not provide enough gain.  Currently using a Hagerman Bugle2 I bought several years ago, which Jim tweaked to work with the B&O moving iron cartridges.  I don't think a MC SUT would work either because of diff in input load.  Is it possible to use different tubes to boost the signal for these lower-output MI cartridges?

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Re: ZP3 good with Moving Iron Cartridges
Reply #1 - 01/21/18 at 18:19:36

I don't think a different tube will solve your problem.  You need a ZMC...from that page see below... May need to speak to Steve...

PS...on second thought...that is a pretty high output and I looked it up, it is a Moving Iron Cart...I don't know...Steve will Smiley

http://prntscr.com/i3kett

"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with the concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, deceptions, and spoils;
The motions of his spirit are dull as night and his affections dark as Hell. Let no such man be trusted." William Shakespeare
  IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 01/21/18 at 19:26:04

In my experience, you wont get enough gain out of the ZP3 with that cart.  My MM, with more than twice that, really benefited from having a pre after the ZP3.  My MC, with a ZMC1, gives me about 5 or 6 times what you would get out of the ZP3.

By my calculations, you get 1/2 volt out of the ZP3 with a 5mV cart.  Without a pre, I don't think you can take advantage of full power in any amp that requires more than 1/2 volt, which includes all of the Decware amps.  

Anyone, ... please correct me if I have this wrong!   Smiley

ZLC
Technics 1200G TT w/ Ortofon Jubilee MC cart
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Homemade Big Betsy Speakers (F15s)
Silver Cabling
DIY Isolation platforms under amps & TT.
  IP Logged
back2vinyl

Reply #3 - 01/21/18 at 20:40:00

how do you know what an amp requires as input…What spec is that under?

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #4 - 01/21/18 at 20:44:53

I agree. I believe a step up transformer will be necessary.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 01/21/18 at 20:58:41

Steve lists this in the amp specs.  Most Decware amps require 2 volts for full power although one or more requires higher voltage.

From the SE84UFO page:   Quote:
Input voltage            2.0 volts for full output

ZLC
Technics 1200G TT w/ Ortofon Jubilee MC cart
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Homemade Big Betsy Speakers (F15s)
Silver Cabling
DIY Isolation platforms under amps & TT.
  IP Logged
NormD
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 06/05/18 at 03:24:34

Jdog:

Did you get the ZP3 to go with your moving iron cartridge?  I have The Voice cartridge which also outputs 2.12mV. I am running it with a Manley  
Chinook which has 45db gain, which is close to the 43db gain of the ZP3.  Aim running into my ZTPre and I have plenty of volume. I expect my new ZP3 in a few weeeks so I will report back. I am also upgrading my ZSTAGE and I’ll try that as well to boost the ZP3 signal.

OPPO Sonica DAC
Technics SL-1200M3D Turntable
SoundSmith The Voice cartridge
JRMedia Center running on a MacMini
Panasonic DP-UB820
Marantz AV8802a Pre/Rotel RMB-1585 Surround
ZTPre & ZMA Stereo
Focal Sopra No. 2 speakers (91 db)
2 Hsu ULS-ULS-15 MK2 Subs
  IP Logged
NormD
Seasoned Member

Reply #7 - 06/23/18 at 03:33:28

I am now running a SounsSmith 2.12V moving iron cartridge (The Voice) through my ZP3, ZTPre and ZMA with acceptable volume. Both my preamp and power amp are running at 3/4 volume and it fills my room nicely. The sound is awesome with strong bass, crisp and clear highs and a wonderful midrange. I will be selling my Manley Chinook phono amp. I also have a ZSTAGE arriving Monday to add gain, but I don’t really need it. I am not using a ZMC.

OPPO Sonica DAC
Technics SL-1200M3D Turntable
SoundSmith The Voice cartridge
JRMedia Center running on a MacMini
Panasonic DP-UB820
Marantz AV8802a Pre/Rotel RMB-1585 Surround
ZTPre & ZMA Stereo
Focal Sopra No. 2 speakers (91 db)
2 Hsu ULS-ULS-15 MK2 Subs
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print