Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/19/24 at 19:33:50 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Dedicated power circuits... Huge improvement!!! (Read 27899 times)
Rraymond
Seasoned Member

Dedicated power circuits... Huge improvement!!!
12/17/17 at 17:35:41

One would think spending money on dedicated lines to your audio gear is foolish and the last thing you want to spend money on but I would recommend it to be first inline. Sure it’s easy to purchase cables and whatever else imaginable and I’m certainly in the same league. But what I can say is after chasing what’s going to make a difference, I found you have to start with the source. If your gear isn’t happy with a good feed, you’ll never notice any other changes you make(at least to a lesser degree). I just had an electrician run 2 dedicated circuits with solid copper awg10 and I connected them to Maestro outlets and initially I thought it was a waste of money. Well, it took about an hour before the new circuits started to settle in and that’s when the magic started to happen. There was more separation between the instruments, everything sounded more real and lifelike and dynamic. It appeared as though the overall volume was a bit less but really what I heard is less background “hash” which makes for a more enjoyable listening experience. Certain instruments have more attack and separation. Bass is tighter and seems to dig a bit deeper. I know this sounds crazy but I think my amp is now very happy with a good solid power source and now I think changing cables may make more of a difference.

Rick

Audion Silver Night Special Edition 300b integrated, Zu Soul Superfly speakers, Acoustic Solid TT with Denon 103 MC cart, PS Audio NuWave phono, Zu Event MKII speaker cables with BU3 connectors.
  IP Logged
JD
Seasoned Member

Re: Dedicated power circuits... Huge improvement!!!
Reply #1 - 12/17/17 at 17:46:44

Rick,

That is awesome. If I ever own that is at the top of my list.  Congrats on the improvements.

JD

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #2 - 12/17/17 at 20:21:52

I've been preaching about this for years. I did it because I happened to have a dedicated conduit going from a new(ish) circuit breaker to my Home Theater/Listening room, and I decided to run a dedicated 10AWG home run to a dedicated lab grade orange outlet. I stumbled into a good deal on a spool of the same wire that Steve uses in his Zen Styx speaker wire, except 10AWG (Steve uses 8awg), so I ran all the lines using that.

The improvement was immediate - I was kind of stunned at how blacker the background seemed to be in my music, in what I already thought was a very black background.

My electrician friend looked at me like I was crazy when I asked to run 3/4" conduit and explained I was going to run 10AWG Silver plated wire all for a 30watt amp and Blu-Ray player - but he did the work.

Later I asked another electrician (actually a few) to measure my impedance to ground at the circuit panel, and help me add a second (or even third) grounding rod in the yard closer to the lower portion of soil that's always damp, then re-measure the impedance; Two rolled their eyes at me and stopped returning my calls, and the third scowled at me while scolding me for wasting his time and stomped off.  I guess they were so against what I was trying to do, they wouldn't even take money to do it!

Anyways, I found that improving the ground bonding between your panel and ground (most houses just have a tiny wire going to a water pipe), as well as adding grounding rods in damp soil, lowers your impedance to ground, and gives the noise a path of least resistance *away* from your gear lowering your noise floor.

I still want to add another grounding Rod, but moving the panel grounding off the corroded pipes and onto a proper ground rod made a noticeable improvement. I just have no measurements to prove it was better than before due to lack of help from actual electricians.

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
Brian
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 12/17/17 at 20:47:14

How are you choosing the choice of wire gauge?
I would have thought 12 or 14 ga. would well handle the current.  Is the size related to the sound quality?

IP Logged
Rraymond
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 12/17/17 at 22:03:18

Just from what I read that 10awg is recommended. I have no real explanation because it seems overkill but if you’re paying an electrician labor to pull the cable, he don’t care what the gauge is you just pay a little more for heavier copper. Yeah and of course you have to deal with a glazed stare from the electrician as to why 10awg on an amp that only draws a few amps. My electrician told me stranded is better in transferring current which it may very well be but I had him run solid copper. He also said the 10awg won’t fit the outlets. I handed him the Maestros and said “it will fit these”.  Anyway, I always wanted to upgrade my fuse box with breakers and so I thought this is my opportunity to add the dedicated circuits. No regrets here, it’s that noticeable of a difference.

Rick

Audion Silver Night Special Edition 300b integrated, Zu Soul Superfly speakers, Acoustic Solid TT with Denon 103 MC cart, PS Audio NuWave phono, Zu Event MKII speaker cables with BU3 connectors.
  IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #5 - 12/17/17 at 22:38:44

I am not worried about the opinions of others, even the qualified people when I am doing something that needs to be done only once, not three or four times. When it comes to running wire, I will always go up a gauge, and never smaller than 12 gauge wire.
When it comes to grounding, there is little doubt that running a separate ground for the audio system that is in close proximity to the system as possible, is going to be the best bet. In my case, that would be very difficult, so instead, I tied the entire rebar system for the concrete into the electrical ground. More importantly, the main AC ground is #6 that leads to a solid steel pipe for the water well. It is 25 feet deep into the ground. As it turns out the water table is about 10 feet below ground. Yes, I truly believe in a 'well grounded' system.
Lastly, and just as important is the tight connection from the AC outlets all the way the final electrical destination. Don't just do part of the race here and think that you are going to even place.

Decware 34I.3 integrated amp/Forte' 3 bass amp/Velodyne SMS-1 bass mngmnt system/Decware ZOB speakers/Audio Nirvana 8" bass drivers/Xiang Seng DAC/ LR Audio Computer/Rega Apollo R CDP/Emotiva ERC3 CDP/BPT 3.0 power cond.
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #6 - 12/17/17 at 23:41:36

a separate ground from the main ground can actually cause whole house ground loop problems, and I remember reading somewhere can cause Electrical Code issues in some places.

If it works for your setup, then stick with it, just know it can cause problems.

Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #7 - 12/18/17 at 00:11:01

http://www.ground1.com/whitepaper1.htm

Some good reading from someone who does this for a living.

4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #8 - 12/18/17 at 01:46:01

Actually, I have to agree with that LR. The house AC ground should/must be referenced to one ground only. I remember discussing this with an electrical engineer long ago. Giving more than one path to ground could work against the idea of having a breaker would react properly or at all in some situations.

Decware 34I.3 integrated amp/Forte' 3 bass amp/Velodyne SMS-1 bass mngmnt system/Decware ZOB speakers/Audio Nirvana 8" bass drivers/Xiang Seng DAC/ LR Audio Computer/Rega Apollo R CDP/Emotiva ERC3 CDP/BPT 3.0 power cond.
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #9 - 12/19/17 at 17:06:56

Yes, it's like using a Star Ground in an amp, all grounds should go to one well done, low impedance location. There used to be more about it in the white papers at the ground1 link above, but it looks like they cleaned a lot of that up with the website update.

Here is some more info I just stumbled into.

https://www.alanmaherdesigns.net/soilgroundquality

stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #10 - 12/19/17 at 18:25:17

You will get no argument from me. In my Lino Lakes house...I had a dedicated line with Hubbell receptacle box....their was a difference.

I will know come Spring if I'm heading to McAllen TX to wear flip flops in my version of Margaritaville, .....so a dedicated line goes in there or here next summer.

Room Treats-M.Green & mine
Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Shunyata Z-Alpha DigPcord
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
Acoustic Zen Adagio/Modified
Kimber PK10 Palladian from wall
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Rraymond
Seasoned Member

Reply #11 - 12/19/17 at 19:03:05

I actually talked to Alan Maher and he said the resistance between ground and neutral should be less than 1 ohm. If not, he recommended running another ground rod buried into Erico Gem cement. What doesn’t make sense though is if you’re measuring between hot and neutral on the outlet itself, aren’t you only measuring the loop to and from the service box?  That would seem to have nothing to do with how well the ground rod is conducting into the earth.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #12 - 12/19/17 at 19:46:32

1) Though I agree that the P10 may be "overkill" in some ways it does produce a much, much lower output impedance. That made a big sonic difference in my system compared to a Power Plant Premier or P5, both of which I lived with for considerable stretches of time. Sound with the P10 was significantly better.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #13 - 12/23/17 at 05:54:04

Quote:
I actually talked to Alan Maher and he said the resistance between ground and neutral should be less than 1 ohm. If not, he recommended running another ground rod buried into Erico Gem cement. What doesn’t make sense though is if you’re measuring between hot and neutral on the outlet itself, aren’t you only measuring the loop to and from the service box?  That would seem to have nothing to do with how well the ground rod is conducting into the earth.

I'm confused, you start out talking about ground and neutral, then switch to talking hot and neutral.

You should be measuring the resistance to ground at the panel.

I agree with the recommendation on the ground rod. In my case, I have damp earth 25' feet from the house, so I just need to add a rod downgrade in the soil, as deep as I can go.  Different parts of the country are probably not as lucky, and the GEM concrete is a great solution. The Military has been using stuff like that for decades.

Rraymond
Seasoned Member

Reply #14 - 12/23/17 at 17:43:59

My mistake, the resistance is measured between the neutral and ground. Another phone call to Alan and he said it should be way less than 1 ohm. Like .01 or even better .001 ohms. I measured .1 ohms. He also said to measure for leakage voltage on the neutral so if you measure voltage from neutral to ground it should be minimal. I have 325 millivolts ac riding on my neutral which he said is not too bad. I didn’t ask if I should be looking at ac or dc volts. Lol. Seems like I’ve opened a can of worms here that can really require a lot more testing than most people are able to test with a simple meter. Alan suggested I try his RFI EMI wraps around the pipe that the incoming ac lines to the house come in before they feed the circuit box. Seems like he has some interesting noise reduction products but without really having a good technical procedure to follow, it may seem like I’m just trying various things that should reduce noise in the power feeding the gear.  :-?

Rick

IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #15 - 12/23/17 at 19:46:11

This particular topic is always one of interest to me. Getting it as right as you can before the power even enters the hose is golden. Even 'simple' AC is getting more polluted as time goes on, not that it was ever really pure to begin with.
 Watching the linemen put the new power into my home made me wince. My boss would have kicked ass for the kind of work that they did. You know the type. Great pair of expensive climbing boots, probably never climbed to begin with. Ego emanating from them from across the lot as they work. In the end, the work got done, but not very pretty, that's for sure. All I could do was take it from there and do my best, starting with good copper at the top of the mast.

IP Logged
NothingButTreble
Verified Member

Reply #16 - 12/26/17 at 18:09:24

I'm not doubting the benefit, and I've also heard this advice from another audiophile, but I'm wondering exactly why this helps so and why this is better than an APC SmartUPS, which I have and could use for the Decware Rachael amp.  I guess another similar one is Panamax which may be more of a power conditioner than an UPS and put out a better sine wave than an APC SmartUPS.

Even with a dedicated circuit, if the A/C starts and the water heater kicks in at the very same time, won't there be a fluctuation?  I do understand the benefit of upgrading the wire.  The electrician here understood the benefit of over-sizing wire, he told me the amount of electricity wasted in all the homes because of the wiring is enormous, so I had a higher gauge than called for with the A/C and the water heater and my 5kw PV system, but that was for efficiency.

IP Logged
Rraymond
Seasoned Member

Reply #17 - 12/26/17 at 19:59:37

I guess an analogy would be if you bought a Lamborghini and instead of putting premium gas in the tank you put regular in it. The car is built to very exact specifications and it requires the best gas you can feed it. If you step on the gas pedal, the car is going to struggle to perform.  Same with high end Audio gear, if you feed it inadequate dirty power, that’s going to end up on the Audio signal path and out to your speakers. The entire circuit in that amp will be contaminated or starved of good clean power.
I don’t think the APC power UPS is of any help as it just keeps power going in case there’s a power loss to your home. I would be concerned that it may also potentially introduce unwanted “stuff” into your power and may even choke good solid A.C. coming into your Audio gear. I am not an expert here but these are what I am learning as I build my system.

Rick

IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #18 - 12/26/17 at 21:12:23

I also have an analogy that works for my brain. I have tried a few electric welders over the years, and ended up with a preference that is a unit that is overbuilt for my needs. 100% duty cycle, and quality throughout allow me not to think too much about the machine, but concentrate on the job at hand. Sure the lesser units will do the job, but there is a difference in the final product in more than one way.

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #19 - 12/28/17 at 20:08:44

You might be putting too much faith in the APC SmartUPS. It's made for computers, not really audio equipment - so while it will smooth out the peaks and sags, it can also add a crapload of noise into the A/C line that would have ZERO effect on a computer, but could cause real issues with audio.

On that same thread, minor sags and spikes would be filtered out by most good power supplies. Those brief power issues wouldn't be any more of an issue than a record popping on dust or the like; brief and forgotten. Whereas noise on the line is constant, and can affect micro-detail, blackness of backgrounds, and even cause harmonic imbalance in the music.

When we're upgrading the circuit, especially the ground and your circuits resistance to ground, we're giving the system a really low impedance path to dump that noise *away* from your system and to ground. Granted, this won't get rid of everything, for that you will need to use some technology - but you need to start with a great foundation for most of those technology options to be effective.

Edit to add: also your SmartUPS might not be up to the task of transient spikes that our audio equipment can bring. Even if you have a battery backup that's made for a 20 amp circuit, that doesn't mean it could handle a 20 amp (or even way, way more that some amps can ask for!) sudden draw of power that an audio system can demand during impactful portions of the music. So while your power might be clean, it could also be "slow" or limited by the device you put between your amp and outlet, leaving the music sounding a little flat.

Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #20 - 12/28/17 at 23:34:15

Quote:
that doesn't mean it could handle a 20 amp (or even way, way more that some amps can ask for!)

What little I know about electric comes from household needs.  I was under the impression that a 20 amp circuit, i.e., 20 amp breaker, would trip somewhere in that vicinity.  I keep hearing about huge audio peaks but if they draw more than the 20 amps, won't the breaker trip?

ZLC
Technics 1200G TT w/ Ortofon Jubilee MC cart
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Homemade Big Betsy Speakers (F15s)
Silver Cabling
DIY Isolation platforms under amps & TT.
  IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #21 - 12/29/17 at 00:53:35

I don't doubt that, out there somewhere is an amp made that somehow draws 20 amps of AC current at it's very peak, but i have not yet heard of such an animal. More importantly, if that were to occur, the amp itself must be able to protect itself by way of a fuse, or an internal breaker of it's own. Having said that, an audio system must be looked at as a whole when it comes to current demands, and if the entire system were tied to one dedicated line, then a little math might be in order to determine the total AC current required. The only amp that I ever owned that required a separate 20 amp circuit was a Mark Levinsen no. 33....   First clue was that it weighed in at 130 lbs.

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #22 - 12/29/17 at 15:46:36

You guys are mixing up the difference between constant power requirements, and transient power needs.

A quick burst of power from a big amp and impactful musical hit, could easily go over 20amp draw. But it's not long enough to blow a fuse or trip a circuit breaker.

Why do you think people notice a difference in amps that have big caps over small caps in the PS? It's those transients. Same reason guys like Lon hear a difference between a PS Audio P10 and a PS Audio P5 Power Regen - the P10 has 70 Amps of power for those fast impactful hits...and it doesn't blow circuits...hmmm.

All that said, I doubt even Steve's big monoblocks tax a 20 amp circuit on big hits...but that's not to say a piece of hardware, like a battery backup isn't struggling to keep up with a ZMA's power demands. It's all about the design - and battery backups are made to smooth things out and squash sudden draws and dips, not give out juice to them. When you start up a big server on a battery backup, you see the lights and meters go OH CRAP for a second during that initial draw of power up and that's it. An amp cranked with a tympany hitting every fourth 90 bpm is a completely different animal.

4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #23 - 12/30/17 at 00:06:16

LR,   Do you mean 20 amps of draw at the AC outlet, or 20 amps of current coming from the amp output itself? I agree about power amps having large power capacitors for the power supply itself, and would think that at least some designers appropriate for the possibility of a large transient peak required form the amp. It gets a bit more complicated trying to figure out the needs for the speaker/amp combination in relation to the necessary current draw to reach a given transient.
 Also, Breakers are certainly more forgiving than a fast blow fuse, but I am not so sure at what point a fuse will blow past it's rated amperage.

IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #24 - 12/30/17 at 20:03:47

Lon quoted this from the Torii Jr manual in another context:  

Quote:
The 120V TORII JR uses a 3 AMP 20mm fast blow fuse.
(220/230/240 volt customers use a 1.6 AMP 20mm fast blow fuse.)

I'm just trying to understand.  If the Torii Jr has a 3 amp fast blow fuse, why would I need a dedicated power source with super peak amp capacity?  (e.g., over-sized wire)  It seems that the Torii Jr only draws 3 amps or less from the mains -- regardless of any peaks in the internal power supply.   Huh

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #25 - 12/30/17 at 21:22:41

Damned if I know #1 but I think that a possible big transient spike and a bad electrical arc or surge are two different animals, and one would not be a problem that would blow a fuse and one would be.

Darned if I know #2. . . But  . . . All I know is that all my amps sound better with really good lower gauge power cords and with a regenerator. I don't doubt that the ZMA may be immune to a regenerator with those huge capacitors, but each of the regenerators I've had, working up the PS Audio ladder, has given improved sound over the other, due to the huge capacitance there probably, and Paul McGowan says it's because of the many times lower output impedance they impart to the components and I have no reason to doubt him.

So. . .sure you can get great sound with a stock vanilla power cord plugged into the usual household wall outlet, but you can get improved sound with other cords and power treatment. I don't have to understand the need for them to enjoy the improvements.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #26 - 12/31/17 at 01:24:39

The quote is in error.  The TORII JR uses a 6.3 Amp fuse, but in some cases even that is not enough to handle the turn on surge of the large power transformer.  The fuse size can be increased to 8 Amps if needed.

WWW   IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #27 - 12/31/17 at 01:35:38

Steve Deckert wrote on 12/31/17 at 01:24:39:
The quote is in error.  The TORII JR uses a 6.3 Amp fuse, but in some cases even that is not enough to handle the turn on surge of the large power transformer.  The fuse size can be increased to 8 Amps if needed.

Thanks for that correction Steve. The quote was from the manual for the Torii Jr. . . .

IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #28 - 12/31/17 at 18:18:35

I may have figured out part of the answer to my question as far as my understanding goes.  With extension cords for power tools, the longer the cord, the larger the recommended wire.  This is to avoid excessive voltage drop which is related to resistance/heat and motor performance in that application.  I'm sure that we ideally want ZERO voltage drop for HiFi.  My run to my panel is short in my system so I likely don't need the extra large wires that are mentioned.  Other's might have a relatively long run and would need big wire despite "Code" required amp/gage sizing.

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
Rraymond
Seasoned Member

Reply #29 - 12/31/17 at 18:42:48

That makes sense Archie. Every wire has a certain amount of resistance unless it’s a superconductor which would require a liquid helium bath and some titanium niobium wire...lol. I’m sure the least bit of resistance will cause the voltage to drop even just a small amount but I’m also wondering if it’s not just that but the voltage fluctuations that may really mess things up in the signal processing. I ran 10 gauge for my dedicated circuits and fortunately my room is right next to my panel so it’s a very short run.

Rick

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #30 - 01/04/18 at 21:03:13

Quote:
LR,   Do you mean 20 amps of draw at the AC outlet, or 20 amps of current coming from the amp output itself? I agree about power amps having large power capacitors for the power supply itself, and would think that at least some designers appropriate for the possibility of a large transient peak required form the amp. It gets a bit more complicated trying to figure out the needs for the speaker/amp combination in relation to the necessary current draw to reach a given transient.
Also, Breakers are certainly more forgiving than a fast blow fuse, but I am not so sure at what point a fuse will blow past it's rated amperage.

I meant what the amp is asking for at the outlet.

Using Steve's example above, the Torii Jr could even use an 8amp fuse for that power on surge - that's an extreme example because it's an amp starting from dead zero and saying GIMMY JUICE!  But that little amp is still asking for 6+ amps, right?  Imagine what a bigger amp is asking for with a big musical impact?  That's the kind of thing I'm concerned about;
a battery backup made for computers could be choking/limiting your transients. A device like the PS Audio Regenerator is built to address those sudden pulls and give the juice with the least resistance to allow your music to flow as best as the amp can physically take the juice and churn out the waveforms.

Again, it's all about keeping the resistance low.

4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #31 - 01/04/18 at 21:18:47

LR,

Thanks for the clarification. Just one more question though. This is relation to not so much how much the amp is asking from the wall outlet, but what the speakers are going to produce with a given peak. What I am referring to is the fact the more efficient speakers will likely do what is needed to produce these transient peaks with less power in the first place. I have glued my system to this thinking, and use the Rachel to power my 94db sensitive speakers (ZOB), in an average sized room. I have no doubt that it may sound different driven by my 200 WPC Forte' amp, but not for the reason of the more readily available power. I would make an exception in a few instances regarding program material that inherintly requires sub-sonic impact or some such animal.

IP Logged
BadWolf
Seasoned Member

Reply #32 - 01/06/18 at 19:17:35

Regarding the amp drawing transient spikes spikes of current during impactful portions of music. I did some measurements and am not seeing them at all on a Mini or Torii MK4, or even a 300 watt sub. The Mini and Torii draw a bit more current when first turned on, but after that they are very stable regardless if silent or at full volume with dynamic music. The sub’s current demand was constantly changing, though within a very limited range and never spiking dramatically no matter the music or volume. It would simply draw around a tenth of amp more when pushed. Not to say there aren’t amplifiers that have huge brief current demands, I just haven’t seen it on the ones I’ve measured.

For measuring the amperage I used a Fluke 87 V, which can measure spikes as fast as 250 micro seconds.

That being said I’m still a big fan of dedicated circuits for a variety of reasons, and having your house properly grounded should be a given and not just for audio quality.

Zen OTL, SE84UFO25, Mini Torii II and III, “El Camino” MTM speakers, Schiit Gungnir Multibit, DIY "Zbit", dedicated circuits.
  IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #33 - 01/06/18 at 21:27:51

BW,

I tend to agree with the idea of over designing most anything important. I try not to go as far as ego dictates, but well beyond the expected measure.

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #34 - 01/08/18 at 01:37:32

Quote:
For measuring the amperage I used a Fluke 87 V, which can measure spikes as fast as 250 micro seconds.

That was going to be my next Question. I think I have a Fluke capable of measuring as yours does. I never really learned to use my Flukes very well.

JOMAN
Seasoned Member

Reply #35 - 01/08/18 at 22:04:14

I’m in the process of renovations and one of the rooms is going to house my system.   I ran 30’ of 10/2 solid on a dedicated circuit.  I was thinking about stranded but didn’t want any blowback from the inspector.

Why do this?  I measure with my ears - if I want to be simplistic about this.  If I hear a difference there is one.  No technobabble from “experts” will cause me to believe otherwise.

I have heard the difference that wire gauge can make.  I just spent $100.00 on a pair of NOS Siemens ECC82 Nickel Plate.  Recently I blew $140.00 on a Sophia Electric Aqua 274B, I don’t even want to think bout how much I spent on my stash of tubes! I have a non current limiting power conditioner and I’ll be getting another, a level up.  I have Hospital Grade MRI receptacles...the 10/2 cost about $35.00.  

Seems kind of obvious to me so I only spent a nano second thinking about it and even then, thinking about should I or shouldn’t I, gave me a headache.  Then I had to spend money on Advil - da*n it!!

Cheers!

IP Logged
BadWolf
Seasoned Member

Reply #36 - 01/09/18 at 15:17:24

4krow I’m generally a fan of overbuilding too.

LR if your meter has the peak min max function then it may be able to, as for the speed of it you’d have to look in the manual. The 87V is pretty high end and can do some impressive stuff most other meters can’t.

I have dedicated circuits in dedicated conduit going to most of my amps, even my home theater. I used 10 gauge for the hifi stuff, 12 for everything else, all solid. I wouldn’t consider using 14 for anything. I’ll add at least one more 10 gauge circuit for another amp. I also have the hospital grade outlets on the hifi circuits, a new panel, new ground, and new wire all the way out to the pole, plus nice DIY power cords. I’d recommend solid 10 gauge to anyone thinking about doing a dedicated hifi circuit, I couldn’t be happier with mine. Just because I measured and didn’t find any spikes in current doesn’t mean I concluded (or suggested) that 10 gauge doesn’t have value and possible sonic benefits. I was always skeptical of amplifiers having huge spike current demands anyway, so it had nothing to do with my wiring decisions to begin with, and still doesn’t.

Zen OTL, SE84UFO25, Mini Torii II and III, “El Camino” MTM speakers, Schiit Gungnir Multibit, DIY "Zbit", dedicated circuits.
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #37 - 01/10/18 at 15:51:25

Quote:
I have dedicated circuits in dedicated conduit going to most of my amps, even my home theater. I used 10 gauge for the hifi stuff, 12 for everything else, all solid. I wouldn’t consider using 14 for anything. I’ll add at least one more 10 gauge circuit for another amp. I also have the hospital grade outlets on the hifi circuits, a new panel, new ground, and new wire all the way out to the pole, plus nice DIY power cords. I’d recommend solid 10 gauge to anyone thinking about doing a dedicated hifi circuit, I couldn’t be happier with mine. Just because I measured and didn’t find any spikes in current doesn’t mean I concluded (or suggested) that 10 gauge doesn’t have value and possible sonic benefits. I was always skeptical of amplifiers having huge spike current demands anyway, so it had nothing to do with my wiring decisions to begin with, and still doesn’t.

I knew you didn't half-ass things, and damn, you sure don't disappoint!

Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #38 - 01/11/18 at 01:53:36

So, driving home tonight I notice a whole bunch of my neighborhood is without power. I get home, and I have power, but my cable internet and TV are out - checking my phone, sure enough Comcast says outages in my area.

So I decide to put some music on, and DAMN it sounds good!

I'm playing ALT-J from my library on random, and all of it pops, has speed, and black, black background.

So yeah, most of the neighborhood out must equal quiet smooth power for me! LOL

Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #39 - 01/11/18 at 02:00:40

I guess I'm lucky. Living out away from town I have the best power I have ever had as far as "clean" and not having to compete with big users, and with my PS Audio P10 I have the same power day or late night. My amp does sound a bit better late at night. . . but it's because these amps love to be run hour after hour. . . by midnight if I'm up listening my amps have been on for 17 hours or so and hit a new plateau after about 12.

We are so lucky to have Decware components. . . they bring us so much joy.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print