04/26/24 at 16:59:44 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Tube straightener (Read 6162 times)
JD
Seasoned Member

Tube straightener
11/08/17 at 18:42:39

I had to send my amps back to Steve because of some issues and wanted to share this info so you do not make the mistake I have made. As someone who loves to tube roll I did not realize the importance of having the pins on the tubes completely straight. I have found some great deals on tubes with "bent or slightly bent" pins etc and did not bother trying to straighten them, just kind of wiggle them into place.
Well... be careful Steve had to repair or replace tube sockets on both my amp and preamp because I have the touch of a blacksmith without the skill set.

Just wanted to share so others did not make this mistake and think they broke their amps. He also shared a link to riverstone audio that is selling one for $29.99.

JD

IP Logged
Lin
Ex Member

Re: Tube straightener
Reply #1 - 11/08/17 at 22:42:20

IP Logged
JD
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 11/09/17 at 00:59:00

Appreciate the heads up Lin

JD

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #3 - 11/09/17 at 04:40:54

Yes, in fact having done all the upgrades and mods personally over the past few years it's more common and more of a problem than people realize.

In fact the result of using tubes with bent pins can effect the sound of the amplifier way beyond what you would think and destroy tubes within weeks.

Specifically it is the 9 pin tubes that have the issue. Yes you can still wear your 8 pin sockets with excessive rolling, but the pins never bend on octal tubes like that.  

Once your tube pins get bent, the sockets have no choice but to loosen up to accommodate the pins until such a point that the tube pins actually HAVE to be bent to make good contact.  Putting a fresh tube with perfectly straight pins in such a socket will typically have at least one pin if not more that do not make good contact.

During the QC processes before an amplifier leaves Decware, each tube pin receptacle of each tube socket on the amp is tested with a device that checks the spring tension of the steel and sets the proper diameter.  If a socket it too tight it leads to bent pins as people rock the tube back and forth to install and remove it.  If a socket has pin holders that are too loose it can result in over 100 possible side effects, none of which are good, all of which effect the sound, many of which effect the tube.

I need to really do a video on this, and I will, because it will save a lot of people a lot of money and headache.

Also, I looked at the pin straightener that linked to JD in a prior email, and thought about buying a hundred or so and selling them, but we can't have Decware customers with a Riverside Audio tube pin straightener, besides the design is ergonomically handicapped which will make it harder to use and harder on your hands since you can only get your finger tips on it. Also the entry angle (chamfer) for the tube pins is small enough that the pins will have to be fairly straight to begin with. I have found 60 degrees to be ideal when you just want to get the job done in seconds rather than jiggle around with it.

So I designed one with more mass, made from American T6 aluminum with the Decware Logo on the back that I can have machined here in the US for around the price of a single vacuum tube.

Watch for it soon.

WWW   IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #4 - 11/17/17 at 02:32:56

Something else that should be mentioned that there is a difference between New Old Stock tube pin diameters and some of the tubes floating around today with gold plated pins, the later being slightly larger which loosens up your tube sockets.  

Once idea is to use what is called a socket saver, which is plugged into your amps tube socket once, and you plug the tubes into it.  When it wears out you through it away and install a new one.

-Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Bottlehead
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 11/17/17 at 08:43:38

Steve,

Can't wait to order my new Decware Socket Saver! (In addition to my new Decware Tube Straightener).

Randy

IP Logged
Ace-Tone
Seasoned Member

8+ years with
Decware gear and
Loving it!!!

Reply #6 - 11/20/17 at 16:41:58

I like...could use this lil' gadget!

SE84UFO25, ZP3, Zstage, ZR2, ZSB, DM947, HERESY iii
VPI-Traveler2 +SS Zephyr MKIIIes.
Cambridge CXC. Schiit Bimby DAC
IC's Audio Envy, Decware, RAC-PC's, Mapleshade Dbl Helix+Spkr wires & jumpers
Blue Circle PLC FX2X0e, Herbies, GIK, PI Audio DIY treatment
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #7 - 10/06/18 at 21:31:14

Today was another day I am glad to have this nice little gadget. I bought a very strong testing Amperex Bugle Boy Holland 12AU7 at a great price (only one who bid on it was little old me) and when it arrived. . . boy were the pins bent!

I worked at getting them better carefully until I could get them into my Decware straightener and then gently massaged them into their proper "stature." Now the tube is in the ZROCK2 and sounding very good. . . !

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print