Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/18/24 at 07:18:49 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
The Squirrel Hillbillies (Read 3326 times)
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

The Squirrel Hillbillies
10/01/18 at 05:09:01

You're going to love this...

Have you ever wondered, while listening to your stereo, what it might sound like if the actual musicians were standing between your speakers playing live instead of being played from a recording on your stereo?  How close would the two experiences sound? You know you have, the question is how many times right?

And then have you ever wondered if they WERE actually standing there in real life between your speakers, and you were able to put two microphones above your head and record it as you heard it, what would THAT sound like played back on your stereo?

How would your recording compare to the commercial recoding you were originally listening to on your stereo?

Of course this could only happen on something simple, like a duet with a single guitar.  

This weekend a customer called me from Pennsylvania who was to be in the area visiting family and wanted to stop by for a quick tour of Decware and to take a peak at the new 25th Anniversary Zen Triode amplifier. He was accompanied by his beautiful partner who together are known world wide as "The Squirrel Hillbillies", a simple duet most of time playing folk music.

Wow are these two ever good!

They came over today and I twisted their arm to play a song in the listening room, since the microphones were already recording the speakers for the feed, it was no problem to connect the tape machine to the feed and have them stand between the speakers, which they did.

So I have a wonderful live 2-track master tape of the following song ( linked below) by them, which during the fest we can compare against the CD. I will say that these two are tight. The CD version and my live recording are nearly a dead match, the differences being in the recording, not the performance so it will be a perfect comparison.  That should should get some of you geeked out pretty hard : )

https://squirrelhillbillies.bandcamp.com/album/the-squirrel-hillbillies

Get familiar with the song on your own stereos before you come to the fest, and then listen to it here in our room. And then listen to it live on tape when you're here!

Next time they both are in the area together perhaps I can talk them into recoding a full master tape that we could offer for sale. ; )

Definitely recommended listening, both of their albums. Extremely well done stuff. You'll love it!

Besides being great music and a fascinating comparison, the real comparison is the difference between a well done purist digital recording and a live 2-track master tape.  Fun stuff : )

Happy listening!

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Re: The Squirrel Hillbillies
Reply #1 - 10/01/18 at 16:40:04

Rarely do I hear this type of music that captures me so. Just the right time of year. Today's fog settled in my small town, in need for just such an album to listen to.

Decware 34I.3 integrated amp/Forte' 3 bass amp/Velodyne SMS-1 bass mngmnt system/Decware ZOB speakers/Audio Nirvana 8" bass drivers/Xiang Seng DAC/ LR Audio Computer/Rega Apollo R CDP/Emotiva ERC3 CDP/BPT 3.0 power cond.
  IP Logged
Brian
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 10/02/18 at 03:38:36

That sure sounds like a fun comparison!
Geeking Hard would be the description of me.

Best wishes for the festival.
Brian

IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #3 - 10/03/18 at 21:39:21

Definitely what I like to read about you Steve. Takes me back to when you would record your Band to 2-Track on the Board at your first homestead/shop/garage + Home. Plus, you had that cool BASS producing concrete structure in your house basement (Decfest 2005).

When I lurked on the old Forum before calling you in May 2001.....I said: "This guy (I think) knows what it should sound like", NOT just good HI-FI....but the next level/peeling back the kernal..... .

The rest is history....when I bought the SE84CS 5/01. Then in 2014 & 15 ....your Reel to Reel Epiphany's too.

.....why, I'm still around and purchased the ZMA, 01/14 delivered. +, a few other pieces I purchased new and sold.

You still have the passion and quest!

Room Treats-M.Green & mine
Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Shunyata Z-Alpha DigPcord
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
Acoustic Zen Adagio/Modified
Kimber PK10 Palladian from wall
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #4 - 10/04/18 at 00:47:46

Very kind words, thank-you.  Yes, the passion is only growing stronger as this hobby never gives up all of it's secrets.  

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print