Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/20/24 at 15:10:50 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Help with biamping - how would you set it up? (Read 3476 times)
SeanE
Verified Member

Help with biamping - how would you set it up?
10/12/17 at 14:48:13

Everyone, I tried to use my Rachael to also feed a solid state amp to see if I could biamp. Got nowhere fast. I added the volume-controlled preouts when I ordered the Rachael because I thought it would be interesting to try. However, all I get is "tube noise" from the preouts. I always turn it off right away because that seems like it can't be good for he system.

Any tips? Anyone out there biamping?

Sean

SE34I.5, Rega RP6, PS Audio Directstream DAC, Triangle Electroacoustique Stratos Lunas.
  IP Logged
hdrider
Seasoned Member

On the path with
Decware.

Re: Help with biamping - how would you set it up?
Reply #1 - 10/14/17 at 16:52:22

Sean - I used to bi-amp before I sold all my gear and committed to the ''less is more'' ideal. I have a Rachael amp which I have used to drive the RCA inputs on my Omega sub, but felt it sounded better using the high level (speaker level) inputs so now I don't use the RCA outs. I did use a separate electronic crossover (really required I think for true bi-amping) then a multitude of amps to drive the different elements in my old set of speakers. For the last three years (this month actually) I have been living, finally, my musical dream of source, amp, speaker without crossover and don't ever see my system going back. I tried to look up your speakers, but couldn't find the model.Keep us posted on your experiment and what it yields for you. Happy listening, Chris.

CSP3, Rachael, ZP3, ZMC 1, Sony ES Bluray, Schitt Bitfrost DAC,Sota Star TT w/ FR-64, Hana SL Low Output Moving coil, Omega 7XRS Mk 2 walnut, DeepOmega 8 sub, Morrow Audio PH3 and MA3 IC's, Gamma Electrostatic phones.
  IP Logged
Carlsbad
Seasoned Member

Re: Help with biamping - how would you set it up?
Reply #2 - 04/16/22 at 17:55:33

I think that if your speaker is set up for biamping, you should not need an external crossover.  My Tekton Encores have a seperate crossover for the bass and one for the treble/midrange.  So just plug one amp into each connection. I've been toying with trying it with an ss amp driving the bass.  You do need volume control of some type on your ss amp as it is very unlikely that you will need to turn the gain down on that amp which will most likely have much more power than Rachel. However, I switched to KT88s and they have almost too much bass...Only listened to them a few hours but initial impressions are awesome. And getting used to the bass it is sounding much more natural.  So the biamping experiment is not very high on the list right now.

Decware SE84UFO w/20th mods
Grimm MU1 Streamer
Lampizator Golden Gate 3 DAC
Tekton Encore Speakers
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print