Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
New cans in house (Read 6334 times)
Crazy Bill the Eel Killer
Seasoned Member

Tubes Rule !!

New cans in house
10/04/17 at 02:03:40

Grado GS2000e arrived this afternoon and listening to Cohen now.

GREAT CANS !!!!

What else is there to say. Driven by my  SE84CSEX, this is the best headphone listening I've heard in my house. Bests, driven by the same amp, the Senn HD650 w/ Cardas cable, and the AKG 702 w/ Cardas cable. Also bests my Stax SRM007Tll driving the SR Omega and the SR007. It is that good.

Tone and body beyond belief. I'm completely lost and immersed.

A happy camper in Danbury !!

Cheers,                Crazy Bill

P.S.  Listening to METALLICA w/ San Francisco Symphony doing " Nothing Else Matters right now. Nothing to say other than right now " Nothing Else Matters "

If you can find this on vinyl, and you like Metallica, nothing else matters !!

IP Logged
Seasoned Member

Tubes Rule !!

Re: New cans in house
Reply #1 - 06/07/18 at 01:53:16

OK. I'm back.
After a couple of weeks of serious listening, I decided to send the Grados back. GREAT cans, but not for classic rock ( and of course, that is in my humble opinion ). And classic rock is my FIRST choice in listening.

So, the new Fostex  th 900 mk2 blue is now here ( arrived today ). Been listening for about an hour. Even this early on, clearly trounces my AKG 702 w/ Cardas cable. Which bested both my AKG 701 and Senn HD650 w/ Cardas cable. ( And the reason the Grado went back was  because, IMHO, it wasn't $ 1400 better than the 702.

These are WAY better at resolving complex and high volume patches than everything I've ever had here. NO congestion whatsoever.

I'm impressed and very happy.

as time goes on, more to come.

Cheers,                  Crazy Bill

IP Logged
Seasoned Member

Tubes Rule !!

Reply #2 - 07/24/18 at 02:29:03

Hello all,
Nothing else to say except the Fostex didn't go back and I am completely enjoying these cans.

World class headphones. Neutral, organic, and comfortable. Totally musical and enjoyable to wear and listen to.

These replaced my Stax's so that should say volumes.

Cheers,                   Crazy Bill

IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #3 - 07/24/18 at 03:35:39

'There just can't 'that' much difference in cans' is what I was thinking in the beginning of finding the right ones. NO differences seem small to me after trying out a few myself. I too, don't go for the Grado sound, expect with maybe the right amp or something. I ended up liking planar phones hands down. Man, have I ever been missing a lot all of these years.

Decware 34I.3 integrated amp/Forte' 3 bass amp/Velodyne SMS-1 bass mngmnt system/Decware ZOB speakers/Audio Nirvana 8" bass drivers/Xiang Seng DAC/ LR Audio Computer/Rega Apollo R CDP/Emotiva ERC3 CDP/BPT 3.0 power cond.
  IP Logged
Seasoned Member

Tubes Rule !!

Reply #4 - 07/01/19 at 02:19:46

Hello all,
I'm back.
Fostex's gone. Yes. I'm fickle. They were good, but :
Sold them a while back and went back to Stax ( got a Woo Audio WES with upgraded tubes here ). The Stax are very good, but they are driven by balanced electronics. And we all know I am a SE triode guy. So as good as the Stax set-up is, it's just not quite right.

Need my Decware SE amp driving dynamic cans to make me happy., Just need to find the RIGHT dynamic can.

And I think I'm there.

Grado GS3000e. These are good and I'm loving them. For the tone junkie ( yes, I am one of those ) these are end game cans. Tone, and then more tone.

Listening now to Revolver ( MOFI Beatles box set ), and I'm lost in the music.

For those tone junkies out there, you musty try these Grado cans.

Enjoy,        Crazy Bill

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print