Send Topic Print
Square Holes (Read 8457 times)
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Square Holes
09/28/17 at 03:37:13

Probably not a big deal to everyone, but cutting a square hole isn't my favorite thing. Fortunately, a coping saw helps out. Putting it in a vise gave me a bit more control. Do they make square hole punches?

P9280001.JPG

Decware 34I.3 integrated amp/Forte' 3 bass amp/Velodyne SMS-1 bass mngmnt system/Decware ZOB speakers/Audio Nirvana 8" bass drivers/Xiang Seng DAC/ LR Audio Computer/Rega Apollo R CDP/Emotiva ERC3 CDP/BPT 3.0 power cond.
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Re: Square Holes
Reply #1 - 09/28/17 at 15:12:34

They do actually - there is a ratchet and die setup you can get where you drill a hole in the center of where you want and thread a screw type device through it, then you mount a sharp die in the shape you want to cut out to the screw shaft, then you ratchet, ratchet, ratchet to pull the die through the metal and cut out the hole you want.

I've used them for IEC connectors and cutting tube holes when I build a few guitar amps from scratch using custom bent chassis. They are kind of expensive though...at least they were 10 or so years ago when I actually built guitar amps.

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #2 - 09/28/17 at 15:18:27

Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #3 - 09/28/17 at 15:22:42

Video of one made for outlets.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eo5Udskue84

4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #4 - 09/29/17 at 00:57:15

Much appreciated LR,

Today, I need to heed my own advice about heat sinking. It applied to the Soldering of these switches, and I have to replace one due to forgetting about the extra heat needed to attach wires. I will prep, and heat sink the next connection!

Decware 34I.3 integrated amp/Forte' 3 bass amp/Velodyne SMS-1 bass mngmnt system/Decware ZOB speakers/Audio Nirvana 8" bass drivers/Xiang Seng DAC/ LR Audio Computer/Rega Apollo R CDP/Emotiva ERC3 CDP/BPT 3.0 power cond.
  IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #5 - 09/30/17 at 03:56:01

Well, it all worked out. I am seeing double. Got this power supply ready run the "Punch Brothers" 660 Flat-Head buffer amp.

P9300001.JPG

IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #6 - 09/30/17 at 22:25:40

One more image

PA010001.JPG

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #7 - 10/02/17 at 19:02:10

Well that certainly looks all sorts of cool!

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print