Send Topic Print
Superphon Project (Read 7184 times)
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Superphon Project
09/14/17 at 17:56:27

As luck would have it, I got my hands on a pre-amp that I sold about 35 years ago from a friend. It has actually survived a house fire, but due to some heat issues, I decided to gut it and start anew. Painting the chassis was simple enough, but I skipped the faceplate and rear panel, which I will decide on what I might do in the end. I will be adding new circuitry in the form of a buffer amp, using with it a set of mono volume controls. I have done this before with great results. We will see where this leads.

P9140002.JPG

Decware 34I.3 integrated amp/Forte' 3 bass amp/Velodyne SMS-1 bass mngmnt system/Decware ZOB speakers/Audio Nirvana 8" bass drivers/Xiang Seng DAC/ LR Audio Computer/Rega Apollo R CDP/Emotiva ERC3 CDP/BPT 3.0 power cond.
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Re: Superphon Project
Reply #1 - 09/14/17 at 19:53:09

I'm not familiar with it, but that does sound like a neat history.

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #2 - 09/14/17 at 20:20:29

LR,

Superphon may have been the predecessor to PS Audio. Stan Warren, and that other guy, um what's his name 0), Paul something. Anyway, they worked together a number of years. These units had a separate chassis for the transformer, and I discovered that the DC portion of the power supply ran at 24 volts. It *was* quite robust. There was too much trouble to deal with it all, and after looking over the circuit boards, I decided that they weren't the best there was to begin with.

Decware 34I.3 integrated amp/Forte' 3 bass amp/Velodyne SMS-1 bass mngmnt system/Decware ZOB speakers/Audio Nirvana 8" bass drivers/Xiang Seng DAC/ LR Audio Computer/Rega Apollo R CDP/Emotiva ERC3 CDP/BPT 3.0 power cond.
  IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #3 - 09/16/17 at 02:58:44

Evenin' Folks,

A good start for sizing, drilling a bunch of new holes and some layout. Got a long way to go.

P9160001.JPG

IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #4 - 09/16/17 at 03:00:05

One more.

P9160003.JPG

IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #5 - 10/21/17 at 02:14:05

Just about there. Installed the tube buffer and a different sort of animal. An AR TDS202 module. Basically, it is a set of output transformers and a couple of filters designed to be a sort of loudness circuit. I found a small black enclosure to mount it in, and will be doing some listening soon.

PA190001_1024x768.jpg

IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #6 - 01/29/18 at 22:51:52

Just one more shot for the project. I have to work out a bit of hum concerning the TDS module inside the chassis. Other than that, it has risen once again. Notice the Raleigh Emblem on the top plate. It came from my very first decent ride. That's about all that is left of it!

P1300002.JPG

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print