Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/18/24 at 18:36:55 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
DIY CNC Woodworking Machine (Read 3181 times)
beowulf
Seasoned Member

DIY CNC Woodworking Machine
08/07/17 at 07:54:03

I thought this looked pretty cool and I know a lot of you guys are already really good with this stuff.  What is your opinion on something like this for audio projects?  It's basically a DVD that shows you how to build a DIY woodworking CNC.

DIY CNC Woodworking Machine

IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Re: DIY CNC Woodworking Machine
Reply #1 - 08/07/17 at 17:31:05

There are a couple of things that ring a bell here. No doubt the idea is very appealing. I would likely use a machine such as this myself. The first bell rang when there is a long drawn out explanation of a product. Keeping your attention by diverting to stories/examples just as the answer is around the corner. It is a selling tool played by many advertisers out there. Secondly, most any machine has it's limitations. In this case, you can see that the wood being cut or shaped is rather thin. This is due to the cutting depth of the router bit being used. So if you decide that you want to build a speaker cabinet with walls that are 1" deep, you will be laminating multiple panels of the same cut Exactly, one on top of the other. That isn't necessarily a bad thing. In fact, It can provide added strength to the panel being made. Just realize that it is a multiple step process. Next is that the router bit being used doesn't last forever. In fact, the smaller the diameter of the bit, the faster it dulls. Even a 1" diameter bit will start burning due to dullness in a few feet of cutting a deep groove. And I do mean that the fatter bit will be making multiple passes to cut that groove to the desired depth.
I am not saying that a machine such as this doesn't have it's place, as long as the limitations are considered against the desired projects to be made.

Decware 34I.3 integrated amp/Forte' 3 bass amp/Velodyne SMS-1 bass mngmnt system/Decware ZOB speakers/Audio Nirvana 8" bass drivers/Xiang Seng DAC/ LR Audio Computer/Rega Apollo R CDP/Emotiva ERC3 CDP/BPT 3.0 power cond.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print