ZROCK Tube Rolling (Read 20069 times)
Jeff of Arabica
Seasoned Member

Name the greatest of
all inventors...
Accident.

Re: ZROCK Tube Rolling
Reply #50 - 01/07/21 at 06:37:42

I just purchased a NOS RCA 12BH7.  Ill let you know how it goes once my ZROCK2-25 returns from the mothership.  I will be comparing it to a NOS Siemens silver plate 12AU7.

Canary Audio Grand Reference Monos//ZMA//Zen Ultra//Taboo MKIII//Waversa DAC3//ModWright Oppo UDP-205// PS Audio P20//Canary Audio MC-10//Van den Hul Colibri "Stradivarius"//FFYX T1803 TT//SonoruS Reel-to-Reel & tube playback preamp//Tannoy Westminster Speakers
  IP Logged
Number9
Verified Member

Reply #51 - 01/07/21 at 07:06:29

Awesome. Black plates? I will be checking on news.

I have a small stash of Hytron's that sound awesome elsewhere. Am curious if they would work before pulling the trigger on ZR2 purchase.

IP Logged
JOMAN
Seasoned Member

Reply #52 - 02/09/21 at 20:12:40

I just got my ZR2 back.  It needed repairs to the power supply.  While there Steve also changed the by pass cap to a Mundorf.  It's too soon to be specific about the change that this made other than to say that this is now a different ZR2 than he one that I remember and not in any small way.  I'm still scratching my head trying to figure this out and I'm enjoying my system more than ever.

As far as tube rolling is concerned, I have Raytheon 5814A WM getter, GE JG5814WA, Siemens ECC82 shiny nickel plate or silver plate as some call them and others.  With this Mundorf bypass cap each one sounds way better so much so that its put a new spin on tube rolling in the ZR2.

I need to put a few hours on this "revision" and perhaps then I can be more specific but for now, I'm too busy enjoying the music.

I will say that I'm so glad that the ZR2 needed repairs!

IP Logged
JOMAN
Seasoned Member

Reply #53 - 02/11/21 at 04:07:49

Followup to my previous post...

It's been two days of living with my repaired ZR2 with the change to the Mundorf bypass cap.  Earlier I said that this was now a different ZR2 and it most certainly is.  I said that it was a head scratcher, so to speak.  Here's why:  I have lived with my ZR2 prior to the A25 mods and then with the A25 mods.  The difference between those two versions was obvious and easier to understand, one could make sense of the difference.

With the repairs and the Mundorf cap, the the difference does not make sense comparatively speaking and that's why I had to think about what I have been hearing until I was finally able to make sense of this and until I could explain it in a way that would make sense, and it finally dawned on me tonight.

The difference between the ZR2  and now the ZR2 with the Mundorf bypass cap is similar to if not the same as the difference that I experienced when I went from my SE84UFO2 to the UFO25.  The ZR2 with the Mundorf cap is in a different league now.

As far as I am concerned the UFO25 and the ZR2 with the Mundorf bypass cap were made for each other!

I did roll some of the tubes that I have, only to determine which I will leave in place until the repairs and cap burn in.  In the first version I settled on the Siemens ECC82 Silver Plate, with the 2nd version, the ZR2 version, I settled on the Raytheon 5814A Windmill Getter.  Right now I'm back with the Siemens ECC82 Silver Plate.  If you want to know what this is like look up Brent Jesse's summary of it.

Also I changed the signal tube in my CSP3 to a Siemens PCC188 SQ.  I'm going to be running this combination until the ZR2 burns in, at which point I will be able detail the results. In the meantime, now that I been able to put the changes into perspective, what I will say is... WOW!

IP Logged
JOMAN
Seasoned Member

Reply #54 - 02/11/21 at 04:11:12

I should read what I write more carefully... in the CSP3 signal position I have a PHILIPS PCC188 SQ not Siemens.

IP Logged
JOMAN
Seasoned Member

Reply #55 - 02/13/21 at 00:01:13

Day 3 with the updated ZR2 with Mundorf bypass cap.  My CSP3 is going in for the A-25 mods with the Mundorf caps.  It's a no-brainer, the ZR2 is that good!

IP Logged
JOMAN
Seasoned Member

Reply #56 - 02/24/21 at 23:41:41

Thought I'd chime in on my recent experience with tube rolling in the ZR2.  I've put on about 30 hours since I got it back.  Then I sent my CSP3 in for the A-mods.  So I'm running it directly into my UFO2.  It seems that has allowed me to hear the character of the tubes better (I do miss my CSP3).

First I put in my Siemens 12AU7 Silver Plate, then I rolled a National 5963 black plate and it rivalled the Siemens!  So I had a close look at it and all the tubes that I have for the ZR2 and noticed something of interest.

The 5963 types can come with 'ladder' style plates OR the same plates as in a 5814a.  The 5963 National that I have I bought from Steve and it has the 5814a style black plates but with two mica support rods that curve back into the top mica.  When I looked I found that  that National, Sylvania and Raytheon used both types of plate structures in the 5963 and I did hear a difference.

Of the 5963 type the ones that I preferred and that were noticeably different are the Siemens 12AU7 Silver plate which has the 'ladder' type plates and then the National 5963 that has the 5814a type black plates WITH the mica support rods.  Typically I prefer the 5963s with the 5814a style plates the exception being the Siemens silver plate.

Next the Raytheon 5814a Windmill getter, grey plate, with 3 holes in the plates.  This is in a class of its own.  Larger scale and the best retrieval of details that convey nuance and emotion with the best bass.  At times it does seem a little 'hot' but listening carefully I'm quite sure it's the room and volume that I play at  :D.

I could easily live with any of the above, but the Raytheon is addictive.  So this got my curiosity going again (the cursed audiophile disease). I happened across a National 6189/12AU7WA triple mica, black plate, tightly matched sections with a getter that seems different from any I've seen so far... gotta check it out!

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print