03/28/24 at 22:10:11 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Completed Zkit (Read 4194 times)
JamieR
Verified Member

Completed Zkit
07/31/17 at 00:46:55

Finished a Zkit today. I got lucky, no appreciable hum ( I have to put my ear right next to the woofer to hear any hum), incredible detail. I am constantly amazed at how little power I need to enjoy music. I can't turn this up all the way without feeling that it's too loud and that's with 8 ohm, 89 db speakers in a medium sized room. Thanks Steve, for this wonderful amp.

Jamie

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Re: Completed Zkit
Reply #1 - 08/01/17 at 03:39:08

Congratulations and well done!

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
JamieR
Verified Member

Reply #2 - 11/02/17 at 19:08:28

I had an extra board so I built a second Zkit. I put ASC X386S caps in the PS. It's breaking in now, but already sounds fantastic.

Jamie

IMG_2071_001.jpg
  IP Logged
JamieR
Verified Member

Reply #3 - 11/02/17 at 19:17:27

Heres a view of the Caps.

Jamie

IMG_2072_001.jpg
  IP Logged
bhenriks
Verified Member

Reply #4 - 12/25/23 at 13:09:15

5+ years later... What a cool build.  Looks great, how those big parts are positioned.  I'm really curious about the sound and effect of motor run caps now.  Great job Jamie.

IP Logged
JamieR
Verified Member

Reply #5 - 03/25/24 at 16:32:40

Sorry for the late reply, I haven’t visited the site for a while. On the subject of the Motor Run Caps, they do seem to improve the bottom end of the amp a bit but, they really don’t add anything else. They were tricky to design into the board, probably not worth the effort, but they do add a substantial look to the amp. Modern electrolytics are pretty good, good enough that going to great lengths to replace them with film caps is not worth effort, at least when it comes to PS caps. However, no DIY experience is ever wasted. I learned a lot from that project and when I listen to that amp I am always amazed at what 2 really good watts can do.

Jamie

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print