Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/19/24 at 18:45:44 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
80s receiver as preamp for Decware (Read 2884 times)
Barnharty
Ex Member

80s receiver as preamp for Decware
07/21/17 at 20:54:28

Hi, my friend is offering me a Nakamichi Ta4a for a pretty good deal. I know it's pretty highly regarded for it's Nelson Pass design, but wondering if it's worth it. Would it benefit my Decware Zen if I used it as a preamp or would the sound be better without it? Would you recommend picking it up just as an amp for a second setup or would it be garbage compared to the Zen and I'd never want to listen to it?

I really respect everyone's opinions here so I just want to see what y'all think.

Thanks!

IP Logged
busterfree
Seasoned Member

Re: 80s receiver as preamp for Decware
Reply #1 - 07/22/17 at 03:25:45

How big is your room, and what type of speakers do you have? Room treatments?

If it is a good deal and you have the cash, why not play with it? This can be part of the fun in this hobby. You can resell it later. Better yet, will he let you borrow it for a few days?

IP Logged
Barnharty
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 07/22/17 at 05:40:30

Room is about 12x15, speakers are Klipsch Cornwalls, room treatments is just a lot of wall hangings, rugs, soft furniture, etc

I don't think I'd be able to just try it out. He lives pretty far away, so he'd ship it to me.

IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 07/22/17 at 18:21:08

Listen. Any 30 year-old solid state amp would probably need to be recapped and gone through to assure maximum performance. Does it have an FM section? That would be a plus. A phono? That, too would be worthwhile.

I use a classic Marantz 2226B silver face receiver that everything I have passes through. I benefit from the tone controls for poorly recorded material and the tinny TV audio signal. I use the phono section for records. I even have a 3.5 mm jack for iPhone audio that runs through the tape 1 input.

If I were you I would obtain an old receiver that has a good phono section, have it reworked and use it with your setup. Feel free to send me a personal message if you want to discuss this further.

MINI TORII & ZROCK2 both anniversaried; 'Lil Audio F-15; TECHNICS SL1200MK2 KAB MODDED TT; ONKYO 6 DISC CD; MARANTZ 2226B; SCHIIT MULTIBIT DAC; SENNHEISER HD-580s
55   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print