04/26/24 at 09:54:51 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Rachel vs. SE84UFO (Read 14475 times)
MarkR7
Verified Member

Rachel vs. SE84UFO
06/13/17 at 05:02:17

I currently have a mint SE84UFO that I only occasionally run with my Omega Super Alnico monitors. While it's a great amp, I don't use it often since I find myself wanting to play louder to fill my largish room (25' x 20' by vaulted ceiling). I prefer to listen in the 80 to 85 db range, with peaks hitting 100db area or so, which my First Watt F7 has no problem with.

At 6wpc, the Rachel is between 7 and 8 db more powerful than the SE84UFO, and should allow me to play noticeably louder.

What are the sonic differences between these two amps that I can expect? I would be thinking the Rachel .4 or .5 version with the UFO transformers and Jupiter caps.

Thanks!
Mark

Omega Super Alnico HO monitors, Coincident M300B monoblocks Exasound E32 DAC, MacBook Pro running Tidal/Roon/HQPlayer, Cerious Tech Graphene Extreme cables - SC, PC, Teo GC IC, Verastarr Nemesis USB cable
  IP Logged
Martindfletcher

Re: Rachel vs. SE84UFO
Reply #1 - 06/13/17 at 05:14:08

I have no experience yet as mine are still on order, but why not bridge another se84ufo to get the extra power?  Might save money and sound as good or better.

Chain in order: TD124 mki, Denon 103R, Ortofon RS-309D, zu silver phono cable, ZMC1, Audio Art RCA, ZP3, vintage RCA 5U4G Rectifier, Gold lion signal tubes, DW silver reference, Xhadow, Bridged UFO2's, gold lion 6922, mapleshade double helix plus, zu Druid v's
  IP Logged
MarkR7
Verified Member

Reply #2 - 06/13/17 at 05:33:53

I think it would be cheaper to go with a Rachel instead of another SE84UFO, and I'd prefer to keep things simpler, e.g. one power cable, one set of tubes, etc., and use less space.

Omega Super Alnico HO monitors, Coincident M300B monoblocks Exasound E32 DAC, MacBook Pro running Tidal/Roon/HQPlayer, Cerious Tech Graphene Extreme cables - SC, PC, Teo GC IC, Verastarr Nemesis USB cable
  IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #3 - 06/15/17 at 06:14:40

While I am a big fan of Rachael, you aren't going to be happy getting 6 watts instead of 2. Every doubling of watts only gives an increase of 3db, meaning your more likely to end up with 4db difference. A decent increase in volume would put you into a Tori Jr. at 20 watts per channel, possibly resulting in an increase of 10db, if I have math correct. In any case, you will be happier with too much power instead of too little. Been there before myself. Fortunately, the used market has good deals if you are patient.

Decware 34I.3 integrated amp/Forte' 3 bass amp/Velodyne SMS-1 bass mngmnt system/Decware ZOB speakers/Audio Nirvana 8" bass drivers/Xiang Seng DAC/ LR Audio Computer/Rega Apollo R CDP/Emotiva ERC3 CDP/BPT 3.0 power cond.
  IP Logged
MarkR7
Verified Member

Reply #4 - 06/15/17 at 20:52:05

I suspect you are right. In fact, it seems that my system / room's sweet spot sure seems like it's in the 20wpc area or higher!

IP Logged
HIFI JEFF
Verified Member

Reply #5 - 09/03/17 at 17:46:46

I am in the same dilemma. Are you only running 2 channel ? I am running full Dolby Atmos system. And would need one more channel for the center. For all my surrounds and height channels, I am using an inexpensive Solid state amp. So I don't know whether to go with the Torii Jr and a single SE84UFO for the center or what to do.

IP Logged
HIFI JEFF
Verified Member

Reply #6 - 09/03/17 at 17:51:32

Can you bridge the Rachel?

IP Logged
DBC
Seasoned Member

Reply #7 - 09/03/17 at 20:16:35

For what it's worth: The Rachel's ratted output is 5.8 watts based on a 2.5 volt input signal. Most consumer sources max out around 2.0 volts if i'm not mistaken?

If your source has a max 2.0 volt output then the Rachel will be driven to produce 4.6 watts if my math is correct. I've heard the Rachael & UFO back to back several times in two different rooms on separate occasions. To my ear there is not a readily apparent difference in output volume between the two.

The Rachael is a bit more Laid Back compared to the UFO IMO. My impression listening to them back to back is the SE84UFO has a bit more Transparency. Which one you like will be a matter of personal taste.

Main System: Oppo BDP-105D, SE84UFO amp, Omega Super Alnico Monitors, Twin Custom SLAB 15's (Low Frequency Open Baffle).
Room #2: Oppo BDP-83SE, SE84CS amp, Omega Super 3i Monitors, Twin Custom SLAB 12's (Low Frequency Open Baffle).
DBC   IP Logged
JOMAN
Seasoned Member

Reply #8 - 09/04/17 at 14:49:33

Mark,
Thought I would offer the following for your consideration...
It's not always about the available power but rather the synergy between the amp and speakers, some simply work better together than others regardless of power.

My experience with monitor style speakers is that very few if any have been able to "fill" large spaces regardless of the available power of the amplifier.  In fact some lower power amps worked better than some higher power amps.  

Since you have Omega Super Alnico Monitors I would suggest that you note the remarks on the Omega site of the following tower speakers: Super 8 XRS, Super3HOXRS and Super Alnico HOXRS.  

A low power amp will limit your speaker choice more so than one with higher power but that doesn't mean that a low power amp will not be able to fill a large room depending on the speakers chosen and there are more options now than in the past.  

My comments are not to be taken to mean that you shouldn't consider a higher power amp.   Rather, if you can opt for an alternative speaker/amp combination I wouldn't rule out the Super Zen.  

IP Logged
MarkR7
Verified Member

Reply #9 - 09/06/17 at 18:28:07

Thanks for all the suggestions folks.  To close the loop, I did end up selling my SE84UFO as it would not power my (Super Alnico Monitors) SAM HOs to a distortion free volume level that was ideal for me in my big room.   Sad

I ended up taking a chance on a pair of highly praised 300b SET monoblocks, and with the HOs, wow! These 8wpc amps sound quite a bit more powerful than they really are, and yes, they easily fill my large room with sweet, sweet music, albeit thru the Omega monitors (and a sub).    8-)

IP Logged
HIFI JEFF
Verified Member

Reply #10 - 09/13/17 at 00:39:25

Mark,

So I am a little confused. What amps are you running? Your signature says, Red Dragon and SE84UFO. Then your last post said 300B SET mono Blocks?

What are you running? I am trying to decide on huge power or go back to what I like, the SE84UFOx2.

IP Logged
MarkR7
Verified Member

Reply #11 - 09/13/17 at 16:53:23

Jeff, sent you a PM.... yeah, my sig is definitely out of date, and I need to update it.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print