04/26/24 at 16:56:25 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Pipe - like things ? (Read 6893 times)
Brian
Seasoned Member

Pipe - like things ?
06/12/17 at 00:08:54

In the picture of the new Egg speaker https://www.decware.com/newsite/images/eggroom.jpg
What are the tubes which look like organ pipes hanging from the ceiling?  Are these decoration or room treatment?

Brian

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Re: Pipe - like things ?
Reply #1 - 06/12/17 at 06:13:20

They are from Steve's other pet projects - he's working on making giant chimes.  

I got to play with them for a bit, thump them with a mallet, and even see what a recording of them looked like on a digital scope on his Mac.

They are quite beautiful to listen to.

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #2 - 06/12/17 at 06:38:26

Neither One...  Those are a giant set of Solfeggio chimes I'm working on. I purchased a small set on ebay a few years back out of curiosity to hear these notes that are not music and that are curiously not mentioned in the Bible but still encoded into the book of Numbers.

The set arrived and were very fascinating except when measured were found to be not perfectly tuned.  

Additionally I found the lower notes (174Hz, 285Hz, 396Hz especially) did not actually play the frequency they are tuned to because the harmonic is so much higher. For example, in the 1 inch set of chimes I bought, the 174Hz chime plays the note 920Hz 40 dB louder than the fundamental of 174Hz.  

This always annoyed me because listening to harmonics of a frequency instead of the frequency itself seems like a trade-off.

To create a chime that when struck plays the fundamental with low level quickly decaying harmonics is the exact opposite of what we have here. To make a long story short, I had to really super size them.

Here is a video of one being struck:   https://decware.wistia.com/medias/km84wpxcwa
The microphones were exactly 15 feet away from the chime and in the center of the room with no close boundaries.  You can see how clear the tone is.

The chimes on the right are also sacred frequencies, the closest I could get to the solfeggio on the left.  The low chime on this set is 172Hz.  When both sets are played together they create beat frequencies that just wreck the place.  When they told you that you can only hear down to 20 Hz, they lied.  Try 2 Hz.  

Lots of fascinating insights on multiple fronts have resulted from this venture so far.  You can see that the 2 minute sustain (unreal right?)  is very desirable.  These pipes are 1/8 inch 6061 aluminum 3 inches in diameter so they are heavy.  When I got to 528Hz, the sustain was getting much shorter.  639Hz was undoable.  So short it sounded like you were hitting a giant rock.  

It has taken me months to find a way to get a longer sustain and I finally got it after multiple failures with 1/2 inch wall 2-1/2 inch 6061 extruded aluminum. It's as heavy as the big pipes, and has a usably long sustain and all the output volume you would ever need. See the nice thing about making the chimes big, is that volume is related to surface area. The difference in surface area between a 1 inch diameter 1 meter chime and a 3 inch diameter 2 meter chime is huge.

So tonight I actually finished the highest one, 963 Hz and will now be able to complete the remaining three using this same heavy wall pipe.  When I get them all completed I'll do some videos of them in combinations.  

Sadly I won't be able to play them all at once unless I record them on tape.  Even my DSD recorder starts to panic after about 4 chimes are struck together.  It just can't deal with that much information at the same time.  It's probably the beat frequencies...

Interesting thing about those, it takes awhile for them to develop.  Usually about a minute.  What happens is that the first chime is struck and then the second is stuck, but where on the 360 degree scale did you actually strike the second chime?  Odds are 359 to 1 that it wasn't 0, so what happens is the two chimes magically adjust their timing  until they become in sink.  Once both are at 0 phase, the beat frequency begins and it's as loud as everything else.

Ask a simple question, get more than you bargained for.

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Brian
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 06/12/17 at 21:15:41

You get into the most interesting stuff! You are having a great life.

The sustain of the note was incredibly long.

It cracks me up that the Digital recorder gets information overload while something real such as tape can process the information.  

Brian

IP Logged
Brian
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 06/12/17 at 21:21:50

Your statement regarding Beat Frequency synchronization reminds me of some famous scientist a few hundred years ago (I have forgotten which scientist) who put two tall case long pendulum clocks next to each other and observed that their pendulum swings eventually came into synchronization with each other.  He said it was evidence that the universe has an impulse to harmony.  An inbuilt inclination for all things to work together joyously.  

Brian

IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #5 - 06/13/17 at 00:11:04

My father tuned pianos every now and then. Once when I was  watching him, he asked if I could hear the beat? I could not. I expected to easily hear what he did, and yet walked away disappointed. Makes me wonder about some things out there. Why are some of us tuned to some things and yet others, not so much. My thing is vibration. I 'feel' the earth sometimes. No not a passing train. A pulse that seems to be at 7 Hz if I am counting correctly. Moving back to Wyoming 10 years ago, I haven't felt it since, but other vibrations. Living too close to Yellowstone Park I think.

Decware 34I.3 integrated amp/Forte' 3 bass amp/Velodyne SMS-1 bass mngmnt system/Decware ZOB speakers/Audio Nirvana 8" bass drivers/Xiang Seng DAC/ LR Audio Computer/Rega Apollo R CDP/Emotiva ERC3 CDP/BPT 3.0 power cond.
  IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 06/13/17 at 17:13:29

Brian, the two pendulums eventually swinging together has a scientific term....sympathy, or acting in sympathy. I remember a similar experiment with two simple, smaller pendulum, just a weight on a thin cord or wire next to another one. I dont think there`s any maths for it, just one of those things that await  understanding.    Smiley

Decware: Rachaels x 2 bridged, C. SP2+, ZP3, ZMC1, DHC-1 pw/cbl`s Michell Orbe + SME V + M.Benz LP s, Arcam CD33, Nakamichi LX5, Lowther acoustas DX2`s, WE 16g sp/cbl`s, Isotek mains substation, M & K subwoofer, Belden 8402 interconnects.
  IP Logged
Brian
Seasoned Member

Reply #7 - 06/14/17 at 02:36:08

Thanks, Syd.
A bizarre thing.  

Brian

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print