Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/28/24 at 22:46:04 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Magnetic RCA adapters (Read 20184 times)
pursuitofnow
Seasoned Member

Magnetic RCA adapters
05/14/17 at 18:05:05

Every once in a while I explore the various tweaks out there and these have sparked interest. Has anyone tried http://www.highfidelitycables.com/products/adapters/rca/ or anything similar? Thoughts?

VPI Classic Signature | Koetsu Urushi Black | Bob's Sky 20 | ZP3 | Swiss Digital Fuse Box
DirectStream DAC (APS nickel transformers, Vocm mod)
ZTPRE | ZBIT | ZROCK2 | SE84UFO3
Omega Super 3 HO XRS | Deep 8
Zenwave D4 | PCR-11 | PI Audio Uberbuss
---
ZR 3
  IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Re: Magnetic RCA adapters
Reply #1 - 05/14/17 at 20:02:43

Personally, if I were to go for Snake Oil, I'd go for Steve's Snake Oil and get his Pills.  Many here say they do wonderful things.  :)

ZLC
Technics 1200G TT w/ Ortofon Jubilee MC cart
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Homemade Big Betsy Speakers (F15s)
Silver Cabling
DIY Isolation platforms under amps & TT.
  IP Logged
pursuitofnow
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 05/14/17 at 21:01:34

I hear you. I've thought about the pills but I would also need another set of cables which doesn't really excite me and if I understand correctly, the pills aren't about magnetism. But I could be wrong.

VPI Classic Signature | Koetsu Urushi Black | Bob's Sky 20 | ZP3 | Swiss Digital Fuse Box
---
ZR 3
  IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 05/15/17 at 00:22:54

Good point about the cables.

ZLC
Technics 1200G TT w/ Ortofon Jubilee MC cart
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Homemade Big Betsy Speakers (F15s)
Silver Cabling
DIY Isolation platforms under amps & TT.
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #4 - 05/15/17 at 22:20:38

Quote:
I hear you. I've thought about the pills but I would also need another set of cables which doesn't really excite me and if I understand correctly, the pills aren't about magnetism. But I could be wrong.

OK, so they aren't about magnetism...and?

And the HFC things are magnetic, and?

Do you know what the theory is about each device and if you even need it, or do you just have money to burn?

I'm all for trying things, just to see what happens, I just hate seeing people buy stuff not knowing if they even need it, when there are better things to spend money on with bigger impact. Like roomtreatments.  ;)

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #5 - 05/15/17 at 22:37:24

I will sell you my Acme Wile E Coyote Super Genius signature model magnet for only $240.24.
It makes everything sound different!

Owner of the infamous RED TORII and Dan the Redheaded Amp
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #6 - 05/15/17 at 22:51:20

LOL - That's awesome.

In all seriousness though - just speculating - if these do anything, and are some sort of 'magnetic" something...they are probably just mini-isolation transformers giving you galvanic isolation.

You could also do this with Balanced cables, like Steve's Magic Box (or whatever he wound up calling it).

Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #7 - 05/15/17 at 22:59:19

They are not mini-isolation transformers. If you look there is information about them online, and they are a series of mini-magnets aligned in a pattern down the shaft of the adaptor.

My experiences with magnets lets me think that if you have very revealing interconnects this could make a decided difference in the sound that for some systems should/could be an improvement. The aim is to further reduce EMI right at the source and destination.

There are both very positive and some "meh" reviews online. The manufacturer is currently out of stock and is expecting more to be available in August.

Room treatment is really something. . . but it's also something that is not for everyone. I for one am "not allowed to even consider it." This is the word from the woman who means more to me than my stereo system. (And that's a lot). So sometimes other methods are explored instead. I don't scoff at anyone who might want to try these et al. (Nor do I think someone is superior because they have room treatment; I've heard fantastic systems both with and without).

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #8 - 05/16/17 at 01:07:44

Lon,

In rough terms the Mad Scientist disc's that I experimented with a couple of years ago had some weak magnetic properties to them, but the claim was more about the material that they were made of. At the website, I believe that this is explained, but in the end it had as much to do with where the disc's were placed and how many.
In the case of these adapters, I take the same stance as you, but only with the assurance from the seller that they can be returned is you are not impressed.

Decware 34I.3 integrated amp/Forte' 3 bass amp/Velodyne SMS-1 bass mngmnt system/Decware ZOB speakers/Audio Nirvana 8" bass drivers/Xiang Seng DAC/ LR Audio Computer/Rega Apollo R CDP/Emotiva ERC3 CDP/BPT 3.0 power cond.
  IP Logged
pursuitofnow
Seasoned Member

Reply #9 - 05/16/17 at 02:24:21

Hey Lonely Raven,

You made a lot of assumptions and it's clear to me that you are obliviously skeptical of things you don't understand, and just plain out not very friendly. Not sure where the attitude is coming from.

FWIW, I don't have money to burn. I'm very much happy with my system, but as stated in my original post I do wonder what other things can be done to enhance. The journey can more fun than the arrival.

I came across these adapters claiming to provide more low level information, and why yes I will always take more of that. I asked on this forum I've learned a lot on here and thought others may have tried these or other similar tweaks that I have not.

I'm not really looking to cure "digititus" as I don't hear it in my system.

---
ZR 3
  IP Logged
pursuitofnow
Seasoned Member

Reply #10 - 05/16/17 at 02:58:59

Lon,

Thanks for the information. I've found a couple places online that have them available, I'm just not sure I'm ready to pull the trigger. Interesting point about the interconnects. Maybe I should upgrade mine before considering this type of tweak. I'm using the Audio Art IC-3SE with Shadow plugs.

I too don't have the option of room treatment. For one, my wife is not having it, but we also rent and I'm not inclined to have to fix everything back when we do move eventually. And that's ok, t's all sounding pretty damn good and one day I may get to have a designated listening room.

---
ZR 3
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #11 - 05/16/17 at 03:03:36

4krow wrote on 05/16/17 at 01:07:44:
Lon,

In rough terms the Mad Scientist disc's that I experimented with a couple of years ago had some weak magnetic properties to them, but the claim was more about the material that they were made of. At the website, I believe that this is explained, but in the end it had as much to do with where the disc's were placed and how many.
In the case of these adapters, I take the same stance as you, but only with the assurance from the seller that they can be returned is you are not impressed.

Agreed, I would only try them with the option to return as well. If I ever get a big wad of audio dollars again (big if!) I might try them s I have interconnects that I think will allow me to hear any change.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #12 - 05/16/17 at 03:16:30

pursuitofnow wrote on 05/16/17 at 02:58:59:
Lon,

Thanks for the information. I've found a couple places online that have them available, I'm just not sure I'm ready to pull the trigger. Interesting point about the interconnects. Maybe I should upgrade mine before considering this type of tweak. I'm using the Audio Art IC-3SE with Shadow plugs.

I too don't have the option of room treatment. For one, my wife is not having it, but we also rent and I'm not inclined to have to fix everything back when we do move eventually. And that's ok, t's all sounding pretty damn good and one day I may get to have a designated listening room.

I think that this technology probably will show the best results with certain interconnects, which is why it makes sense that they have created their own cabling to work with them. I really believe in synergy and quality of cabling. I have tried a number of cables and they are very different. I wish I could be happy with the Decware cabling, I could save a lot of money. . . but to get the best I could from my system I had to look further. I really like where I have landed with VooDoo Cable interconnects and I think that these adaptors might work well with them.

I'm divided as to whether one should upgrade cables or not. The proof is in the pudding--these adaptors might improve the sound of the interconnects we have and BE an upgrade. Whether another interconnect is a better choice. . . well here is where buying with a return policy or using a "library" like The Cable Co. is a boon! It's such an exploration and a risky one at times.

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #13 - 05/16/17 at 15:29:08

Quote:
Hey Lonely Raven,

You made a lot of assumptions and it's clear to me that you are obliviously skeptical of things you don't understand, and just plain out not very friendly. Not sure where the attitude is coming from.

I am both a skeptic, and a right bastard LOL  

Sorry, that did come across as harsh, my apologies.

Personally, after having wasted so much time and money on toys and gimmicks, I feel there are many more impactful things to do first.

pursuitofnow
Seasoned Member

Reply #14 - 05/17/17 at 06:15:02

Quote:
I am both a skeptic, and a right bastard LOL  

Sorry, that did come across as harsh, my apologies.

Personally, after having wasted so much time and money on toys and gimmicks, I feel there are many more impactful things to do first.

No worries. Given that you have tried a lot of toys and gimmicks, what would you say are good investments outside of room treatments? IC cables, fuses, etc.?

---
ZR 3
  IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #15 - 05/19/17 at 01:24:56

Alfred Kainz at high-end electronics carries these adapters, though out of stock right now. He has been a good guy to deal with and ask questions of for me. He also has a straight up return policy, and at least in my experience, it can "grow a bit" in time if needed.

I would be interested to hear about what they do with your system if you end up trying them.

As to the phenomena of skeptics in audio...

"skeptic |ˈskeptik| (Brit. sceptic)
noun
1 a person inclined to question or doubt all accepted opinions.
• a person who doubts the truth of Christianity and other religions; an atheist or agnostic.
2 Philosophy an ancient or modern philosopher who denies the possibility of knowledge, or even rational belief, in some sphere.”

Quantum is a world-class audio skeptic’s buzz-word, but why?

Having liked "quantum stickers" on fuses, and recommended by folks modifying Gustard x20pro DACs (like I have been), they are up in my world. After learning to cut them up to get the best from them (generally too powerful here in larger doses), and finding the best places for sound, the DAC was notably improved. Now I am trying them in other places in the system. For better or worse, they are quite notable here.

Likely there are systems where the stickers are less, or not noticeable, but not because the maker thinks they work down to a "quantum" level. From Wikipedia: "In physics, a quantum (plural: quanta) is the minimum amount of any physical entity involved in an interaction."

When it comes to electricity/energy, interactivity of subatomic particles seems a given. And since music rises mysteriously out of a bunch of parts put together and moving energy in specific and interactive ways, is it a surprise that subtle (quantum) particle activity can be audible, or at least part of what is audible?

Some placements, these stickers refine the signal in ways that appeal to my preferences, and others, they refine it in ways I find off-balancing. Either way, the sound fits the concept, to clean and consolidate signal quality, supporting the presumption that they are effecting the energetic qualities that create the signal.

But I have been exploring improved signal integrity (with musicality) progressively for years, with cumulative results that are more powerful than expected. I think this is because noise perpetuates noise, building on itself...an exponential effect. If little by little we take it out, allowing better original electronic and signal integrity potential, decreasing damage is powerful. Whether conventional or "esoteric," including a lot of DIY, I find I can often refine my system better, and at much less expense for similar improvements to those brought about by mixing and matching a lot of relative "value" manufacturer's components and cables.

The result from things that help increase our listening enjoyment (like these magnetic adapters might), each improvement expands upon past improvements, and the system/room becomes more revealing. So far for me, progressive system/room improvements make new tools more easy to hear on all levels.

Toward seductive musical experiences, most everyone I know of who is serious, developer or user, has naturally exercised a great deal of experimentation, research, and skill development in discernment. Driven by desire for improvements, healthy discernment and healthy analytics go hand-in-hand...I think success is dependent mostly on confidence in what we can hear, and from there, time and experimentation refine tools, skills and quality. The point being, audio heads tend to naturally be picky and investigative.

So the assumption that those among us open to trying or using innovative audio tech need protection from ourselves, or protection from developers, seems presumptuous to me. It also casts mistrust on the perception, skills in listening, discernment, financial acumen, and intelligence in general of those of us who ultimately find some of these things useful and a decent value…

This leads to the question: why do so many folks with very revealing system/rooms hear a lot of things many don't hear in other systems? Are those with more revealing systems delusional, or might there be a chance that the cumulative effects from persistent signal quality refinement has caused more to be discernible? Why does it rarely occur to "skeptics" that mistrust underling broad skepticism could easily disallow system improvement that could make subtler things more audible?

Then there is good business. Whether little stickers or primary components, a basic premise for developing most audio tools is to try to balance expense and performance...both as a means of exercising intelligent thrift, and to help be competitive in performance/value. There are no "givens" that complex systems of parts made this way are ever "finished."

And our "faith" in some developers and users, and not others, can certainly help or cloud our perspective, so why not investigate more deeply.

If I felt like Steve and Bob’s very high level of design was the absolute end-all, I simply would not have the system quality I have. One example: it took research, learning soldering skills, and experimenting, but bypassing the power caps in my Torii and CSP3 "just so" jumped up my system comparably to a serious component upgrade...something not all that easy at this level, nor anywhere near as inexpensive as this was. And though these were more conventional “mods,” a search on bypassing audio caps will show that this too is "controversial" for “skeptics.” But in my case, great became greater!

For me, experimentation for refinements that make the music feel realer are stimulus for creative exploration. And this is supported, no matter the latest start place, by how my musical experience can always get better, at least so far. Then after good research (research that allows possibility that we do not "know" everything yet), and from relatively exhaustive efforts to get the most from whatever it is I decided to try, most things stay. I have rejected a few things, but most of those were in-part because the advice from someone I generally trusted the ear of helped me be lazy about more serious research.

The upshot...with each improvement that improves signal integrity musically, and how a room responds to it, all the rest becomes clearer. This can make one person's "snake oil" into another's tool. So I agree with Lon, if we can return it, and we like the sound of something conceptually and review-wise, it may well be worth the risk of shipping costs (and even a minor restocking fee) to try it in our systems.

Clearly, at the musical level many of us on this forum have come to, effective refinements will be system, room and tastes determined. Different system/room synergies may require different answers. But also, there are lots of tools that many agree on.

All Modified: Balanced Transformer-DIY Strip/Shunyata Defender-RevolutionMacMini/Amarra-KTE Singxer/Gustardx20pro-ZBIT-CSP3-OldChen 300B/845, Torii IV, Simple Wave 300B-HR1/SVS Micro3000sub-Pi PCs-DIY PCs, ICs, USB, I2S, Speaker-SR and aluminum w ball bearing feet
  IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #16 - 05/19/17 at 03:50:11

Wow, my eyes can't read that much at a time, nor my mind keep it. From what I did read, I do see your point. For myself, I accept experimentation just as that. If in fact it has a beneficial effect, then it stays. If an additional experiment shows even more improvement, I will still 'undo' the original experiment to compare the cumulative effects or synergy of the two experiments together.
 In the end, too many times I have not stopped before I realize that I have gone too far, and wonder if the bar was set right in the first place.

Decware 34I.3 integrated amp/Forte' 3 bass amp/Velodyne SMS-1 bass mngmnt system/Decware ZOB speakers/Audio Nirvana 8" bass drivers/Xiang Seng DAC/ LR Audio Computer/Rega Apollo R CDP/Emotiva ERC3 CDP/BPT 3.0 power cond.
  IP Logged
pursuitofnow
Seasoned Member

Reply #17 - 05/19/17 at 04:17:44

Will, thank you for a very thoughtful post. I found myself nodding at most everything stated. I'm happy with my current set up (room included) and looking to experiment to see what kind of nuanced or not tweaks I can do. Thanks for the recommendation regarding Alfred at high-end electronics. Trying them at a small cost seems the most logical.

---
ZR 3
  IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #18 - 05/19/17 at 11:38:32

Why does Quantum have to be beneficial ? It could just as easily be non-beneficial. Thats the beauty of it. It`ll shade one way or the other. Harnessing it to go your way is where the sceptics sit on the fence and watch both sides of the argument ( at once ?  8-) ).

Decware: Rachaels x 2 bridged, C. SP2+, ZP3, ZMC1, DHC-1 pw/cbl`s Michell Orbe + SME V + M.Benz LP s, Arcam CD33, Nakamichi LX5, Lowther acoustas DX2`s, WE 16g sp/cbl`s, Isotek mains substation, M & K subwoofer, Belden 8402 interconnects.
  IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #19 - 05/19/17 at 14:59:31

Oh, I was imagining that the Quantum referred to was something to do with actual quantum mechanics. I dont think so. Just a label saying quantum. The magnetic i/c couplers may well do something but thats magnets acting on electrons. Different ball game.

Decware: Rachaels x 2 bridged, C. SP2+, ZP3, ZMC1, DHC-1 pw/cbl`s Michell Orbe + SME V + M.Benz LP s, Arcam CD33, Nakamichi LX5, Lowther acoustas DX2`s, WE 16g sp/cbl`s, Isotek mains substation, M & K subwoofer, Belden 8402 interconnects.
  IP Logged
maddog07
Seasoned Member

seeker of truth

Reply #20 - 05/23/17 at 23:50:40

Wil strikes again with a theoretical opinion novel !!!  If word count equates to validity and fact – Wil wins every time on this forum.  I wish I had your free time Wil.  But if I did, I’d be listening to music and not trying to convince the masses that my opinion is “the right one”.  I’m poking you a bit here Wil… don’t take it too seriously.  
:)
But I would offer a different perspective for your consideration here on this topic.  

Here is something that IS NOT an opinion or a theory… the whole human auditory system is a perception involving many parts.  And it is an “individual perception” at that.  While we all share a similar “design” of our hearing mechanism, the shape of each person’s outer ear, their pinna, auditory canal, hammer/anvil, sensor hairs, tympanic membrane and cavity, cochlea, cochlear fluid, auditory nerve, etc., etc. and the most important part that ties it all together – your brain - are all slightly different.  Hell the amount of wax in your ear canal at any given point in time affects your hearing as can the amount of mucus in your sinuses.  Your head is a resonating chamber after all… yes each person’s head has a varying resonant frequency.  Don’t believe me… ask your ENT specialist.  Everybody perceives “sound” a little differently is my point.  And each individual doesn't always perceive sound exactly the same at all times depending on numerous internal and external variables.

Magnetic fields absolutely can affect audible frequencies… that is the basis of transformer function after all.  Anybody here remember the infamous ferrite/magnetic cable clamp tweaks that everybody was selling in the late 80’s/90’s?  I have a whole box of those leftover from that era.  These are just magnets you wrap around a cable. They almost always, to my ears (here’s that individual perception thing)  make a difference when you clamp them around your IC’s, PC’s, etc.  I have even purchased TV’s within the last few years that included these ferrite clamps in the power cords, both built into the cord and clamp on externally.  A quick goggle, shows these are still quite common and available from places such as Digikey, Mouser, etc. in varying sizes and current ratings.  These devices are passive and suppress high frequency noise.. a simple electronic choke.  For those of you with a Decware Torii, for one example, the inputs are “choke filtered” by a “transformer”… yes there is real science behind this idea of magnetics used to suppress noise in an electrical signal.  I suspect, speculate even, that the High Fidelity Cables Magnetic RCA Adapters have a similar “effect” on sound as the clamp on ferrite bead/chokes do.  I would recommend that anyone  who engages in taking these kinds of “high cost/perceived low value” tweaks for a spin, approach them with healthy skepticism and do so cautiously.  Preferably with a money-back trial period, hear in your own system, etc.

I am not an objectivist or a subjectivist.  I listen subjectively first – preferably with a friend helping me conduct A/B/X listening tests.  If I identify something as a subjectively positive difference, I then try to research/understand objectively how it could be responsible for what I hear.  I was in the beta tester group for the Decware Pills.  There are many who jump on these as VooDoo science, snake oil, magic dust, etc.  I will admit their impact, in my system, was subtle.  However, with the help of a friend, I was able to identify, in a statistically significant manner, when both the Silver and Gold Pills were present in my system.  They made a difference – to me.  Better?  Worse?  That is 100% subjective.

To further my point about hearing being an individual perception I offer the following experience.  I suspect many on this forum can relate as well.  I have an ever growing group of diverse audio pals, each with dramatically different audio systems.  We routinely gather for “tune sessions” at each other’s abodes, similar to the CDAPS lads on this forum.  And the most interesting thing I’ve gleaned from listening sessions with this group over the years, is that though each and every one of us can usually detect “differences” between components, cables, etc. and each of us actually describe the “difference” exactly the same way, we NEVER ALL agree which is “best”.  We tend to have varying “preferences”, slightly different “perceptions” of what is best, more real, blah, blah, blah.

Remember, if you “think” you hear something – NO one can tell you that you don’t (well they can, and there are many who will try – but trust your own ears/judgement).  And on the contrary, if you don’t/can’t hear something – nobody can tell you that you do.  Hearing is an individual perception.  Trust your own ears/hearing mechanism.  
You must ask yourself the following question: Does my music system exist to bring satisfaction to “me” – or am I trying to please everybody else?

Decware Torii MK3, Wyred4Sound DAC2, Theta Digital Miles, Emotiva XMC-1, Emotiva XPA-5, Aesthetix Calypso, Wyred STP-SE, Martin Logan Vista, Audio Nirvana 12" Alnico's, PS Audio PW P5, Goertz, Kimber, Nordost and DIY wires, PSA pwr cords, Cary SLI-80, DM945's.....
  IP Logged
Jeff1

Reply #21 - 05/24/17 at 02:42:58

So this would be my question or thinking about the magnetic effect. What is actually the signal moving through the cables? Electrons? If so does a magnet have an effect on an electron itself? Iron and steel are elements, molecules and compounds bound together which then can be attracted to magnets or magnetic fields. I can find magnetic information on waves such as radio waves but not on movement through wire. Anybody have anything?

PI Audio Uberbuss, Esoteric K05X, ELF gold Interconnect, TabooMK4,ZMF Silver Michanikos, ZMF Atrium Closed Back.
  IP Logged
pursuitofnow
Seasoned Member

Reply #22 - 05/24/17 at 03:48:27

Quote:
Here is something that IS NOT an opinion or a theory… the whole human auditory system is a perception involving many parts.  And it is an “individual perception” at that.  While we all share a similar “design” of our hearing mechanism, the shape of each person’s outer ear, their pinna, auditory canal, hammer/anvil, sensor hairs, tympanic membrane and cavity, cochlea, cochlear fluid, auditory nerve, etc., etc. and the most important part that ties it all together – your brain - are all slightly different.  Hell the amount of wax in your ear canal at any given point in time affects your hearing as can the amount of mucus in your sinuses.  Your head is a resonating chamber after all… yes each person’s head has a varying resonant frequency.  Don’t believe me… ask your ENT specialist.  Everybody perceives “sound” a little differently is my point.  And each individual doesn't always perceive sound exactly the same at all times depending on numerous internal and external variables.

Magnetic fields absolutely can affect audible frequencies… that is the basis of transformer function after all.  Anybody here remember the infamous ferrite/magnetic cable clamp tweaks that everybody was selling in the late 80’s/90’s?  I have a whole box of those leftover from that era.  These are just magnets you wrap around a cable. They almost always, to my ears (here’s that individual perception thing)  make a difference when you clamp them around your IC’s, PC’s, etc.  I have even purchased TV’s within the last few years that included these ferrite clamps in the power cords, both built into the cord and clamp on externally.  A quick goggle, shows these are still quite common and available from places such as Digikey, Mouser, etc. in varying sizes and current ratings.  These devices are passive and suppress high frequency noise.. a simple electronic choke.  For those of you with a Decware Torii, for one example, the inputs are “choke filtered” by a “transformer”… yes there is real science behind this idea of magnetics used to suppress noise in an electrical signal.  I suspect, speculate even, that the High Fidelity Cables Magnetic RCA Adapters have a similar “effect” on sound as the clamp on ferrite bead/chokes do.  I would recommend that anyone  who engages in taking these kinds of “high cost/perceived low value” tweaks for a spin, approach them with healthy skepticism and do so cautiously.  Preferably with a money-back trial period, hear in your own system, etc.

Thanks Maddog. I agree, hearing is a perception. I don't even think two people in the same room listening to a system hear it the same way.

I do believe without a doubt that there will be an audible difference with the magnetic adapters. Good? Bad? Harsh? Constrained? Who knows? I will have to trust my ears using them in my system. If and when I do, I will report back with how they sound to me in case others are wondering what effect they can have on a system.

---
ZR 3
  IP Logged
Jeff1

Reply #23 - 05/24/17 at 14:29:22

My question was not intended to dissuade you from the purchase.  The 6 paragraphs I have seen before regarding perception and listening philosophies and how our ears work etc are a given. Wondering about the science of how it works is different than if will you hear a difference or not. I use an UberBuss which is similar to reducing noise interference with ferrite and such. However the UberBuss and the wraps and clamps mentioned previously are passive. They are surrounding the cable. The adapters you are referring to seem to interrupt the connection. So is it really just a clamp redesigned  to give you the perception it is new and better? Or will it reduce the sonic improvements of you cable by placing more stuff in the path of the signal. Let us know what you find out when you try them.

PI Audio Uberbuss, Esoteric K05X, ELF gold Interconnect, TabooMK4,ZMF Silver Michanikos, ZMF Atrium Closed Back.
  IP Logged
pursuitofnow
Seasoned Member

Reply #24 - 05/24/17 at 15:11:02

Thanks Jeff. I generally try not to get into the science of audio. There are way too many other variables outside of the study that have an effect on sound and perception in my experience. In general, that is the reason I like to ask people (here and elsewhere) who may have real world experience to weigh in with their opinion. However, I will at some point try these out and report back. But it may be a while.

---
ZR 3
  IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #25 - 05/25/17 at 21:14:50

pursuitofnow,

If you have not seen the following thread, it may interest you. It discusses using magnets on transformers...a pretty inexpensive experiment. Mine are still in use.

https://www.decware.com/cgi-bin/yabb22/YaBB.pl?num=1459789812

All Modified: Balanced Transformer-DIY Strip/Shunyata Defender-RevolutionMacMini/Amarra-KTE Singxer/Gustardx20pro-ZBIT-CSP3-OldChen 300B/845, Torii IV, Simple Wave 300B-HR1/SVS Micro3000sub-Pi PCs-DIY PCs, ICs, USB, I2S, Speaker-SR and aluminum w ball bearing feet
  IP Logged
pursuitofnow
Seasoned Member

Reply #26 - 05/26/17 at 04:05:32

Quote:
If you have not seen the following thread, it may interest you. It discusses using magnets on transformers...a pretty inexpensive experiment. Mine are still in use.

https://www.decware.com/cgi-bin/yabb22/YaBB.pl?num=1459789812

Thanks Will, I had not seen that thread. Interesting stuff. I don't have any hum or buzz, but the smoothing and clarity attributes sound promising.

---
ZR 3
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #27 - 05/26/17 at 16:36:58

Huh, I completely missed that thread last year. Interesting concepts.

Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #28 - 06/02/17 at 22:12:37

Raven, do you remember who makes that coax that Rob had?  (you out there Rob?) They had magnetic RCAs I believe and the best I've heard.

I also heard a demo at Axpona by that same company and it was significant what their various magnetic cables could do for the sound.  

These two experiences lead me to believe that there is something to the whole magnet thing.  I haven't really pursued it, but the magnets on transformers thread is interesting.

i7 Mac Mini with LPSU/SSD running Audirvana 3.5, Uptone Audio Regen on LPSU, Mytek Brooklyn DAC+, Ven Haus DIY Silver ICs, 25th Ann. Zen, PS Audio P5 Power Supply, PS Audio Power Cords, GR Research Speaker Wire, DIY Big Betsy and Crystal 10 Open Baffle Speakers
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print