Seasoned Member

Tube be ... or not
tube be ... it's a
no-brainer.

Re: Betsys in Tigerwood
Reply #50 - 04/03/17 at 15:11:21

Quote:
I am hi-jacking this thread. Sorry, I
apologize. Originally just meant to answer the question about using Betsy in a baffle made for Hawthorne Audio speakers.

Me bad.

Hi Dave,

No worries .....

It's great to hear from old friends.
I'm just happy to know that a lot of folks are able to get close to their music using Betsy baffles and drivers without having to take out a second mortgage on their home.

After all, this hobby is about the enjoyment of music and the Decware forum has provided a HUGE contribution in this regard for many years.

Steve's original mission statement of "great sound for the sincere but broke music lover" is still very much alive on this forum.

Best wishes,
Randy

CEC TL5N belt drive CD transport
Cambridge Audio Azur 851N DAC / Streamer
Decware SE84UFO amplifier
Caintuck Audio Betsy Open Baffles
Caintuck Audio Lii Silver-10 Open Baffles
Caintuck Audio Lii 15 Open Bass Baffle
WWW   IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #51 - 04/03/17 at 15:39:07

hurdy_gurdyman wrote on 04/03/17 at 02:00:00:
Now, to see if I can post the two pics... Oh, did I mention I have lots of clutter, err, sound diffusers scattered around the room? Divorced for 5 years now, so itr tends to get a bit messy...

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b29/hurdy_gurdyman/Audio%20Hobby/Utah%20horn-B...

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b29/hurdy_gurdyman/Audio%20Hobby/Betsy-both-11...

Dave

Welcome back to posting Dave!

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
hurdy_gurdyman
Verified Member

Reply #52 - 04/03/17 at 16:07:51

Glad to be back, Lon. I haven't been doing much on any forum for close to seven years. It's time to put old problems behind and get back into my music passions again, including the forums.

Dave Smiley

The only thing that sounds prettier than a banjo is the sound of a cat getting a shampoo in a flushing toilet.
WWW   IP Logged
ProggRob
Seasoned Member

CDApS Member

Reply #53 - 04/03/17 at 18:22:30

Hurdy, welcome back to the forums.  I remember you from the Hawthorne forums when I participated there a few years ago.  I bought a pair of SSI Trios from Darrell, I recall you had a hand in designing the crossover.

Updates on my Betsy Baffles... I think they are pretty much done improving, near as I can tell.  I have spent a lot of time dialing in the bass and learning about how to operate my Rythmik A370PEQ plate amps.  Boy, these things are versatile and have been valuable in blending at the crossover point utilizing phase adjustments and in taming a spike at the 55hz region with some EQ.  Seems the bass is requiring more effort to get right than with my Hawthornes of old.  Everything is more noticeable with these!

Baetis Revolution II -> HFC CT-1E Digital Cable -> Denefrips Terminator -> Black Cat Setsuna XLR -> LTA Ultralinear Integrated -> Black Cat Setsuna SC -> Betsy Alnicos
Bass: 4x Hawthorne Augies w/ 2 Rythmik amps
Power: TWL 7+ and Digital, UberBUSS, Furutech Outl
  IP Logged
hurdy_gurdyman
Verified Member

Reply #54 - 04/03/17 at 18:39:45

I'm using the same Rythmik plate amp for my 15 Augies. I had to use the eq to cut at 60 Hz. These plate amps are incredible. I have mine crossed at about 90 Hz 4th order. Very clean transition from the Betsy driver to the Augie. I'll to fine tune after I build some baffles like Randy makes.

Dave Smiley

The only thing that sounds prettier than a banjo is the sound of a cat getting a shampoo in a flushing toilet.
WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print