Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/28/24 at 23:43:10 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Pro-Ject Measure it 2 help (Read 8083 times)
SonicSeeker
Seasoned Member

Listening to the
music not the
equipment

Pro-Ject Measure it 2 help
01/22/17 at 19:08:48

Does anyone have this measurement tool?
I received a simple digital measure gauge with the VPI Friday so I decided to compare the results and my Pro-Ject measures way different than the one sent by VPI by about .8 grams.
The Pro-Ject shows about  .7 grams when the vpi shows 1.5 grams. I also took out the little lever measurement tool that came with the cart and it is closer to the Pro-Ject but registers a little heavier reading than it.
So which one should I trust. Angry
When I set it up with the VPI tool it sounds a bit on the bright side.
When I set it up with the Pro-Ject it sounds much smoother and not as harsh, a little darker.

IP Logged
SonicSeeker
Seasoned Member

Listening to the
music not the
equipment

Re: Pro-Ject Measure it 2 help
Reply #1 - 01/22/17 at 19:29:19

So I compared the little lever tool and the Pro-Ject some more and they seem to read pretty close to each other.
The one issue I have had recently with my old table and now with my new table is the body of the cartridge rubs the label at the end of the album side when the cartridge is set to 1.5 grams with the Pro-Ject. This just started to happen in the last couple months I guess, and this is why I was questioning my measurement devices accuracy. I probably have about 300 to 500 hours on the stylus not sure.

IP Logged
SonicSeeker
Seasoned Member

Listening to the
music not the
equipment

Reply #2 - 01/22/17 at 19:30:22

Ortofon 2M Black

IP Logged
SonicSeeker
Seasoned Member

Listening to the
music not the
equipment

Reply #3 - 01/22/17 at 20:02:36

Not to keep adding here but 1.5 grams on the ortofon lever, .7 on the Pro-Ject 1.9 on the vpi tool.
Using my 5 gram weight both digital scales read 5 grams, come on!

IP Logged
JD
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 01/22/17 at 23:03:19

Not sure if this helps but on my Rega P6 I use a spacer(2mm i believe) under my arm because the Ortofon 2m Black is so large.

JD

IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 01/23/17 at 01:05:50

I'm confused as to what exactly the issue is?  Are you getting different readings on the different scales or not?  Changing the weight on the cart will affect the SRA which will affect the sound.  Is this what you are hearing?  (Anti-skate is another issue and one that might need fine tuning.)  Once you figure out the scale thing you can fine tune the SRA via tonearm height if that adjusts on your VPI.

You might need a smaller test weight since the scales could be non-linear and you need to know accuracy closer to the VTF you're looking for.

But maybe none of this is what you're asking?   Lips Sealed

ZLC
Technics 1200G TT w/ Ortofon Jubilee MC cart
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Homemade Big Betsy Speakers (F15s)
Silver Cabling
DIY Isolation platforms under amps & TT.
  IP Logged
hdrider
Seasoned Member

On the path with
Decware.

Reply #6 - 01/23/17 at 01:54:56

Sonic - I would reach out to VPI on Monday, but what about splitting the difference? How does that sound? Happy Listening, Chris.

CSP3, Rachael, ZP3, ZMC 1, Sony ES Bluray, Schitt Bitfrost DAC,Sota Star TT w/ FR-64, Hana SL Low Output Moving coil, Omega 7XRS Mk 2 walnut, DeepOmega 8 sub, Morrow Audio PH3 and MA3 IC's, Gamma Electrostatic phones.
  IP Logged
SonicSeeker
Seasoned Member

Listening to the
music not the
equipment

Reply #7 - 01/23/17 at 19:39:42

OK so the meter is bad, (Pro-Ject).
I looked up the weight of a cent, dime and nickel, and the inexpensive digital meter that came with the VPI reads accurately and the Pro-Ject is way off.
Problem solved.
So I have been running my stylus heavy for a while hope I did not damage it.

IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #8 - 01/24/17 at 18:09:04

Quote:
So I have been running my stylus heavy for a while hope I did not damage it.

I doubt you'd damage the cart but you may have been hearing things with an SRA different enough to notice.  Can you hear a difference?  If so, which do you prefer?

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #9 - 01/25/17 at 11:11:51

My digital gauge has 2 or 3 ranges. Gramms, ounces, and maybe another. It has 3 buttons : on/off, one to zero the calibration, one for unit of measurement.

Decware: Rachaels x 2 bridged, C. SP2+, ZP3, ZMC1, DHC-1 pw/cbl`s Michell Orbe + SME V + M.Benz LP s, Arcam CD33, Nakamichi LX5, Lowther acoustas DX2`s, WE 16g sp/cbl`s, Isotek mains substation, M & K subwoofer, Belden 8402 interconnects.
  IP Logged
SonicSeeker
Seasoned Member

Listening to the
music not the
equipment

Reply #10 - 01/26/17 at 17:48:17

I prefer it at the proper weight.
I checked to make sure it was set on grams every time I used it.

IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #11 - 01/26/17 at 19:06:44

Quote:
I prefer it at the proper weight.

Have you looked into SRA setup?  Sounds like Ortofon got your cart set up well from the factory.  (Just in case this is a new subject ...)  Contact line stylus need careful alignment to give their best.  Ideally, at the recommended VTF everything should be aligned.  I have an Ortofon Kontrapunkt b that I had to shim tail down to get things right since the cantilever was several degrees steeper than spec'd.  If the diamond is properly aligned with the cantilever, VTA can be used for proper set up and it's easier to see than the microscopic contact line of the stylus!  Changing VTF can significantly change SRA -- especially for high compliance carts (soft suspensions).

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print