Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/29/24 at 13:39:31 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Mini Torii with Vandersteen 2W subwoofer WX-2 XO (Read 5584 times)
danvprod
Verified Member

Mini Torii with Vandersteen 2W subwoofer WX-2 XO
01/10/17 at 19:03:58

I'm contemplating adding a Vandersteen 2W subwoofer into my single driver (dual DFR-8 per side in BR enclosure) speakers powered by the MT.

The WX-2 basically gets inserted between the source and the input of the MT and applies a 6 dB/octave HP @ 100Hz. Mains and subs are connected at speaker level in parallel at the amp.

My questions are --
1) Does anyone have any experience using a Vandersteen sub with a Decware amp?
2) The WX-2 requires the input impedance of the amp to be known and set via DIP switches. What's the input impedance of the MT? I can't seem to find this listed anywhere.

This seems to be a pretty good way to augment the lowest octaves of the audio spectrum, while at the same time taking the LF energy load off the MT and my speakers without having to resort to a DSP-based solution.

Only problem I see is that the XO would only work with one of my sources (I have a Raspberry PI-based streaming system for digital and vinyl).

CSP2+?? Smiley

TIA

IP Logged
pursuitofnow
Seasoned Member

Re: Mini Torii with Vandersteen 2W subwoofer WX-2 XO
Reply #1 - 01/10/17 at 19:41:37

I haven't tried the Vandersteen but I can recommend the Omega deep 8 sub. http://omegaloudspeakers.com/deepomega8.html

No need for a XO, just run speaker cables from main amp to the sub. I absolutely love mine. It's a front firing not a down firing like in the link. Louis will build you what you want.

VPI Classic Signature | Koetsu Urushi Black | Bob's Sky 20 | ZP3 | Swiss Digital Fuse Box
DirectStream DAC (APS nickel transformers, Vocm mod)
ZTPRE | ZBIT | ZROCK2 | SE84UFO3
Omega Super 3 HO XRS | Deep 8
Zenwave D4 | PCR-11 | PI Audio Uberbuss
---
ZR 3
  IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 01/10/17 at 19:49:45

I use an older model of Omega Loudspeaker's sub.  It is very easy to setup and integrate.  You should read about it.  Lots of impressions on their forum on Audiocircle. In the recent past they also sold a sub with a 15" driver.  You could probably pick one up used or have Luis make one for you. Mark.

PS...LOL...like minds and all that Smiley
PSS...It may have been a 12" not a 15" as stated above...regardless, it's not offered now and would have to be a custom job...

http://omegaloudspeakers.com/deepomega8.html

"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with the concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, deceptions, and spoils;
The motions of his spirit are dull as night and his affections dark as Hell. Let no such man be trusted." William Shakespeare
  IP Logged
danvprod
Verified Member

Reply #3 - 01/11/17 at 14:37:18

Thanks folks. I'll check out the Omega sub too. I have a Vandy 2W that is available locally for a pretty good price, which is why I was interested in checking that out.

IP Logged
Matchstikman
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 01/11/17 at 15:19:41

That Vandy sub is a very, very nice sub.  It was on a short list of mine years ago.  But, from what I read, it required a bit of setup before it worked out.  I've not heard the Omega, which was also on the short list, along with Rel, but I think any of these subs would do a great job.

If it were me and I had a chance to get a Vandy at a good price I would jump on it because, as I said, I always wanted one.

I doubt that helped, but I had to throw in my 2 cents.

IP Logged
danvprod
Verified Member

Reply #5 - 01/11/17 at 21:53:59

I went ahead and jumped on the used 2W. Still looking for the input impedance of the Mini Torii so I can set the jumper appropriately on the WX-2.

I noticed on the Torii mk III manual, the input impedance is 100k Ohm. Does anyone know if this is the same for the MT?

Per the Vandy 2W manual, I'm going to start by setting the WX-2 to 50k (under the assumption that the MT is 100k).

The last thing I am worried about is the sensitivity adjustment on the Vandy 2W. Seems to top out at 94 dB and my DFR-8s are 96 or so. I'll let everyone know my impressions later tonight after I get it all hooked up!

IP Logged
danvprod
Verified Member

Reply #6 - 01/16/17 at 02:38:24

Sample of the setup up and running with stereo Vandersteen 2W subs: https://youtu.be/vcL_uHQiT0o

IP Logged
danvprod
Verified Member

Reply #7 - 01/16/17 at 15:18:34

Quick measurements (listening position, un-gated, 1/12 octave smoothing...) with and without the subwoofer in (note the without subwoofer still has the WX-2 in the signal path, which is causing the LF to roll off at 100 Hz 6 dB/Octave.

SubVnoSub.jpg
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print