04/16/24 at 18:12:39 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
DM947 ID help? (Read 5361 times)
Tripwr1964
Seasoned Member

DM947 ID help?
01/07/17 at 16:56:44

bought some speakers last week and trying to determine what i have so that i can work on making them sound better in my current system.
they are way too bright and harsh using my odyssey ss mono amps.

they have claritycap px3.3uf caps, 4ohm marked on driver, and plastic thingy in place of the driver dust cap.

so are these dm946's, 4ohm, with midrange upgrade?

CSP3 25yr, CAD 120s MKII, Sunfire Signature600, Sota Star Sapphire, SME309, Hana SL, JC3+, Schiit bifrost multibit, CXC, MG1.6QR w/ ext xo & mye stands, OB Augies. herbies iso, VH audio flavor diy pwr cords, Beden 8402 & Dueland IC's,
  IP Logged
Jeff of Arabica
Seasoned Member

Name the greatest of
all inventors...
Accident.

Re: DM947 ID help?
Reply #1 - 01/08/17 at 00:48:46

Having the DM946's, I can say that the plastic thingy is the phase guide, aka "Midrange Upgrade."  My pair was purchased about a year about and I believe my phase guide is aluminum.  May just be an earlier design on your set.  

I think you are safe to assume 4 Ohm, but I can't help with the cap question.  Sorry.  

It may be that the mid-range upgrade is creating an intense mid to high frequency shout with your particular amp and room characteristics.

Canary Audio Grand Reference Monos//ZMA//Zen Ultra//Taboo MKIII//Waversa DAC3//ModWright Oppo UDP-205// PS Audio P20//Canary Audio MC-10//Van den Hul Colibri "Stradivarius"//FFYX T1803 TT//SonoruS Reel-to-Reel & tube playback preamp//Tannoy Westminster Speakers
  IP Logged
MyBlueSky
Verified Member

An honest tune with
a lingering lead

Re: DM947 ID help?
Reply #2 - 06/18/19 at 01:43:12

I’ll agree with Jeff. I purchased the 946’s and monolith bases over the winter. They’re in a good sounding room but I definitely experienced some shout that got worse as volume increased.
The unmodified, rather inexpensive drivers can be found here.https://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com/approx-8-woofers/silver-flute-w20rc38-04-o...

I switched them out and and am now fully enjoying my monoliths.

Thanks to Jeff for originally posting the link to Madisound

Torii mk lV, CSP3, Z Rock 2, Z Box, Nelson Pass Amp Camp Amp, RME ADI 2, Denafrips Venus II, Music Hall mmf 7.3, AVA Vision Q phonostage, Sumiko Bluepoint Evo, Panasonic DP-UP 9000, 947 Monoliths, Zu Omen DW mk2, Omega Super 3 HO monitors, Zen silver RCA
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print