Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/29/24 at 10:57:59 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Intermittent left channel issues (Read 4048 times)
Rraymond
Seasoned Member

Intermittent left channel issues
01/05/17 at 19:42:01

I've had problems a couple times with 2 different albums where there's no output from the left channel. Everything I have is pretty much new. The first time it happened I think it was out for like 10 minutes. I thought something didn't sound right so I listened to each speaker and even though the left had a small hum but no music. I raised the TT arm and cleaned the stylus and tried different spots on the LP and all of a sudden it came back on.
I've checked all connections between the phono/amp etc and they are tight. Also wiggled all the tubes and it didn't show any crackling while moving them. So I thought it may be that particular album but it happened again today on another album. Only lasted for about 10-15 seconds and then I heard some scratchy noise briefly then the left channel stared working. I have cleaned every record I own including brand new ones before I play them with my VPI cleaner machine and the solution so I don't think I've gummed up the stylus. I do clean the stylus regularly with Mofi Lp9 stylus cleaner or use ZeroDust cleaner in between albums.
Any ideas?
Rick

Audion Silver Night Special Edition 300b integrated, Zu Soul Superfly speakers, Acoustic Solid TT with Denon 103 MC cart, PS Audio NuWave phono, Zu Event MKII speaker cables with BU3 connectors.
  IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Re: Intermittent left channel issues
Reply #1 - 01/05/17 at 19:51:08

Unless the cart is defective I can't see this related to the pickup.  Cleaning might help clean up one channel but I can't see how dirt would cause one channel to drop out entirely.  Do you have a second cart to try?

Check your connections at the back of the cart and maybe switch channels going into the phono stage and/or out of the phono stage to isolate the fault.  My guess is a phono stage issue.   Embarrassed

ZLC
Technics 1200G TT w/ Ortofon Jubilee MC cart
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Homemade Big Betsy Speakers (F15s)
Silver Cabling
DIY Isolation platforms under amps & TT.
  IP Logged
Rraymond
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 01/05/17 at 20:03:08

Archie,
I checked the wires going to the cartridge and 1 was pretty loose and only halfway on the pin of the cartridge. I tightened it a bit by squeezing the female connector between my fingernails. It's much tighter now so I'm thinking that may have been it. We will see if it clears it up.

Thanks,
Rick

Audion Silver Night Special Edition 300b integrated, Zu Soul Superfly speakers, Acoustic Solid TT with Denon 103 MC cart, PS Audio NuWave phono, Zu Event MKII speaker cables with BU3 connectors.
  IP Logged
hdrider
Seasoned Member

On the path with
Decware.

Reply #3 - 01/05/17 at 21:14:56

Raymond- I think you found your problem. Play that album again and bet you a buck that you have both channels. I find that with stuff like this starting at the front end and working to the back usually works best. Happy listening, Chris.

CSP3, Rachael, ZP3, ZMC 1, Sony ES Bluray, Schitt Bitfrost DAC,Sota Star TT w/ FR-64, Hana SL Low Output Moving coil, Omega 7XRS Mk 2 walnut, DeepOmega 8 sub, Morrow Audio PH3 and MA3 IC's, Gamma Electrostatic phones.
  IP Logged
Rraymond
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 01/05/17 at 21:21:51

Yep, apparently the white wire goes to the left channel positive side. The rest of the connections are not as loose but seem to be barely tight enough. Maybe I'll take time to tighten them down the road during my next cartridge change.
Rick

IP Logged
hdrider
Seasoned Member

On the path with
Decware.

Reply #5 - 01/05/17 at 21:27:31

Raymond - I would GENTLY take each one off one at a time and give them a very small squeeze with some fine needle nose pliers and the reconnect to the back of the cartridge...if it's not good coming off the cart it won't be good down the road. Happy listening, Chris.

CSP3, Rachael, ZP3, ZMC 1, Sony ES Bluray, Schitt Bitfrost DAC,Sota Star TT w/ FR-64, Hana SL Low Output Moving coil, Omega 7XRS Mk 2 walnut, DeepOmega 8 sub, Morrow Audio PH3 and MA3 IC's, Gamma Electrostatic phones.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print