Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/18/24 at 09:33:13 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Completed DIY Zen se84cs/zs (Read 6562 times)
itseattlewa
Verified Member

Completed DIY Zen se84cs/zs
12/27/16 at 21:42:59

Recently completed a DIY Zen se84cs/se84zs clone.

Decware no longer provides DIY pt-to-pt kits so I built this from scratch.  

I am happy that this Zen clone worked on first power up and voltages are in keeping with expected values. The output transformers are GXSE15-10K-6ohm with XPWR178 power transformer. I struggled with parts selection including choosing transformers, but the unit seems to be working fine.

Originally I was going to mount the output transformers inside the case as I wanted to emulate the clean Zen look, but mounting on top proved far easier.  I wanted all top mounted input/outputs as I might put a wood frame around the case eventually.

I am running Fostex FE206EN and my next project is double bass enclosures.

All in all a success, except it seems I cannot bridge the amp into mono as the outputs are not floating. At least when I bridge into mono into a single speaker it doesn't seem like I am getting 5 watts or a significant increase in power.  Any comments on this issue would be welcome.

zen1.JPG
  IP Logged
itseattlewa
Verified Member

Re: Completed DIY Zen se84cs/zs
Reply #1 - 12/27/16 at 21:47:08

Another pic.

zen4.jpg
  IP Logged
itseattlewa
Verified Member

Reply #2 - 12/27/16 at 21:49:22

Another pic.

zen3.JPG
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #3 - 01/02/17 at 20:38:28

Looks great!

I have a kit off bought off ProgRob - I'm not even sure what all is in there, but it's one of the older circuit board kits.

Maybe I'll have time later this winter...and hopefully looks as good as yours!

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
Lin
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 01/02/17 at 22:11:47

Nice looking build. Cool
Curious why you didn't turn the chassis and put the transformers in a row along the back?

IP Logged
itseattlewa
Verified Member

Reply #5 - 01/02/17 at 23:24:55

I did consider horizontal with all transformers along the back, which would have looked good.

I was originally trying for a classic zen look with the output transformers mounted underneath, and I laid out the parts and cut the openings with that intention. But these OTs were too large to do that easily, so luckily mounting them on top worked out.

I relied heavily on the excellent 12 part build video showing the construction of a classic zen amp and wanted the layout similar to make the build easier. I laid out the components so that I could follow the build steps and sequences outlined in the video, which I did.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print