Send Topic Print
So, it's about 6:15am (Read 4428 times)
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

So, it's about 6:15am
12/26/16 at 12:26:44

It's about 6:15am. I'm listening to Bon Iver. I've been up listening since about 1am.

I picked up a pair of Betsy speakers - Randy's OBs really impressed me at the last Decfest, it was really the first time OBs made me go "I need to hear these in *my* setup"  I've had the drivers since the first week of December, but only tonight got a chance to drop them in some quick and dirty open baffles...literally just some 3/4" MDF cut out to 24" x 24" with the driver counter-sunk flush on the baffle and screwed down. Cheap ass lamp cord type wire that I quickly crimped spades on one end, banana plugs on the other, connected to my ZMA.

4-5 hours goes by and I just keep clicking through my music.

I've got this huge wall of sound. The music just jumps into the room. I've not measured out placement...I didn't even match the angle of the baffles, I just leaned them up against my MG944, first on the inside of them, and now on the outside of them. HUGE, room filling sound.

From the first note my ears perked up, but then I was like...meh, no high end extension and weak bass...then little by little, it all come out. The ZMA does it's thing where as it warms up it gathers up steam and goes from a trot to a gallop, and the speakers warm up, break-in, bloom...whatever.

I'm really enjoying this. But man I need sleep.

Photos to come later.  

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Re: So, it's about 6:15am
Reply #1 - 12/26/16 at 14:03:16

It sounds like you have been assimilated into the OB Collective!

Owner of the infamous RED TORII and Dan the Redheaded Amp
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #2 - 12/27/16 at 06:26:21

These are the first OB drivers that caught my attention, that don't make me cringe with a single driver honk, or wizzer sibilance.

They aren't perfect, but they are way worth the money.

I'm fooling around with them right now. Balancing them precariously on my HT speakers, watching them shake themselves loose and almost fall with some heavy bass hits. LOL.

OK, Back on the floor.

Next up...some 18" woofers in sealed 24" cube boxes to suppliment the bottom end of these OBs (and pretty much anything else! LOL
I've had these sitting in the box, unopened for like 4 years now. It's about time I get them built.

Tripwr1964
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 12/27/16 at 17:19:28

looks like LR is on a mission!.... Smiley

get any sleep yet?

CSP3 25yr, CAD 120s MKII, Sunfire Signature600, Sota Star Sapphire, SME309, Hana SL, JC3+, Schiit bifrost multibit, CXC, MG1.6QR w/ ext xo & mye stands, OB Augies. herbies iso, VH audio flavor diy pwr cords, Beden 8402 & Dueland IC's,
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #4 - 12/27/16 at 20:58:07

I sleep only 3-5 hours a day most of the time. My sleep schedule is all messed up since I'm off this week. So I actually got caught up last night and got a whopping 7 hours!

maddog07
Seasoned Member

seeker of truth

Reply #5 - 12/28/16 at 17:40:42

you don't need "boxes" for bass for the Betsy's.  I have two digital drive Velodyne subs from the HT.... and I prefer my 15" Hawthorne Augie's in open baffles with any of my OB's, including my Betsy's.....

welcome to the OB club|  ... I knew you'd arrive here eventually... once heard - resistance is futile..!!!

Decware Torii MK3, Wyred4Sound DAC2, Theta Digital Miles, Emotiva XMC-1, Emotiva XPA-5, Aesthetix Calypso, Wyred STP-SE, Martin Logan Vista, Audio Nirvana 12" Alnico's, PS Audio PW P5, Goertz, Kimber, Nordost and DIY wires, PSA pwr cords, Cary SLI-80, DM945's.....
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print