Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/19/24 at 19:36:41 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
faint "hissing" just started; please help diagnose (Read 6692 times)
astro-chris
Seasoned Member

faint "hissing" just started; please help diagnose
12/04/16 at 22:01:45

Hi all,
Since I'm a tube newbie, I figured this is the best place to ask a question about something I observed. Last night at the end of an extended listening session, I got up to shut things down for the night, and noticed there is a faint "hissing" sound coming from the tweeter of my right speaker (since purchasing my Torii Mk III, my speakers have been pretty much dead silent, even if I put my ear right up to them (in contrast to with my former solid state amp...).  I checked the left speaker and it is still dead silent.  Is this reason for concern?  The sound is still glorious, so I'm guessing it can't be anything too serious.  Does this, perhaps, mean one of the tubes may be slightly "off"/ready to be changed?  If so, how would I diagnose which one is the culprit?
Thanks so much

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Re: faint "hissing" just started; please help diagnose
Reply #1 - 12/04/16 at 22:50:15

One thing you can do is swap the tubes left and right, and see if the sound follows the tube swap. . . . That would indicate it may well be the tube on the side where the noise is.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
astro-chris
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 12/04/16 at 22:52:27

Hi Lon,
Thanks!  Any suggestion which tube (input, rectifier, etc.) is most likely to be the culprit?
Thanks,
Chris

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #3 - 12/04/16 at 22:56:25

I'd start with input tubes, they generally are the "hissiest" prone in my experience, then perhaps after that the rectifiers. . . .

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Ace-Tone
Seasoned Member

8+ years with
Decware gear and
Loving it!!!

Reply #4 - 12/05/16 at 16:25:43

Just a FYI. (I have a Zen SE84CKC) I had a left channel suddenly go out. Checked cables. switched power tubes.
it turned out to be the input tube. If it doesn't affect the sound I wouldn't worry. But knowing where the guilt lies might help when it gets to be time to fix it.

SE84UFO25, ZP3, Zstage, ZR2, ZSB, DM947, HERESY iii
VPI-Traveler2 +SS Zephyr MKIIIes.
Cambridge CXC. Schiit Bimby DAC
IC's Audio Envy, Decware, RAC-PC's, Mapleshade Dbl Helix+Spkr wires & jumpers
Blue Circle PLC FX2X0e, Herbies, GIK, PI Audio DIY treatment
  IP Logged
astro-chris
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 12/05/16 at 16:35:39

Hi Steve, Lon, and acetone,
Thanks for the info; I'll start by swapping the input tubes and see what that does to things Smiley
Best,
Chris

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print