Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/16/24 at 20:23:44 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Pairing a Zstage with a Tascam 240 (Read 7357 times)
Dominick
Seasoned Member

Still like that old
time Rock and Roll!!

Pairing a Zstage with a Tascam 240
10/12/16 at 06:14:02

Everyone,

While I would like to buy the Decware ZCD-240... I am considering to just buy the regular Tascam 240 and add my Zstage to up the voltage.  

I know ZCD-240 is variable up to 7.75 volts along with the addition of the silver RCA outputs.  

With the Zstage being variable from 0-5 volts max, do you think there would be any difference if I ran the Zstage/Tascam240 setup versus just buying the Decware ZCD-240?  

Is the Decware ZCD-240 basically a Regular Tascam 240 with a Zstage mounted inside?

Is the extra 2.75 volts of the ZCS-240 worth the price, if I already have the Zstage to utilize?  

I currently run a SS amp which will be be eventually replaced by either a Torii MKIV, or the Mystery Amp down the line.  

My ZStage also has the upgraded beeswax caps running the 12AU7 tube, and I have to say that it did wonders when I added it to my iPod/iPad setup.  

Just looking for advice on the rate of return with my scenario.  If I can save like 800 bucks by just buying the regular Tascam240 and utilizing my Zstage, then that $$$ can be used towards to purchase of my future Decware Amp.  

Any input would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks in advance!  

Dom

Rasp. Pi 4 [Roon], Schiit Bifrost True Multibit DAC, ZBIT, ZROCK2, My Audio Cables Ultra Silver+, ZSB, CSP2+ 25th, DAG Cables, DHC1, Torii MKIV 25th /2 White Zen SE84C+ 25th mono’s, Rega P2 Turntable,Rega Fono MK5, Velodyne Dual Firing Sub, ERR’s [Bubbinga Wood]
  IP Logged
maddog07
Seasoned Member

seeker of truth

Re: Pairing a Zstage with a Tascam 240
Reply #1 - 10/12/16 at 22:49:01

the Decware modified cd-240 uses transformer coupled output stages to achieve "gain" I believe, where as the zstage is a vacuum tube based device.  They are not the same.  

As to the difference in sound between a stock cd-240 and zstage .vs. the zcd-240 - I could not comment as I have only heard the ZCD-240.  But the two are "different".

I'm sure the Zenmaster himself could provide insight into the sonic differences between the two configurations you mention.  I could "predict" or speculate the differences I would expect to hear, based on past experience with tube .vs. transformer circuitry, if I where able to conduct such an A/B... but at this point it would only be "speculation" and "opinion" at the very best.

Decware Torii MK3, Wyred4Sound DAC2, Theta Digital Miles, Emotiva XMC-1, Emotiva XPA-5, Aesthetix Calypso, Wyred STP-SE, Martin Logan Vista, Audio Nirvana 12" Alnico's, PS Audio PW P5, Goertz, Kimber, Nordost and DIY wires, PSA pwr cords, Cary SLI-80, DM945's.....
  IP Logged
Tripwr1964
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 10/12/16 at 23:02:56

think you want a cd-240 with a Zbit to get you close.

CSP3 25yr, CAD 120s MKII, Sunfire Signature600, Sota Star Sapphire, SME309, Hana SL, JC3+, Schiit bifrost multibit, CXC, MG1.6QR w/ ext xo & mye stands, OB Augies. herbies iso, VH audio flavor diy pwr cords, Beden 8402 & Dueland IC's,
  IP Logged
maddog07
Seasoned Member

seeker of truth

Reply #3 - 10/12/16 at 23:12:36

the ZBIT does give you transformers to convert XLR output of the cd-240 to single-ended on your amp, which is essentially what's going on inside the ZCD-240 I believe.

This is exactly how the setup on the east end of the room was configured at Zenfest.  In the shop side of the room, the ZCD-240's digital output(SPDIF) was fed into the ZDSD, the balanced outs of the ZDSD into the ZTPRE and then long XLR cables were run into the room from the ZTPRE into a ZBIT positioned close to the amps, and the output of the ZBIT fed the single-ended inputs on all the amps.  I don't think anybody would argue that the sound was anything but superb.  Late Saturday/early Sunday a few of us did some listening of configurations of our own(different amps and speakers with the fest front end), and the sounds was stellar any way we sliced it.

Decware Torii MK3, Wyred4Sound DAC2, Theta Digital Miles, Emotiva XMC-1, Emotiva XPA-5, Aesthetix Calypso, Wyred STP-SE, Martin Logan Vista, Audio Nirvana 12" Alnico's, PS Audio PW P5, Goertz, Kimber, Nordost and DIY wires, PSA pwr cords, Cary SLI-80, DM945's.....
  IP Logged
Dominick
Seasoned Member

Still like that old
time Rock and Roll!!

Reply #4 - 10/13/16 at 00:28:18

Thanks Maddog07 for your input.  Yeah....I kinda figured that there  will be a sonic difference, esp. since the ZCD is doing everything internally, whereas the otherway I am adding another input source into the signal path.  

I guess the non limiting factor is with me dealing with an older Yamaha SS amp, and any added sonic benefit of the 12AU7  tube may be cancelled out.  

I know this is all speculation at this point.  I'm just trying to make due with what I have, and get the best bang for the buck.  Like I had mentioned...the added savings can be put towards my future amp, and/or adding some options like the V-caps and the stepped attenuator when I configure it.

Rasp. Pi 4 [Roon], Schiit Bifrost True Multibit DAC, ZBIT, ZROCK2, My Audio Cables Ultra Silver+, ZSB, CSP2+ 25th, DAG Cables, DHC1, Torii MKIV 25th /2 White Zen SE84C+ 25th mono’s, Rega P2 Turntable,Rega Fono MK5, Velodyne Dual Firing Sub, ERR’s [Bubbinga Wood]
  IP Logged
Tripwr1964
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 10/13/16 at 12:32:25

or you can get a cd-200 and a nice dac (then you can plug other things into it, i.e. music player/server).

i rarely play cds any more since i've gone to a player/server.

you can do them cheap too.  i've built about 4 now that very in price.  all have no fans (except the nuc), external psu's, and no hard drive.  os is is loaded and booted from usd stick.

cheapest to most expensive:
1) raspberry pi with dac +, volumino os (for sale if you want it)
2) intel nuc with schiit modi dac, daphile os
3) mini box with itx mb (fanless), pico psu, schiit bifrost mb dac, daphile os.

get a good ripping program too.  i like DBpoweramp.  it checks for errors!

#3 is what i use in my 2ch rig for last 2.5 years and has worked flawless, and more importantly sounds fantastic.

really depends on what you want to do.

CSP3 25yr, CAD 120s MKII, Sunfire Signature600, Sota Star Sapphire, SME309, Hana SL, JC3+, Schiit bifrost multibit, CXC, MG1.6QR w/ ext xo & mye stands, OB Augies. herbies iso, VH audio flavor diy pwr cords, Beden 8402 & Dueland IC's,
  IP Logged
Dominick
Seasoned Member

Still like that old
time Rock and Roll!!

Reply #6 - 10/13/16 at 14:40:34

Tripwr1964 ......thanks.

I specifically wanted the 240 since it has the XLR inputs, and more importantly it has the Ethernet network connection.  I plan to run this into my computer and use my PC as a music server.  

For ripping I use XLD audio ripper.  I rip each disc in 2 formats....FLAC and AIFF-C simultaneously, one for playback, and one for archiving.  It checks for errors and also gives you a detailed report of the rip.  I use Audirvana Plus for my interface on my MAC.  

I currently have modest 5 TB of music on my computer, but I still like pulling out a physical disc and playing something tangible..it gives you more of a connection to the music...hence its whyi viny has seen an insurgence in sales.  

Yeah..l am leaning towards either the Peachtree Audio or Shiit DAC.  The Schiit Gunghir  is what I want, but I may just get the Bitfrost for now.  Still deciding at this point....thanks again for your input and advice.

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #7 - 10/14/16 at 14:05:18

Bang for the Buck the 240 is a great piece of kit for us digital/computer audiophiles. I'm tempted to get one for a second system I'm setting up in a soon to be cleared out spare bedroom. The 240 sounds better than it's price tag, and the balanced outs are fantastic if you have an amp (or converter) that accepts them.

The only thing I don't like is how clunky the interface is.

Oh! I also read recently that there is a Firmware update that's supposed to improve the gapless playback - FYI for those of you that already have one.

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
Dominick
Seasoned Member

Still like that old
time Rock and Roll!!

Reply #8 - 10/14/16 at 16:50:58

Lonely Raven....thanks !!  I read the specs/features on the 240 and it has a lot under the under the hood.  I guess that's probably why Steve picked that specific model to modify.  

Yes....that interface is clunky....but I have seen worse!  I think the balanced outputs are what really makes the unit attractive at this price point.  

Also.....for all of you who like the whole Bluetooth / headphone thing....I acquired this product a while back called the Teleme2. It's a SPDIF to BT converter.

http://telme2.com/tosblue-the-super-TV-sound-you-can-afford.html

I mainly use it to listen to my television via BT headphone.  It has no time delay and uses APTX codec... so watching an action video produces excellent audio.  It has an optical as well as line inputs....and its powered by a USB port.  While it's meant for TV's, you can use it for regular audio playback.  I plan to run that off of my Tascam with the SPDIF output when I want to listen to my music late at night and not wakes the kids.    It's a neat little device and works extremely well.  

IP Logged
Corey
Seasoned Member

Reply #9 - 10/15/16 at 14:25:22

Get ZBox instead. Better sound with digital.

You don't need gain with the 240!

Corey  :)

WWW   IP Logged
Dominick
Seasoned Member

Still like that old
time Rock and Roll!!

Reply #10 - 10/15/16 at 16:50:12

Thanks Corey.  The Zstage I already own, hence the reason for wanting to use it.    At the time when I bought it...I had to make the decision between the the Zbox and the Zstage.  Steve helped me decide on the Zstage since I was going to use it in conjunction with my IPod/IPad.

If I keep the ZStage in the 12 o'clock position...its neutral...no gain added or taken away.

IP Logged
Corey
Seasoned Member

Reply #11 - 10/15/16 at 23:34:52

Modify it then. Go with Shinkoh Tant's or Riken Ohm resistors and Mundorf Silver/Oil caps.  Enjoy making your music sound better!

Corey

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print