04/25/24 at 18:05:09 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Got PRaT?? (Read 9030 times)
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Got PRaT??
09/26/16 at 02:03:11

I am assembling my music for Zenfest and trying to categorize various cuts for testing.  I am stoked that Steve has some subwoofer / corner horns going.  One of my playlists is "deep bass".

In addition to deep bass, I have "female vocal", "sense of room" and "soundstage" playlists going.  I am looking for some good songs to showcase PRaT.  Just the other day I heard a good song for thing by Jerry Harrison (Talking Heads) called "Rev it up".  Way 80's but it has a good driving beat.

Anybody got some good toe tappers?

i7 Mac Mini with LPSU/SSD running Audirvana 3.5, Uptone Audio Regen on LPSU, Mytek Brooklyn DAC+, Ven Haus DIY Silver ICs, 25th Ann. Zen, PS Audio P5 Power Supply, PS Audio Power Cords, GR Research Speaker Wire, DIY Big Betsy and Crystal 10 Open Baffle Speakers
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Re: Got PRaT??
Reply #1 - 09/26/16 at 18:30:00

I'm feeling like a slacker...besides not really having much time to listen this year, I definitely haven't really "discovered" any music to add/replace in my demo tracks. I may show up with my tired old tracks, or just live vicariously through yours.  ;)

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 09/27/16 at 09:10:58

Lonely Raven wrote on 09/26/16 at 18:30:00:
I'm feeling like a slacker...besides not really having much time to listen this year, I definitely haven't really "discovered" any music to add/replace in my demo tracks. I may show up with my tired old tracks, or just live vicariously through yours.  ;)

Here's a few that are mastered really well IMO ...

Somewhat newer releases:
Lana Del Rey - Honeymoon (24bit HDTracks)
Lucinda Williams - Down Where The Spirit Meets The Bone (24bit HDTracks)
Steven Wilson - Hand. Cannot. Erase (24bit HDTracks)
David Gilmore - Rattle That Lock (24bit HDTracks)
Alabama Shakes - Sound & Color (24bit HDTracks)

Older releases, but I think the mastering is outstanding on some of these:

The Rolling Stones - Let It Bleed (ABKCO DSD)
T.Rex - Electric Warrior (24bit HDTracks)
David Bowie - Bowie At The Beeb (CD) there is a great rendition of Space Oddity and cover of The Velvet Underground's Waiting for the Man.
Alice Cooper - Billion Dollar Babies (SACD or DSD Mastered by Steve Hoffman) this is probably one of the best I've ever heard from Hoffman.

Try checking some of those out.

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 09/27/16 at 11:58:50

Thanks Beo,

I have or Raven has several of those.  All of them sound like great recordings.  Any tracks that you feel are good PRaT test tracks?

i7 Mac Mini with LPSU/SSD running Audirvana 3.5, Uptone Audio Regen on LPSU, Mytek Brooklyn DAC+, Ven Haus DIY Silver ICs, 25th Ann. Zen, PS Audio P5 Power Supply, PS Audio Power Cords, GR Research Speaker Wire, DIY Big Betsy and Crystal 10 Open Baffle Speakers
  IP Logged
DB2

Reply #4 - 09/27/16 at 13:10:20

If you do downloads, check out Commotus by Lucretia Dalt.
www.audiostream.com/content/download-week-lucrecia-dalt#YMbpDXrbiROqY2p6.97

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #5 - 09/27/16 at 13:29:04

I use this session to differentiate percussion and the integration into a beat . . . i.e. PRAT. . . . Really nice music too imo.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inventions_and_Dimensions

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #6 - 09/27/16 at 13:40:20

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #7 - 09/27/16 at 13:56:02

Nice!

Thanks for the suggestions.

IP Logged
DB2

Reply #8 - 09/27/16 at 19:40:40

Also check out Uberjam (and Uberjam Deux) by John Schofield.

IP Logged
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #9 - 09/27/16 at 20:33:52

Palomino wrote on 09/27/16 at 11:58:50:
Thanks Beo,

I have or Raven has several of those.  All of them sound like great recordings.  Any tracks that you feel are good PRaT test tracks?

Hmm, lets see ...

Lana Del Rey - Honeymoon ... title track "Honeymoon" and "High By The Beach"  

This whole album is pretty cool and seems like it's not of this time period. I heard her coin a term called "Sad Core" and that sums it up pretty good ... sounds like it could be a James Bond movie soundtrack (Sean Connery era) and/or from Hollywood's golden years.

Steven Wilson - Hand. Cannot. Erase "Home Invasion"

David Gilmore - Rattle That Lock ...  "5 A.M." and title track "Rattle That Lock"

Alabama Shakes - Sound & Color ... "Don't Wanna Fight" and "Gemini"

The Rolling Stones - Let It Bleed ... "Gimme Shelter" and "Monkey Man"

T.Rex - Electric Warrior ... "Mambo Sun" and "Jeepster"

David Bowie - Bowie At The Beeb ... there is a great rendition of "Space Oddity" and cover of The Velvet Underground's "Waiting for the Man"

Alice Cooper - Billion Dollar Babies ... title track "Billion Dollar Babies", "No More Mr. Nice Guy"

This album is awesome in itself my fav Cooper album and possibly his all time best.  Combine that with Hoffman's mastering and the SACD technology itself ... IMO this should be the poster child of what great Mastering + SACD tech can do.

IP Logged
Corey
Seasoned Member

Reply #10 - 09/28/16 at 03:04:01

https://myspace.com/shilohsheray/music/songs

Go to track #5 : "40 years"

This song was written by the fantastic session drummer; Marco Minneman.

I love when the bass line starts to walk at 2:11  8-)

Really want to hear this bass line in a CWALS treated room and on a pair of HDT MKII's and about 50 watts; solid-state or push-pull!

Corey

WWW   IP Logged
Corey
Seasoned Member

Reply #11 - 09/28/16 at 03:12:17

This song has special significance to me in my life right now; partly because I can't wait to hear this song through Lon's DalAudio R 3886 pushing 70 watts! And partly because I've been walking this earth 40 years as of August!

Corey  :)

WWW   IP Logged
Corey
Seasoned Member

Reply #12 - 09/28/16 at 03:14:56

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print