04/24/24 at 15:19:10 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
New Rethm 1.5 (Read 7020 times)
beowulf
Seasoned Member

New Rethm 1.5
09/21/16 at 07:08:41

A new Rethm speaker called the Bhava.  Sort of a 1.5 though it looks like a coil and cap are used with the subs.  Pretty reasonably priced @ $2900 ... built in India, but I think it would be hard for a USA manufacturer to produce this speaker at this amount.

BO/ Phillips  8" full-range paper driver in a horn-loaded enclosure
2 isobarically configured 7" custom woofers in a sealed chamber
Custom bass amplifier module with level control in each enclosure
94dB system sensitivity
8 ohm nominal impedance

According to 6moons, the final product may use a different driver made by Boston Acoustics, similar to the Phillips Hi-Q listed above but can go a little higher up the frequency ladder.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but I think it looks pretty cool!

IP Logged
Kboe

God is in the Music.

Re: New Rethm 1.5
Reply #1 - 09/21/16 at 13:01:54

It's beautiful!   In my system, how the system looks is just as important as how it sounds and how it makes me feel.

NAD 516/316 - Klipsch speakers. Complete cable looks by belden, kimber, monoprice.
  IP Logged
Dave1210
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 09/21/16 at 13:03:53

Beowulf...I know you are active over on the Omega forum and have likely seen these.  A Decware Super Zen + these new Omega high output AlNiCo monitors (99 dB, 4 ohm) would seem to be a match made in audio heaven...

Oh...and they look great too...

Screen_Shot_2016-09-21_at_7_57_30_AM.png
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #3 - 09/21/16 at 16:58:04

Both of those speakers look amazing.

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 09/21/16 at 22:33:39

@ Dave - yes I saw the Omega's and they look pretty cool, especially for those who shy away from single drivers due to their output limitations.  I myself don't listen really loud and have never found my Omega's to be lacking enough volume for my tastes, though the extra efficiency is nice!  

That said, I just had to get me some AlNiCo Hemp drivers and hear them for myself, so I'm actually having a pair of custom Omega Outlaws being made.  They will be a 2 chamber cabinet.  The top chamber will be ported and house Omega's AlNiCo Hemp drivers, and the bottom chamber will be sealed and house Rythmik Audio Servo Amps and GR Research's 12" Servo Subwoofers.  I especially like the fact that the GR paper woofers can crossover higher, maybe as high as 200-250 Hz (we'll see about that once I get them) which will help accomplish something similar to the Omega High Output Monitors, but with much lower bass extension as well so I'll be all set for both Audio and Video watching.  They will also use ZenWave Audio SL Speaker cabling internally.

I'm expecting them to be about the size of a big BBC monitor such as the ATC SCM100 and I will have some custom stands made by A&M Fabrication similar to the ones shown on the SCM 100 as well.

Since they are a custom build, I'm trying to not get too excited at this point ... as I'm not quite sure of when they will be finished.

IP Logged
Dave1210
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 09/23/16 at 01:30:22

Beowulf...your custom Omega speaker design sounds awesome...

Assuming there are minimal, if any, tradeoffs with the 1.5 version, the extra sensitivity would be of benefit in my room, especially with my 2 watt amp.  That said, I have never driven the CKC with a pre-amp and maybe that would make me think differently.  

I have had good experience with subs, so I would run at least one, even with the high output speakers.  I don't have experience with stereo subs, but I can't think of any negatives (aside from space and price considerations).  In fact, one day I would like to add a second sub in my room.  I'm not sure why more don't take the speaker/sub approach to achieve full range.  Out of curiosity, why didn't you choose the Omega subs?

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #6 - 09/23/16 at 15:47:37

Too many people don't understand the speaker + sub setup and shy away from it, just like they do from proper room treatment.

Matchstikman
Seasoned Member

Reply #7 - 09/23/16 at 16:07:59

I used a speaker + sub setup for years.  At one time I had dual subs.  All of this with room treatments up the wazoo.  Now I use Decware MG944s without subs and it is the best sound I've ever had.  Integrating a sub is a very difficult and time consuming process.  I'll never go back to that.  Life is too short.

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #8 - 09/23/16 at 16:27:12

I get that as well, and I've been doing the same thing with the same speakers. This winter when things slow down at work and I have some more at-home time, I'm going to revisit this with my 21" subwoofer. It goes down to 10Hz at over 100db - so it's great for filling in the bottom end. I just need to find a good way of integrating it to my Mystery Amp and DirectStream setup.

Dave1210
Seasoned Member

Reply #9 - 09/24/16 at 19:20:04

Matchstikman...I use a REL S5 sub with my MG944's...integrates beautifully and took me a couple hours and some tweaking...if that.  I removed the sub recently when I was troubleshooting a noise with my ZMA and was very happy to get it back in the signal path.

IP Logged
Matchstikman
Seasoned Member

Reply #10 - 09/24/16 at 23:32:12

Dave, I used a Rel Strata II once but I used it with bookshelf monitors when I had it.  But, Rel has had something special about them.  Rel and Vandersteen might work out.  Right now my MG944s sound amazing.  A Rel might be worth an audition.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print