Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/29/24 at 11:34:30 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
8 or 4 OHM setting on Super Zen. How do you know? (Read 11792 times)
HIFI JEFF
Verified Member

8 or 4 OHM setting on Super Zen. How do you know?
09/20/16 at 22:06:15

I have had my Super Zen for a few months now and love it. I haven't messed with the settings at all. I know the two switches in the back on the left and right side are the settings for either 8 or 4 ohm. But it doesn't tell you what is what. Is the switch set forward 8 ohm, or is the switch flipped back 8 ohm? I was told that either way it is set, it won't hurt the amp or speakers no matter how I have it set but I would still like to know.

IP Logged
HIFI JEFF
Verified Member

Re: 8 or 4 OHM setting on Super Zen. How do you know?
Reply #1 - 09/23/16 at 19:56:41

Crickets...............Anybody????? Smiley

IP Logged
seikosha
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 09/25/16 at 22:01:14

Switches pushed back is the 8 ohm setting.

Mini Torii, SE84UFO, Quicksilver Horn Monos, ZStage, CSP3 Omega Super3XRS, Omega SAM, Omega Junior 8xrs, Cambridge CXC, Shiit Bifrost 2, PS Audio P3 Powerplant
  IP Logged
HIFI JEFF
Verified Member

Reply #3 - 09/26/16 at 18:29:21

Thanks man! And of course it was a response from you. You and I have talked quite a bit, especially over on audiokarma. I am LOVING my system but am about to upgrade to the Schiit Modi2 Multibit! Have the Uber right now. Moving the Uber to my bedroom where my Fleawatt TPA -3116 is.

IP Logged
pursuitofnow
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 09/28/16 at 04:20:39

Does "switches back" mean towards the cables or towards the tubes?

VPI Classic Signature | Koetsu Urushi Black | Bob's Sky 20 | ZP3 | Swiss Digital Fuse Box
DirectStream DAC (APS nickel transformers, Vocm mod)
ZTPRE | ZBIT | ZROCK2 | SE84UFO3
Omega Super 3 HO XRS | Deep 8
Zenwave D4 | PCR-11 | PI Audio Uberbuss
---
ZR 3
  IP Logged
seikosha
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 09/29/16 at 15:52:42

Switches back means switches pushed towards the back of the unit.

Mini Torii, SE84UFO, Quicksilver Horn Monos, ZStage, CSP3 Omega Super3XRS, Omega SAM, Omega Junior 8xrs, Cambridge CXC, Shiit Bifrost 2, PS Audio P3 Powerplant
  IP Logged
pursuitofnow
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 09/30/16 at 04:29:40

Thanks for the clarification seikosha.

VPI Classic Signature | Koetsu Urushi Black | Bob's Sky 20 | ZP3 | Swiss Digital Fuse Box
DirectStream DAC (APS nickel transformers, Vocm mod)
ZTPRE | ZBIT | ZROCK2 | SE84UFO3
Omega Super 3 HO XRS | Deep 8
Zenwave D4 | PCR-11 | PI Audio Uberbuss
---
ZR 3
  IP Logged
HIFI JEFF
Verified Member

Reply #7 - 10/04/16 at 20:34:07

So now that we have the 4-8ohm switch thing figured out, the toggle switch at the front of the amp, obviously one is the input switch but the other one is supposed to change the dynamics and sound of the amp. I have never really messed with it. Can someone explain what it does exactly and what is better to have it switched to? Switched towards the back compared to the switch forward?

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #8 - 10/04/16 at 20:53:23

This switch offers two different bias signatures for the input tube. If I'm not mistaken forward is a higher bias than towards the back of the amp. I prefer the amps I have with the switch towards the back of the amp.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
HIFI JEFF
Verified Member

Reply #9 - 10/04/16 at 21:09:31

So when you say higher bias, what exactly does that mean? I am new to this and still learning a lot.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #10 - 10/04/16 at 21:24:28

Others could probably explain this better than I, but bias is sort of the operating voltage of the tube. Just as a combustion engine runs differently with different settings for gasoline flow for idle and running, tubes have differing requirements for bias. And there is a safe range of use. This switch sets the bias of the tubes at a setting low in the range, and a setting higher in the range.

In my amps the lower setting imparts a warmer, more relaxed sound and the higher a more dynamic, slightly more forward presentation.

A google search about tube bias should offer better explanations and information than I'm providing I'm afraid.

For example I found this on the page for the former production Decware amp, the SE84C+:

BIAS SWITCH
The switch as seen in the second picture in this manual exists for one reason only – to change the sound of the amplifier, giving you two possible sound signatures at any given point while listening. The switch changes the bias current of the input tube that results in a more laid back signature vs. a more pronounced dynamic and presence. No one agrees on which way sounds best – so it is a function of the source and or preamp you use as well as the type of speakeras you have that will determine which way will sound best to you.
The switch can be operated while listening without damage to the amplifier or speakers even though you will hear significant pop when the switch is changed. Don't worry this is normal. At 2 watts the amplifier is incapable of blowing up a speaker (even tweeters). On a similar note, the amplifier itself is impossible to blow up too. For example; shorting the speakers wires together will have no effect. Leaving the speakers unhooked from the amplifier, while usually death to most tube amps, will also have no effect. The output transformers are oversized, and 2 watts is not enough to damage them.

https://www.decware.com/newsite/SE84CPLUS%20Owners%20Manual.pdf

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
HIFI JEFF
Verified Member

Reply #11 - 10/04/16 at 21:55:35

You actually explained that real well. Thank you. And funny that the information in the owners manual talking about the loud popping when switching it back and forth. I was freaking out when I first messed with it because what went through my mind was I either just damaged my amp or speakers so it was reassuring to read that two watts and the pop would hurt neither. So forward = more aggressive and dynamic, switched towards the the rear is more laid back and warm. I guess I will mess around with it more and see what I like. I have just left it in the forward position and am happy with what I am hearing though.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print