Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
TorII Jr. for sale (Read 26638 times)
Rraymond
Seasoned Member

TorII Jr. for sale
09/13/16 at 20:58:56

Guys,

Sad to say but after 5 months of use, I'm parting with my lovely Torii Jr. It has Beeswax Type 1 caps and it was sent back to Decware 2 weeks ago and Steve put in the new quieter pre-amp tubes.  Also I purchased 2 Bel E88CC Cryo treated pre-amp tubes($154.00) and a NOS Philips 5R4GYS Cryo treated rectifier tube($127.00) all are made in Holland.  These extra tubes will be included with the amp. Now get this...  It has a REAL walnut base!  You may not realize it but Decware actually uses a Sepia wood with walnut finish but I am a real wood nut so Zyggi  did this base in actual walnut wood which was $150 upgrade.  The amp is in great shape other than a very small light scuff on the side.  I had to wait for 3 months to have this built so if you want one now, and don't want to go through the excruciating pain of break in, here's the TorII Jr. for you.  It will be carefully packed in the original packaging.  $2450.00.

Rick

IMG_6963.JPG

Audion Silver Night Special Edition 300b integrated, Zu Soul Superfly speakers, Acoustic Solid TT with Denon 103 MC cart, PS Audio NuWave phono, Zu Event MKII speaker cables with BU3 connectors.
  IP Logged
Rraymond
Seasoned Member

Re: TorII Jr. for sale
Reply #1 - 09/13/16 at 21:01:00

Close up of Philips tube.

IMG_6964_001.JPG

Audion Silver Night Special Edition 300b integrated, Zu Soul Superfly speakers, Acoustic Solid TT with Denon 103 MC cart, PS Audio NuWave phono, Zu Event MKII speaker cables with BU3 connectors.
  IP Logged
Rraymond
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 09/13/16 at 21:02:24

Side View.

IMG_6966.JPG

IP Logged
Rraymond
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 09/13/16 at 21:05:15

Rear view.

IMG_6967.JPG

IP Logged
Rraymond
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 09/13/16 at 21:06:53

Side view.

IMG_6973.JPG

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 09/13/16 at 21:59:27

Quote:
2 Bel E88CC Cryo treated pre-amp tubes($154.00) and a NOS Philips 5R4GYS Cryo treated rectifier tube($127.00) all are made in Holland.

Nice amp!

I think Bel are actually made in India.

All Modified: PSA-P5>DIY Strip/Shunyata Defender>RevolutionMacMini/Amarra-KTE Singxer/Gustardx20pro/ZBIT/CSP3>OldChen 300B/845, Torii IV>Omega S-A-H-O monitors/SVS Micro3000>Pi PCs-DIY PCs, ICs, USB, I2S, Speaker-SR and aluminum w ball bearing feet
  IP Logged
Rraymond
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 09/13/16 at 22:05:08

Thanks Will for catching that, my mistake yep made in India. Just the rectifier tube is made in Holland.
Rick

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #7 - 09/13/16 at 23:03:49

Seems Bel may have been sort of a satellite for Euro tubes. I have some Bel India made ECC88s that are said to be Mullard tooled that are really good tubes.

All Modified: PSA-P5>DIY Strip/Shunyata Defender>RevolutionMacMini/Amarra-KTE Singxer/Gustardx20pro/ZBIT/CSP3>OldChen 300B/845, Torii IV>Omega S-A-H-O monitors/SVS Micro3000>Pi PCs-DIY PCs, ICs, USB, I2S, Speaker-SR and aluminum w ball bearing feet
  IP Logged
doukhobar
Seasoned Member

Reply #8 - 09/13/16 at 23:21:43

That wood base is gorgeous!

I want one now for my SE84CKC!

Torii Jr, Taboo III, Dennis Had Firebottle amp & LP2 pre, ERR speakers, Omega 3XRS, Omega Super Alnico XRS, Bryston BDP-1, Kora Hermes DAC, Pear Audio Robin Hood TT w/Cornet 1 tonearm & Hana SL cart, ZP3 Cryo Beeswax caps, Bob's Devices SUT, HD800, LCD2, Zenwave
  IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #9 - 09/14/16 at 00:58:16

Quote:
... You may not realize it but Decware actually uses a Sepia wood with walnut finish ...

This caught my eye.  I'm not familiar with sepia wood.  All of my bases (3) are "walnut" and you have me curious.  

Is this some sort of Walnut-gate?   Shocked  What exactly is Sepia wood?

ZLC
Technics 1200G TT w/ Ortofon Jubilee MC cart
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Homemade Big Betsy Speakers (F15s)
Silver Cabling
DIY Isolation platforms under amps & TT.
  IP Logged
Rraymond
Seasoned Member

Reply #10 - 09/14/16 at 02:34:52

Archie,
I'm not a wood expert but I was told by Steve that they use that wood because it's more consistent in the color tone when finished with the walnut stain. With Walnut, the outer part of the tree is very light in color whereas the center of the tree is dark. So to keep consistent tones from one piece to the next, there's a lot of waste when picking through and cutting off each board which increase the overall costs. Hope this helps and I hope I'm not opening a can of worms here...😁
Rick

IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #11 - 09/14/16 at 17:39:03

Rick,

I tried looking up "sepia" wood and I couldn't find anything other than referring to finish.  Is Sepia some kind of rainforest hardwood?  I'm in the carpentry line and I've never come across it before.

The bases on my ZP3 and CSP3 look different than that on my ZMA.  The ZMA base looks more like true walnut grain but the others are a pretty good copy other than their more open grain.  I do feel a bit cheated since when walnut is specified I don't expect to get a substitute -- whatever the reason.

Thanks for pointing this out.

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
Rraymond
Seasoned Member

Reply #12 - 09/14/16 at 17:47:49

Archie,
I sure hope I'm correct on the spelling of Sepia wood. It's not a secret as Steve did mention to me that they use that wood for consistency reasons and I'm sure it's another great hardwood that is available out there. You may want to check with the master woodworker Zyggi on it. I do know that when I was Looking at having some molding made for around my custom garage door I wanted mahogany and the door guy suggested Sepia as an alternative. He said once it's stained you really wouldn't be able to tell the difference. It sounded to me like it was just as good as mahogany just a bit more plentiful currently.

IP Logged
doukhobar
Seasoned Member

Reply #13 - 09/14/16 at 17:53:34

Rraymond - your wood case is gorgeous. Definitely worth the upgrade, now that I see it!

Is it a solid walnut case, or a walnut veneer? Probably a veneer, right, like in furniture?

But because the case is so small, compared to like, a table, or nightstands, those might be solid pieces of walnut.

Solid walnut ain't cheap. I'm sure it's alot easier to get consistent sepia boards and cut and sand them to size, and stain them in walnut or cherry, whatever finish you like. Working with walnut veneer, or solid walnut, is just very expensive. Most high end vintage mid century furniture has a real walnut veneer, which is about 2-5 mm.

Torii Jr, Taboo III, Dennis Had Firebottle amp & LP2 pre, ERR speakers, Omega 3XRS, Omega Super Alnico XRS, Bryston BDP-1, Kora Hermes DAC, Pear Audio Robin Hood TT w/Cornet 1 tonearm & Hana SL cart, ZP3 Cryo Beeswax caps, Bob's Devices SUT, HD800, LCD2, Zenwave
  IP Logged
doukhobar
Seasoned Member

Reply #14 - 09/14/16 at 17:55:20

Archie - when you specify walnut or cherry, you are not stating you are buying a true solid wood walnut or cherry hard  case. That would be very, very expensive - and not necessary. The website does not specify anywhere that the case is made of these solid rare woods. You are merely specifying a stain.

IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #15 - 09/14/16 at 18:16:41

Quote:
Archie - when you specify walnut or cherry, you are not stating you are buying a true solid wood walnut or cherry hard  case. That would be very, very expensive - and not necessary. The web site does not specify anywhere that the case is made of these solid rare woods. You are merely specifying a stain.

Walnut and Cherry are far from being "rare" woods.  Although they have been going up in price -- say from $4/bf 15 yrs ago to $8/bf today (just an example and not exact pricing) they are easy to get and relatively plentiful.  The cost of the wood in these bases is negligible compared to the labor to make them.

I also disagree that we are specifying stain color and not wood in the Cart.  Otherwise, why the upchage for going to other than "walnut" or the standard base?

From the Torii Jr page:

Quote:
You can also select from the black figured wood base (shown at the top of this web page) OR contemporary styled solid hardwoods like the walnut shown above. Additional woods like oak, maple, cherry and even exotics can be selected from within the shopping cart. The Black Figured base is only available in Black.

It's not hard to say exactly what is offered and when it's not done, this kind of misunderstanding/issue results.

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #16 - 09/14/16 at 18:18:13

It is a bit confusing though because on the product pages I looked at it says "choice of different woods" when "stains" would be more accurate.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Rraymond
Seasoned Member

Reply #17 - 09/14/16 at 19:27:06

Oh boy, looks like I did open a can of worms here....lol. Anyway, Doukhobar, mine is a solid walnut not a veneer. My speakers on the other hand are walnut veneers over MDF for the flat panels. To me, it's just about the beauty of the wood. 😉

IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #18 - 09/15/16 at 00:43:41

Don't forget about thr "machinability" of different woods. The cost of labor trumps the cost of materials a lot of the time.

Owner of the infamous RED TORII and Dan the Redheaded Amp
  IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #19 - 09/15/16 at 01:01:09

Rick,

Just to pry a little ...

Why the sale?

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
Rraymond
Seasoned Member

Reply #20 - 09/15/16 at 13:45:46

Archie,
I am looking for more than what the Torri Jr has brought to my listening room. I really hate to let it go but I found something I like better. I'm finding out that this journey may never end and there's quite a lot of synergy that takes place between every single component in the system and of course the environment that the system is in. So after many trials with different components, cables etc. I am making changes to suit my listening characteristics. Hopefully someday I will be at a point where I can be completely satisfied, kick back and just enjoy the music!

IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #21 - 09/15/16 at 17:03:23

Rick,

What did you find that you liked better?  Was the issue power related or something else?

I've been encouraging one of my brothers to get a Torri Jr so any feedback is much appreciated!   Smiley

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
Rraymond
Seasoned Member

Reply #22 - 09/15/16 at 21:30:11

Archie,
I did a comparison with a SimAudio 250i and it seemed to fit my listening ear better. It does have more power so that's a plus too.
Rick

IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #23 - 09/15/16 at 23:57:06

That's a great amp!  If you get the SimAudio let us know what you think.

I wish I could justify a second system, I'm highly tempted by your JR.  :)

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
Rraymond
Seasoned Member

Reply #24 - 09/29/16 at 19:46:46

Posted on Audiogon. Really wanted to sell it through here but I'm sure there's some Decware fans there.

IP Logged
reuben.ahmed
Verified Member

Reply #25 - 10/30/16 at 13:13:22

I registered (I've perused this forum before but never posted). J'm interested, but still researching.

Thanks!
Reuben

IP Logged
Rraymond
Seasoned Member

Reply #26 - 04/20/17 at 21:38:15

This is back up for sale. Price dropped $150 to $2300.

IP Logged
EVOLVIST
Verified Member

Reply #27 - 05/07/17 at 07:50:08

Do you have the original tubes that came with this, as well?

IP Logged
Rraymond
Seasoned Member

Reply #28 - 05/07/17 at 15:56:47

Yes I do also have the original tubes and they will be included.
Thanks for asking.
Rick

IP Logged
doukhobar
Seasoned Member

Reply #29 - 05/08/17 at 00:25:50

Did you ever roll any power tubes in this besides the EL34? Have you ever compared it to a Mini Torii?

IP Logged
Rraymond
Seasoned Member

Reply #30 - 05/08/17 at 14:52:54

I haven't rolled power tubes in it and have not compared or heard the mini Torii but I did take it over to another members house who has a newer Torii MKIV with NOS RCA black plates and he liked my Torii Jr sound better. It's all about personal preference and until you can hear one in person, you won't know whether it's got the sound signature you are looking for or not. What speakers do you have?  What's the sensitivity?
Rick

IP Logged
doukhobar
Seasoned Member

Reply #31 - 05/09/17 at 03:52:49

I have Decware ERR's and need more power than my current amp provides, which maxes out at about 12 Watts. I have a lot of 6L6 tubes, but no EL34 tubes for rolling.

IP Logged
Rraymond
Seasoned Member

Reply #32 - 05/09/17 at 13:19:25

Well I actually had the Errx speakers as well. The power that the Torii Jr has is plenty to power those speakers. It gives a very 3 dimensional image with plenty of volume at the 12 o'clock position.  To make a long story short,  the reason I switched speakers was my wife and I were at an audio show in Colorado (RMAF) and my wife came across some beautiful Zu Soul Superflys she fell in love with so she bought them without telling me until we came home. She wanted to surprise me, but then we were faced with the decision to sell one pair. I like the Zu's a bit more because they were more forward.
So, unless you are looking to have concert level music, 20 watts should be plenty for your listening pleasure. Right now, I'm running 8 watts with the Zu's and rarely turn it up to 12 o'clock.

Hope this helps.
Rick

IP Logged
Dave1210
Seasoned Member

Reply #33 - 05/10/17 at 01:27:25

Hi Rick...maybe I missed it, but what amp did you decide on for your Zu speakers?

Also...I'm not sure if other folks noticed, but Zu had a pretty substantial increase in pricing on their speakers recently (20-30%).

I hope all is well!

IP Logged
Rraymond
Seasoned Member

Reply #34 - 05/10/17 at 13:35:46

Dave,

I ended up with an Audion Silver Night Special Edition 300b amp. It's a very good match for the Zu Soul Superfly speakers. 8 watts of pure SET.
Now just tweeking power and cables to fine tune things.

Rick

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #35 - 05/11/17 at 00:55:21

Hey Rick,

At the beginning of the thread you mentioned you had sent it back to Steve. Can you tell us, does this put the amp into the warranty transfer category without further costs?

IP Logged
Rraymond
Seasoned Member

Reply #36 - 05/11/17 at 04:27:58

Yeah I would have to check with Steve on that. I would think he should honor that but we can check when the sale is going to occur. As we all know, Decware amps are built like tanks so I'm not concerned about him keeping the warranty transferred.

Rick

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #37 - 05/11/17 at 04:59:58

Hey Rick,

I am not concerned about the possibility of transfer either, but about the potential cost of it...I think I recalled they were asking a notable amount for it these days, but don't know....why I am asking...

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print