Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/28/24 at 14:56:41 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
I can't take it anymore..... (Read 10005 times)
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

I can't take it anymore.....
09/08/16 at 02:34:40

Go to for example, U.S. Audiomart and the Systems Gallery. System after System after System and Rooms that are not the better half's main living room either (read: dedicated area/basement or room)......and what do see?!

Room after Room has NO Acoustic Treatment. Not even the basics 101! These Rooms I know sound like excrement! Multiple days in class were missed apparently. To make an investment in time and money and to listen to your walls ..... Floor and ceiling....Totally has me dumbfounded.

Room Treats-M.Green & mine
Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Shunyata Z-Alpha DigPcord
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
Acoustic Zen Adagio/Modified
Kimber PK10 Palladian from wall
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Re: I can't take it anymore.....
Reply #1 - 09/08/16 at 03:59:01

We can take the illustration you so accurately expressed one step further... spend an evening collecting images of Reviewer's listening rooms.  It should be the statistical icing on the cake Smiley

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Corey
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 09/09/16 at 00:33:58

The P1324 diffusor panel isn't exactly rocket science to build, nor expensive. I just don't get it?  :-/

WWW   IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 09/09/16 at 15:19:40

Timely post Stone.  I spent the night last night moving treatments around to see their effect on soundstage.  I think I need to build some more...

i7 Mac Mini with LPSU/SSD running Audirvana 3.5, Uptone Audio Regen on LPSU, Mytek Brooklyn DAC+, Ven Haus DIY Silver ICs, 25th Ann. Zen, PS Audio P5 Power Supply, PS Audio Power Cords, GR Research Speaker Wire, DIY Big Betsy and Crystal 10 Open Baffle Speakers
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #4 - 09/09/16 at 17:47:38

Actually Steve, more and more I'm seeing reviewers with at least some room treatment...even *real* room treatment and not magic stones or $500 wood blocks.  ;)

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #5 - 09/09/16 at 19:00:50

Pal, yes, we always need more diffusers. I still think you might need some on your ceiling.  ;)

Oh yeah, I finally retired my CWALS. With the girlfriend moved in, I just didn't have the room for them. I broke the first one open, liberated the insulation and bubble wrap and recycled the MDF. I still have to do the same with the other unit. I think I'm going to line the back of my CNC-wire cut foam diffusers with the "acoustic blanket" before I box them and mount them somewhere in the home theater or spare bedroom.

Matchstikman
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 09/10/16 at 20:30:28

So, I have about 6 diffusers I got from Decware years ago.  Lately, they've been in my office on a wall behind a couple of guitar amps.  The other day I turned on an amp I haven't used in sometime and man, it sounded like crap.  I mean it was dry and stagnant and lifeless.  I thought, what the hell happened to this amp?   Anyway, I thought about selling it then I took it to the garage where a guy was going to come around to possibly buy it.  I turned it on and man, wow, the magic was back.  The sound was big and wide and full.

Long story, short, diffusers do wonders but it is important that they be set up correctly otherwise they will do what they do and you will be disappointed.  They are sneaky.  

By the way, I didn't sell the amp.  I kept it.

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #7 - 09/12/16 at 00:35:40

I'm curious, what amp was it?  I used to play, and started teaching myself to repair old Fender amps. Even built a Super Reverb from scratch (not a kit, literally buying a chassis and parts and putting it together following the old layouts).

Matchstikman
Seasoned Member

Reply #8 - 09/12/16 at 02:08:13

The amp in question was an open back, 1x15, 30 watt Peavey Delta Blues.  It is a really nice amp.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #9 - 09/12/16 at 12:50:18

Nice amp. 15" speakers are where it's at.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Matchstikman
Seasoned Member

Reply #10 - 09/12/16 at 14:59:10

Lonely, repair of guitar amps is a lucrative business especially if you live in a small town where such a thing doesn't exist.  If you can get certified by Fender or Marshall that would be even better.

IP Logged
Jeff1

Reply #11 - 09/15/16 at 00:15:27

Agreed and expected that anyone claiming to be a reviewer of audio equipment should have a room dedicated and acoustically treated. It is odd as I remember back years ago having a few subscriptions to audio magazines that acoustics was not even a topic except maybe the back pages or small ads if at all. Could it have been a dastardly plan to make sure your last dollar was all spent on equipment and nary a thought to apply budgetary thought to acoustics?

Anyway it is possible that many of those who begin the journey into audio enlightenment do so without the benefit of a mentor and in a sense just lack the knowledge as a beginner or seasoned listener to realize acoustics matter. None of my friends at the time I began investing in better equipment cared about quality of sound just how loud and how many watts do you have. It was years before I came across others who were on the same patha nd in fact I actually helped them begin to realize the potential of what can be with the consideration of acoustical treatment. It was an eye opener for them as it was for me when I discovered it.

On the audiomart site is a forum section and subforums on acoustics. Shocking that there are almost no posts. It can be easy at times to stand and say "hey look those guys over there don't know nothin" but how about walking over to them so to speak and say "hey there is a way to realize improvements with acoustics". So SOT that may be a great opportunity for you to start a thread on that site and share your enthusiasm, teach your class and maybe it will alleviate your frustration. We are all at a different levels through our journey.

PI Audio Uberbuss, Esoteric K05X, ELF gold Interconnect, TabooMK4,ZMF Silver Michanikos, ZMF Atrium Closed Back.
  IP Logged
Corey
Seasoned Member

Reply #12 - 09/15/16 at 02:44:41

Jeff wrote :

"Could it have been a dastardly plan to make sure your last dollar was all spent on equipment and nary a thought to apply budgetary thought to acoustics?"

That, or lack of treatments simply creates poor sound, therefore selling supposedly "unacceptable" gear and buying new, over and over.  Some P1324's, corner traps and a couple blankets on the wall stops that very quickly if your into tubes and have smooth speakers.

WWW   IP Logged
Corey
Seasoned Member

Reply #13 - 09/15/16 at 02:49:16

Here's my guitar amp. Been playing this amp the last 3 years and am very pleased with it.  It has a very cheap Chinese stock 12" speaker and replacement with a Celestion A-Type; removing the dust cap and installing a socket in the former is mandated.  Also adding reinforcement cleating to the inside of the cabinet, stuffing, and replacing the garbage back panel which is 1/2" particle board!

https://marshallamps.com/products/amplifiers/mg-carbon-fibre/mg50cfx/

http://celestion.com/product/144/atype/

WWW   IP Logged
Matchstikman
Seasoned Member

Reply #14 - 09/15/16 at 14:32:13

Wow, a closed back Marshall combo?  You don't see alot of those.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print