Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/25/24 at 11:17:16 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Should I get the Stepped Attenuator? (Read 1643 times)
NormD
Seasoned Member

Should I get the Stepped Attenuator?
08/20/16 at 22:56:58

I'm about to place my order for the ZMA with the balanced inputs, but I am not sure about the benefits of the stepped attenuator since there is a single volume control  I don't see adjusting the volume on the amp much once I fire it up and if I read the manual correctly, the gain control will probably be in the max position most of the time anyway..  I will be using a Marantz AV8801 as a pre/pro and listening to downloaded 24-bit recordings, LP's and 24-bit converted LP's, BluRays, Pandora and infrequently movies.   Thoughts?

OPPO Sonica DAC
Technics SL-1200M3D Turntable
SoundSmith The Voice cartridge
JRMedia Center running on a MacMini
Panasonic DP-UB820
Marantz AV8802a Pre/Rotel RMB-1585 Surround
ZTPre & ZMA Stereo
Focal Sopra No. 2 speakers (91 db)
2 Hsu ULS-ULS-15 MK2 Subs
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Re: Should I get the Stepped Attenuator?
Reply #1 - 08/20/16 at 23:22:20

I find that I prefer the stepped attenuators . . . they seem to be just a tiny bit more transparent. I tend to adjust the volume more than you seem to be going to so it may make no difference.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
vyokyong
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 08/23/16 at 04:53:38

Hi,

Just my experience, I have modified my ZMA by taking out stepped attenuator. It provides much more clarity, subtle details, timbre, dynamic contrast and better 3D imaging.

Audio Note DAC3.1 Custom modded to 4.1, DIY Duelund wire RCA IC, Offramp 5 USB SPDIF converter, Mac Mini, Amarra Symphony player,
Zen Mystery Amp. MIT Oracle speaker wire, Avalon Eidolon Diamond speakers. Coincident Statement preamp, Martin Logan Depth subwoofer
  IP Logged
NormD
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 08/23/16 at 11:37:42

So are you running the ZMA at maximum amplification and controlling volume with the input?

OPPO Sonica DAC
Panasonic DP-UB820
ZTPre & ZMA Stereo
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #4 - 08/24/16 at 15:55:53

You do not want the stepped attenuator....as vyokyong stated.

Listening Room:

Room Treatments from Michael Green & Home Brew

Sony as Transport (DVP-NS57P)/Sandwich weighted for Isolation

Illuminati D-60 Digital Coax IC

Shunyata Research Ztron Alpha Digital Power Cord to ZDSD
{Extremely Significant}

Decware ZDSD DAC / Recorder
W/Steve's Output Transformer's/kicking to the curb quite a few superb DAC'S!
(@ -20 Ref Level, 0.0 Input volume and @ 16/192)

WBT-0102Ag RCA Kimber Select KS1030

Decware Zen Mystery Amplifier
~BIASED at *60* mA~
(NOS/Platinum/Mullard E188CC/7308's in my A12 an B12 Input positions Cryo Pair~NOS/Platinum/Telefunken E88CC for Inverter Tubes~NOS RCA 0A3's & New Quad of Tube Depot Stealth/Tung-Sol KT66's)
ZMA adjusted at 20% to 30-40% max ~ from 0 Gain

Kimber Select KS6063 Speaker Cable 8ft WBT-0681-Ag Spades

Acoustic Zen Adagio - Black Pearl (Modified)
.....from 8ohm Taps

Acoustic Zen Adagio's x-over's Modified/Full Range with Mundorf MCap Supremes-single Cap to each Tweeter/4.5k cross
(Gutted: 3kHz/18dB/Octave, Linkwitz/Riley Crossovers....with all crappy parts = gone)

XLO Pro Power Cord to ZMA
PS Audio P3 Power Plant / Pangea AC-9SE from wall to P3
(Transport and ZDSD, Regenerated/*120*~ Multiwave off...ZMA on High Current Output)

NOS Platinum Tube Rotations in my ZMA,

(matched pairs/from Upscale Audio/Kevin):

(Germany) Telefunken E88CC ~ 1 pair
(Great Britain) Mullard 7308/E188CC ~  2 pair (both pair Cryogenic)
(US/Great Britain) Ediswan CV2492/6922 ~ 2 pair (one pair Cryogenic)
(Hungary) Tungsram 6922/E88CC ~ 1 pair
(Hungary) Tungsram PCC88/7DJ8 ~ 1 pair
(Russian) Cryoset 6N23N/P-EB ~ 2 pair  

Room Treats-M.Green & mine
Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Shunyata Z-Alpha DigPcord
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
Acoustic Zen Adagio/Modified
Kimber PK10 Palladian from wall
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 08/24/16 at 17:11:20

Quote:
You do not want the stepped attenuator....as vyokyong stated.

I'm just lurking here but to clarify, vyokyong removed his volume pot altogether and hard wired his ZMA at full volume.  Unless we want to do that, which attenuator would be preferred?  Steve recommended that I keep my ZMA at full volume and regulate with my CSP3 (which I do not do).  At full volume is there a difference in attenuator fidelity?

ZLC
Technics 1200G TT w/ Ortofon Jubilee MC cart
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Homemade Big Betsy Speakers (F15s)
Silver Cabling
DIY Isolation platforms under amps & TT.
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #6 - 08/24/16 at 17:57:37

Personally I think that if you bypass the volume control altogether as it seems V has done then you have the best fidelity when controlling volume from another source.

In my experience the stepped attenuator sounds better than the "infinite volume" one by a hair. I bet if they were both at maximum the sound is likely nearly identical.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
NormD
Seasoned Member

Reply #7 - 08/25/16 at 00:51:20

I ordered the stepped attenuator, as a discrete connection seems better than a wiper on a coil of wire.  I'll have to hear the amp with my system before I do anything to it.

BTW, here is how Steve suggested I run the amp:  "As for adjustment, you'll find that the higher you make the signal feeding the ZMA and the more you turn down the ZMA's input control to compensate, the better everything will usually sound."

That makes good sense to me and I'll give that a try when i get my amp.

OPPO Sonica DAC
Panasonic DP-UB820
ZTPre & ZMA Stereo
  IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #8 - 08/25/16 at 01:23:31

Quote:
BTW, here is how Steve suggested I run the amp:  "As for adjustment, you'll find that the higher you make the signal feeding the ZMA and the more you turn down the ZMA's input control to compensate, the better everything will usually sound."

That makes good sense to me and I'll give that a try when i get my amp.

LOL, that closer to where I ended up despite him suggesting the full volume on the ZMA.  He may have been trying to simplify things for me since the CSP3 has so many knobs!

I'd be tempted to bypass my volume pot if I had skills.

ZLC
Technics 1200G TT w/ Ortofon Jubilee MC cart
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Homemade Big Betsy Speakers (F15s)
Silver Cabling
DIY Isolation platforms under amps & TT.
  IP Logged
NormD
Seasoned Member

Reply #9 - 08/25/16 at 01:41:32

I'm thinking of not using a preamp at all for serious listening and instead use the Decware switch between my ADC, DAC and Marantz pre/pro (for HT).  All of those have volume controls, but I have to get up to adjust the volume - a PITA - for the non-Marantz inputs.   For now I will use my Marantz pre/pro as the input to the ZMA, using it's DAC and have the ADC coming through it.  That way I have total control over volume from the comfort of my chair.  Later I will try a direct DAC connection and see how it compared to the Marantz.  It is unlikely I will remove the ZMA volume control.

OPPO Sonica DAC
Panasonic DP-UB820
ZTPre & ZMA Stereo
  IP Logged
Jeff1

Reply #10 - 08/26/16 at 20:20:48

Norm, my thought process was the same in regards to the type of volume control. I eventually went with not stepped but reading about your current equipment and the numerous sources you use I think you made a good choice. I use my ZMA full gain. I have not noticed any sound quality differences with using a lower level on the ZMA. I use my source component for volume and only turn down the amp for power up and power down.

PI Audio Uberbuss, Esoteric K05X, ELF gold Interconnect, TabooMK4,ZMF Silver Michanikos, ZMF Atrium Closed Back.
  IP Logged
vyokyong
Seasoned Member

Reply #11 - 08/31/16 at 06:28:27

Hi,

Sorry for late reply.
My system, the signal path from source to ZMA does not pass any resistors volume control or stepped attenuator volume control. I use pre-amp to control volume and the pre-amp uses the transformer based mono volume pots.

The Coincident Statement Line Stage is the most direct, purest approach in active pre amplification. The input signal travels from the transformer based mono volume pots to the transformer input and then to the 101D tubes for gain and lastly out through the output transformer. The 101D tubes are directly heated triodes that are the most linear amplifying devices ever invented.

Normally, volume control in source, pre-amp and amp use resistors attenuator for volume control. The clarity and transparency will be little lost depend on quality of volume pot.

I think that we should plan the system as whole system from source to amp. And then decide which direction to go and fix your need. For me, I give Clarity and transparency is the first priority. That is the reason I avoid resistors attenuator. I believe reality LIVE music hifi system starts with CLARITY and TRANSPARENCY.

Enjoy your listening.
Regards.

Audio Note DAC3.1 Custom modded to 4.1, DIY Duelund wire RCA IC, Offramp 5 USB SPDIF converter, Mac Mini, Amarra Symphony player,
Zen Mystery Amp. MIT Oracle speaker wire, Avalon Eidolon Diamond speakers. Coincident Statement preamp, Martin Logan Depth subwoofer
  IP Logged
Jeff1

Reply #12 - 11/05/16 at 17:05:40

Norm i figure you have your amp by now so what did you come up with in your use of the volume on the map and or sources? How is it so far?

PI Audio Uberbuss, Esoteric K05X, ELF gold Interconnect, TabooMK4,ZMF Silver Michanikos, ZMF Atrium Closed Back.
  IP Logged
NormD
Seasoned Member

Reply #13 - 11/07/16 at 03:33:57

Hello Jeff!

Yes, I have my ZMA and I am totally pleased with it. When I first hooked it up it was like a muffler was pulled off my tweeter! I heard crystal clear highs I never heard before with such clarity. The bass is clear and distinctive with midrange of such clarity I am constantly amazed.  I am using the amp to push my Focal Electra 1028be's and it has no problem driving them. I am keeping the ZMA stepped attenuator volume control about 3/4 of max and it seems to be fine for all my sources. I am using subwoofers crossed over at 60hz so the amp does not get too loaded down when I crank up the volume but I am not totally sure I really need to. I am glad I bought this amp!

OPPO Sonica DAC
Panasonic DP-UB820
ZTPre & ZMA Stereo
  IP Logged
Jeff1

Reply #14 - 11/08/16 at 03:43:12

Good to hear. After experimenting I am finding that about 3/4 on the amp gain is my preference as well.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print