Decware Audio Forums
05/02/24 at 22:27:52 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
MG 944  MTM (Read 12610 times)
skiroe

MG 944  MTM
07/15/16 at 17:50:43

Selling my relatively babied first iteration MG 944's which are working perfectly and have been been driven by my  Taboo.     Always used with cotton cloth on top to protect finish.     See pics at US Audio Mart.     Asking $900.   Have factory boxes with inserts.  I have used these for the past 6 to 8 years most often in bedroom system although recently in main system with a custom built  2a3 Burgess amp.      

IP Logged
charles hidalgo
Seasoned Member

Re: MG 944  MTM
Reply #1 - 07/16/16 at 22:27:57

Hello. Would you want to part with the Burgess amp and speakers as a package?

Thank you

Charlie

SEWE300B #004
HDTv2
Zbit
Schiit Freya+
Schiit Loki Max
EverSolo Streamer/DAC combo
Custom AT turntable
Softone phone stage
TEAC and Otari tape machines
SVS Pro 1000 subs
Nordost cables
WWW   IP Logged
skiroe

Reply #2 - 07/16/16 at 23:57:42

Hey Charlieboy,    Cant blame you for trying although not letting it go at this point.   Its an almost 50lb creation with the larger square James opt's instead of the usual round ,smaller ones.  Mundorf silver and oil ,   taps for 4, 8, 16 ohm and very thick aluminum chassis with coca bola or similar wood sides .  

IP Logged
charles hidalgo
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 07/17/16 at 00:29:55

His jewelry store was 30 minutes from where I live but I never found out about him till about 8 years ago. He repaired one of my Cary 805c amps. He was having some health issues then, and I went through a divorce and walked away from audio till this last year. I just found him on facebook and he's still building. I just sent him a message.  :) Did those 45's drive the MG944's fine?

SEWE300B #004
HDTv2
Zbit
Schiit Freya+
Schiit Loki Max
Custom AT turntable
Softone phone stage
SVS Pro 1000 subs
Nordost cables
WWW   IP Logged
skiroe

Reply #4 - 07/17/16 at 00:45:21

2a3 SET Charlie,   a few  more watts than the 45.  It drove it .  Don't know that I would want to try with a 45 based.  If I could upload pics here I would show it..    If you like send me your email and I will send you some pics.    I've never had problems uploading pics on any other site so dont know what the deal is .   Cant upload an avatar even.   Did you check the pics of the 944's @ Audio Mart?     I bought them from someone who had just bought them and hardly used. They have been getting good usage  since 07 I think it was ---I forget how I found out when I got them --just yesterday ...  Memory the bain of the aging process.     Im not doing so bad though just turned 72.   Hopefully moving out of the bay area about 3.5 hrs northeast a bit.

IP Logged
charles hidalgo
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 07/17/16 at 01:26:17

I did just notice it was 2a3. I love the sound of the 2a3. Hopefully He will get back to me and we can work out something for him to build me.

SEWE300B #004
HDTv2
Zbit
Schiit Freya+
Schiit Loki Max
Custom AT turntable
Softone phone stage
SVS Pro 1000 subs
Nordost cables
WWW   IP Logged
skiroe

Reply #6 - 07/30/16 at 00:44:25

Cant believe someone hasn't made an offer on these, esp on Agon or Audio Asylum.     Maybe not so noticeable that they are for sale as posted here because of no pics.   Will entertain offers.   Tell that friend who needs to upgrade to  more SET friendly speakers.  Iv'e really enjoyed them for the past 7 years and conflicted about letting them go. It will help me lighten the load a bit for a hoped for upcoming move.

IP Logged
skiroe

Reply #7 - 08/04/16 at 23:56:16

REDUCED   TO   $750.

IP Logged
skiroe

Reply #8 - 08/11/16 at 00:13:58

Here we go again.   REDuced to   $650---actual cost of shipping to buyer. .  All factory packing including that special custom made mdf hard cover made esp for these.  Only discovered those covers when I went to pack them up.   Forgot they were there.

IP Logged
zen101
Verified Member

Reply #9 - 08/13/16 at 23:25:05

photos?

IP Logged
skiroe

Reply #11 - 08/14/16 at 16:34:23

Thanks Lin,      Der,,, I didn't think to just put in the link...     Grin
These may be sold shortly.

IP Logged
skiroe

Reply #12 - 09/09/16 at 22:20:04

these are sold.     Unfortunately ,  the buyer had a very difficult time--(I'm going to try and not cap on him here)  being present for the delivery.  And due to UPS lugging these around more than 3 attempts apparently ..  3 of the drivers were damaged.    I had repeatedly gave a heads up to this buyer to not let the carrier hold onto them ,, to no avail.    Of course this could of happened anywhere within the process..    Interestingly,  Factory boxes with ALL the inserts (inc custom cover for the front)  were used to ship.   My take on it as my experience over the years shipping  leads me to believe that the boxes were slammed down---both of them --with no damage occurring to the cabinets  ---only the drivers-- the cones were puckered out    A lot of force needed for that to happen.   I immediately followed up with making a claim and communicated with Steve re/replacement drivers and gave all the pertinent info to buyer.   To top it all off --- He told me he was scheduling an inspection which of course UPS requires.   A few days ago I get a letter from UPS saying that they have been unable to schedule an inspection with this person!     Well,  maybe he is just going to order the drivers which are pretty reasonable   I was going to contact him re/UPS closing the claim but I already caught hell from him with his complaints that I was lecturing him  (the missed deliveries)   so I have  elected to let him do whatever it is  he is going to do about it.    Never ceases to confound  that someone out there would be so seemingly disconnected from the realities of the shipping process esp re/electronics    or at least follow up in order to get compensated for damages by the carrier.   Smiley

IP Logged
doukhobar
Seasoned Member

Reply #13 - 09/15/16 at 18:44:18

Oh boy, this sucks. Not a happy ending - but hard to decide who is more at fault here (I would say carrier is #1). I feel lucky that my ERR speakers arrived unscathed in their cross country journey from California to Washington DC! We also used Bob's original packaging, which we had to buy new from him directly, have that shipped to Cali, put the speakers in, then ship the new boxes with speakers back to DC.  The funny thing is, when the new boxes arrived in Cali. from Bob, they had damage from UPS! Thankfully, the speakers arrived perfectly to me.

Torii Jr, Taboo III, Dennis Had Firebottle amp & LP2 pre, ERR speakers, Omega 3XRS, Omega Super Alnico XRS, Bryston BDP-1, Kora Hermes DAC, Pear Audio Robin Hood TT w/Cornet 1 tonearm & Hana SL cart, ZP3 Cryo Beeswax caps, Bob's Devices SUT, HD800, LCD2, Zenwave
  IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #14 - 09/15/16 at 20:14:24

You really don't want to see how badly packages are treated by the 20 year old kids at the UPS loading dock.
A kid that worked for me always told the story of how it was a game for them to kick anything marked fragile.
Part of my job is managing a tool crib, the UPS truck backs up every morning and they start kicking boxes out, literally. Shipper beware.

Owner of the infamous RED TORII and Dan the Redheaded Amp
  IP Logged
SonicSeeker
Seasoned Member

Listening to the
music not the
equipment

Reply #15 - 09/17/16 at 14:29:07

Sorry for this UPS but I have had terrible luck also.
Dropped a pair of RF-7II's on my driveway in a rain snow storm, leaning against my porch, one step up on to the porch they would have been covered. But that wouldn't have mattered because the factory boxes were destroyed and so were the speakers from terrible handling before they arrived. I had my front door open and I know the driver did not want to let me know he was there.60 days of fighting and UPS did pay.
Rarely do I receive a package from UPS that does not show signs of abuse.

IP Logged
skiroe

Reply #16 - 09/17/16 at 16:48:36

Could easily hash out a long thread on the perils of shipping and that would include troubles no matter who the carrier might be.   Although I will have to say that I have had very good luck the last 15 yrs using FEDEX.    I have shipped lots of gear as my feedback @A'gon would testify.   I will admit I am a bit of a obsessive packer and its always important to visualize  the potential of a package taking a 6 foot drop and ask oneself--will it survive?    and pack accordingly.   And when buying I've gotten tired of grilling the seller in the most appropriate manner of course about how they will pack if they do not have OEM boxing.   And even with OEM boxing I need particulars.   At any rate,  It still involves a certain amount of luck and certainly one of the prerequisites  is taking delivery on the first attempt.    I am a bit surprised that the buyer of the MG944's did not at least follow up with UPS re/damages.    It was overall a very unpleasant transaction experience for me .  I like to glean some satisfaction from a transaction and give it my full attention to ensure maximum potential for success and that requires the buyer to participate as well ---so can't imagine what this guy was thinking .     Smiley

IP Logged
maddog07
Seasoned Member

seeker of truth

Reply #17 - 09/19/16 at 18:20:33

UPS (United Package Smashers).... stopped using them years ago, and ship exclusively with FedEx when the choice is mine to make - FedEx has not disappointed me yet...

Decware Torii MK3, Wyred4Sound DAC2, Theta Digital Miles, Emotiva XMC-1, Emotiva XPA-5, Aesthetix Calypso, Wyred STP-SE, Martin Logan Vista, Audio Nirvana 12" Alnico's, PS Audio PW P5, Goertz, Kimber, Nordost and DIY wires, PSA pwr cords, Cary SLI-80, DM945's.....
  IP Logged
Tripwr1964
Seasoned Member

Reply #18 - 10/10/16 at 23:15:57

yeah fedex here too.  never a problem.

and i've shipped 3 sota turntables!  they are big heavy and are prone to get damaged.

CSP3 25yr, CAD 120s MKII, Sunfire Signature600, Sota Star Sapphire, SME309, Hana SL, JC3+, Schiit bifrost multibit, CXC, MG1.6QR w/ ext xo & mye stands, OB Augies. herbies iso, VH audio flavor diy pwr cords, Beden 8402 & Dueland IC's,
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print