Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/23/24 at 23:29:28 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Headphones on the mini Torii (total neophyte) (Read 4549 times)
Tremendosaur
Verified Member

Headphones on the mini Torii (total neophyte)
07/08/16 at 15:30:18

I'll preface the question by saying I have never worked with tube amps before so it's a brand new world for me.

I'd like to feed a set of headphones from the mini torri's output jacks, which I presume can be accomplished via a male stereo RCA -> 1/4 female cable.

I have read that tube amps shouldn't be turned on if not connected to speakers. Will I damage the unit if I just go the headphone route? I know that this is probably a ridiculous question but I'm trying to tread carefully with the unit.

Thanks in advance!

IP Logged
Denizen
Verified Member

Re: Headphones on the mini Torii (total neophyte)
Reply #1 - 07/08/16 at 21:26:48

Yeah, you could do it that way, but you would probably have an impedance
mismatch, you could also set up a rig coming straight off the speaker binding posts and into a headphone jack. You would still have an impedance
mismatch, most headphones are anywhere from 30 to 600 ohms.

I would be careful you could seriously overdrive your headphones and damage them.

I see decware can add a headphone for a $100.00 and add resistors to better match your headphones.

I have also heard you can damage your output xfrmr by leaving speakers disconnected but I have never had any issues with my Torii or my Rachael or any other amp for that matter, so I wouldn't worry about it.

IP Logged
Tremendosaur
Verified Member

Reply #2 - 07/09/16 at 02:50:32

Thanks so much for the reply. My biggest concern was any damage, and between the few replies I've gotten on forums it appears that the amp is safe.

After giving it a shot I've learned two things:

1) The low & high ends of music in my iTunes library shows way more compression than I was expecting. My preamp is on loan right now so I can't test any of my turntables. I'm surprised I hadn't noticed it before.

2) The volume is very low. I wonder if I need to run all sources through a preamp.

I have very little understanding of impedance and frankly, many of the specifications associated with audio equipment so I'm reading as much as I can.

Thanks again!

IP Logged
Denizen
Verified Member

Reply #3 - 07/09/16 at 14:40:44

your volume levels will be determined mostly by the output levels of your source (2 volts is average) and the sensitivity of your speakers (the higher the db's the louder they go), a good DAC can do wonders for digital music.

Oppo DAC's are very popular, I use a Tascam (US 144 mk11) with good results, I'm sure there are a number of people on the forum who can give good advice as to what would fit your needs and price range.

IP Logged
Tremendosaur
Verified Member

Reply #4 - 07/09/16 at 18:31:47

Interesting, thank you again!

Presumably the DAC sits between the source and the amp, correct?

It's also been pointed out to me that the RCA -> 1/4 jack cable is not a tremendously high quality item so that could reduce the sound clarity & volume.

IP Logged
Denizen
Verified Member

Reply #5 - 07/10/16 at 06:14:14

yes, the DAC between your source & your amp. good DAC's will offer a # of different connections: RCA, XLR, USB,.... you will be using the USB, it seems. I can't really comment since I don't know anything about your rig.

IP Logged
jorgen
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 07/11/16 at 12:08:34

i have the miniTorii and im using both headphones and speakers. I added the headphone out though, so i dont have any experience with connecting them to speaker out. I do disconnect speakers when i use headphones, and actually called Steve to be sure it was safe. He had no worries about the transformers being cooked or any other problems. I went with Audeze 2.2 and the sound is very very good, but i have to say i can hear the amp working easier with headphones, not at all any problem, but basically you sit inside "speakers" so it is audible, at least between tracks.

You will enjoy good headphones very much with this amp. Keep in mind that the MT only needs 1 volt from your source (as stated above a dac usually delivers 2volts, so the MT will run full speed at just above 12 o`clock on the volume controll.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print