Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/28/24 at 20:45:52 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Lowther Gizmo with other Lowthers ? (Read 9750 times)
Brian
Seasoned Member

Lowther Gizmo with other Lowthers ?
06/13/16 at 03:51:19

The Gizmo was developed for the Lowther model DX-55. Has anyone here any experience with the Gizmo on other Lowthers? I find especially interesting models DX-65 and A-55.

https://www.decware.com/paper30.htm

Brian

IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Re: Lowther Gizmo with other Lowthers ?
Reply #1 - 06/14/16 at 18:19:28

I checked these out a while ago Brian and maybe again soon as I have just bought a pair of Lowther acoustas.   Smiley

The Lowthers also have those phase plugs...and I think you can use different shaped ones for different dispersal.

Decware: Rachaels x 2 bridged, C. SP2+, ZP3, ZMC1, DHC-1 pw/cbl`s Michell Orbe + SME V + M.Benz LP s, Arcam CD33, Nakamichi LX5, Lowther acoustas DX2`s, WE 16g sp/cbl`s, Isotek mains substation, M & K subwoofer, Belden 8402 interconnects.
  IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #2 - 06/15/16 at 03:50:37

So far it's been our experience that the Gizmo's work equally well on virtually any single voice coil speaker 94dB or higher @ 1W/1M.  Lowther's and Fostex being the most common pairings.  The Gizmo will compress power beyond about 8 watts, so if you need it louder than it can get with  8 watts, then the Gizmo's should be avoided.

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Brian
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 06/15/16 at 09:20:39

That is good news to hear that the Gizmo's work equally well on virtually any single voice coil speaker 94dB or higher @ 1W/1M.

I wonder if an adjustable transformer might be a good thing. I don't know if transformers can be made adjustable, but the transformer volume control that was talked up here in the forum about ten years ago must be something of that kind.
I don't know which side of the transformer ought to have the adjustable impedance, but I would guess the primary.

Brian

IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 06/17/16 at 21:10:56

Yes, thanks Steve, thats informative about the 8 watts and over as my Rachaels are 12 watts and may need the compression to give  the dials more of a range. I`ll find out tomorrow, Sat, after I collect them. They have not to old dx2`s fitted, which although not the `A`(alnico) range have rare earth magnets which are more powerful, or they are when coupled with Lowthers technology.

Decware: Rachaels x 2 bridged, C. SP2+, ZP3, ZMC1, DHC-1 pw/cbl`s Michell Orbe + SME V + M.Benz LP s, Arcam CD33, Nakamichi LX5, Lowther acoustas DX2`s, WE 16g sp/cbl`s, Isotek mains substation, M & K subwoofer, Belden 8402 interconnects.
  IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 06/20/16 at 17:50:34

Very nice pair of Lowther acoustas with DX2 drivers. Sealed, veneered backs.
Like a breath of fresh air they impressed me straight away. Placed into the room they want to bathe you. Placed into the corners they became comparable to my ML`s as the soundstage followed them back, and they disappeared. Well, as I listened they slowly put the ML`s into retirement. Every department the cobwebs were gone. I you`d have told me my rig had cobwebs I wouldn`t have believed you. I think I know now what micro/macros are. The speed and delicacy, and detail. Right that`ll do for now.
Bass is as loud as the ML`s, which was ok, but there the similarity ends. Now I`m getting speed, detail, tone in spades with more extension.
Like for like db/volume match up for normal listening session.
ML`s  89db....volume dial on CSP2+  8 o`clock
Lowthers 97db.................................5 o`clock

ps It almost passed me by but how can I not mention the Decware amps and gear that have just stepped up to the plate into a pair of racers.   Smiley

IP Logged
Brian
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 06/24/16 at 20:56:22

Syd said: "If you'd have told me my rig had cobwebs, I wouldn't have believed you."

I always like that discovery.  Both here in audio and over in the amateur astronomy forum.  It is ever a source of joy when someone discovers a new level of resolution beyond what they thought was an absolute limit.  

It sounds like Lowthers have given you a nice step up in your music enjoyment.  
Have you tried them both with and without the Decware Gizmos?

Brian

IP Logged
maddog07
Seasoned Member

seeker of truth

Reply #7 - 06/24/16 at 22:21:05

I too went from stats - ML Vista's (which I still have) to crossover-less, full range, single high-efficiency driver speakers.  I could not believe my own ears for awhile - a real cognitive dissonance set in.  The full-rangers, especially at low volumes, are orders of magnitude more micro-dynamically detailed and faster and more resolute overall.  A non-audiophile, but true music lover, friend of mine describes the full-rangers as being "snappier".

I have been a fan of boxless speakers for decades, preferring ribbon and stat type speakers over box speakers.  I just was never happy with box speakers after owning ribbons or stats - seemed like I could always here "the box" or something about "the box".

My first full-rangers were/are in a box and satisfied me for a couple of years.  Then I met RandyInCaintuck on this forum at a Zenfest and he "exposed" me to open baffles.  I have since, within the last year, built a pair of open baffles using full-range drivers.  These, to my ears, are the best yet - especially when driven by Decware amplification.  I occasionally hook up my first full-range speakers (bass reflex design) and give them a listen, just to see if my impressions on the OB's are standing the test of time - so far the OB's win.

Decware Torii MK3, Wyred4Sound DAC2, Theta Digital Miles, Emotiva XMC-1, Emotiva XPA-5, Aesthetix Calypso, Wyred STP-SE, Martin Logan Vista, Audio Nirvana 12" Alnico's, PS Audio PW P5, Goertz, Kimber, Nordost and DIY wires, PSA pwr cords, Cary SLI-80, DM945's.....
  IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #8 - 06/27/16 at 12:28:08

Not as yet Brian, I`m still enjoying the moment and getting a handle on the new sound. A lot of info coming out of the speakers. Sometimes it`s like cubism....all the components are there and I have to make sense of them. Thats a buzz as it`s a new journey. Othertimes the musical presentation can be stunning, massive soundstage. Jazz is very nice, a few instruments laid bare. Pianos whispy sustains, brass bite, dbl bass is lovely, ( now the bass on vinyl KOB becomes a more real entity without need of a boost ). Drums, again, just more real.
So I`m just thinking and making small adjustments in placement and wondering if I need extra room treatment. Maybe not.

I re-read Steves paper and tbh top and bottom sound great as is.
It`s a lengthy piece and when my honeymoon is over I`ll go back to it for a more in depth understanding.
Not sure if I`d know a mid bass bump if it had a label on it   Smiley

...and so far there is no boxiness !

IP Logged
Brian
Seasoned Member

Reply #9 - 06/29/16 at 02:16:13

maddog07 & Syd,  I have enjoyed reading your reports of the superior musicality of the single driver speakers.  
Thank you

Brian

IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #10 - 07/03/16 at 14:03:45

Thanks Brian. Coincidencies....the thread....me landing a pair of acoustas...
...after reading up on the AV forums I realised that their slightly tipped up response is one of the idiosychracies of the Lowthers. So thats why I was hearing a higher level of surface noise which was normally hidden.
Toeing the speakers outwards up to 15 degrees was the cure, I read. Sure enough at around 8 degrees the recordings became much more in line with a proper sound.
2 feet from the rear and 1 1/2 from the sides is so far the optimum. The sound stage sits nicely behind them. The scale and attention to detail, coupled with more solid 3D is a fine reward for my first trip into single drivers.
Normal listening level now at 4 o`clock.

IP Logged
Brian
Seasoned Member

Reply #11 - 07/04/16 at 02:21:50

Syd said:  "The scale and attention to detail, coupled with more solid 3D is a fine reward for my first trip into single drivers."

That sure sounds nice. Glad to hear it.

Brian

IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #12 - 07/04/16 at 02:39:26

Bryan,

My experience with the Gizmo product is that it is successful with two different Audio Nirvana full range drivers that I have used in the past. As Steve pointed out, it works with drivers of 94db @1watt/1 meter sensitivity, and will compress power above 8 watts or so. I have used the Gizmo with relative success when Rachel was the amp. So it is more about the specs of the driver and the watts used (not really so much about amp power, i.e. you can have a 100 watt amp and use only 6 watts of it if your speakers are high sensitivity).

Decware 34I.3 integrated amp/Forte' 3 bass amp/Velodyne SMS-1 bass mngmnt system/Decware ZOB speakers/Audio Nirvana 8" bass drivers/Xiang Seng DAC/ LR Audio Computer/Rega Apollo R CDP/Emotiva ERC3 CDP/BPT 3.0 power cond.
  IP Logged
Brian
Seasoned Member

Reply #13 - 07/06/16 at 05:07:03

Thank you, 4krow for the report on the Audio Nirvanas.

I know what you mean about not using all the power of an amp. I still meet people twenty years or so after this small power tube amp revival began, who still won't believe less than 60 or 80 Watts is an acceptable minimum to listen to music at 80 dB loudness from speakers with a 96 dB from one Watt efficiency.  I would guess they know the numbers, but simply can not accept it. Probably because they have used amps with a lack of dynamics due to a slow recovery or something, and have made the assumption that the way to get a more powerful sound (more dynamics) is to have more power. I certainly can not fault their logic. It is too bad they have not got all the facts on what is causing their music to sound weak. Indeed, I have been reading this stuff since I came to the internet at the turn of the century and would not mind having a few more facts on the causes of higher fidelity myself.  

I guess I needed to divest myself of a thesis.
Long Winded Brian, signing off

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print