Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/28/24 at 16:17:49 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Lon, give me a suggestion... (Read 1010 times)
Matchstikman
Seasoned Member

Lon, give me a suggestion...
06/24/16 at 16:54:42

What do you consider to be a recording that really stands out on your system?  Something that really takes advantage of your components.  I want to see what it does on my current setup.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Re: Lon, give me a suggestion...
Reply #1 - 06/24/16 at 17:32:44

I guess I really don't think that way these days Match. . . everything sounds so good.

If you have SACD, I really think the Mobile Fidelity SACDs of Miles Davis "Sketches of Spain" and "Filles De Kilamanjaro" sound phenomenal on my system.

For Redbook I really love the recording (and music) on the latest cd from Jose James on Blue Note, "Yesterday I had the Blues." A piano trio backing James' singing.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Matchstikman
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 06/24/16 at 18:23:45

Jose James ordered.

Thanks for the suggestion.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #3 - 06/24/16 at 22:22:55

Cool. Also, it's fun to play guitar along with this album. For me at least. Wink

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Matchstikman
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 06/27/16 at 14:47:19

I got the CD Saturday.
Stunning sound.
Very nice Sunday afternoon jazz.
My lady friend also called it romantic.
I never heard of this guy before.  On some passages he sounds a little bit like Thelonius Monk.

I can see how this would be good to play along with guitar.  There is alot of open space and room.

Thanks, Lon.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #5 - 06/27/16 at 20:10:37

Hey you're welcome. To be clear, Jose James is a young singer who has done soul and funk and also straight ahead jazz. He doesn't play an instrument on any albums I have. The piano player (who likely is the one that sounds like Monk at times) is Jason Moran who has been a jazz leader a few decades, probably wrote the arrangements there, and does indeed know his Monk. Bassist John Patitucci and drummer Eric Harland and both very good players. I love the mood of this album, and I have to say it's one of the best recorded new jazz albums I've heard. I'm glad my recommendation led to enjoyment and not puzzlement! Smiley

IP Logged
Matchstikman
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 07/14/16 at 17:20:45

Ok, Lon, how about another suggestion.

This time something with acoustic guitar, maybe flamenco, if you please.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #7 - 07/14/16 at 17:51:09

I don't own any real flamenco recordings that I'm aware of. That music hasn't really moved me much.

Here's one of my favorite guitar albums, acoustic and electric.

This one has always fascinated me as it's a little known jazz pianist and composer's work re-arranged for acoustic guitar:

"Duck Baker plays the music of Herbie Nichols"

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #8 - 07/14/16 at 18:42:21

Have you heard Gabriela y Rodrigo? I think you'd like them.

IP Logged
Matchstikman
Seasoned Member

Reply #9 - 07/14/16 at 20:12:41

I've not heard Gabriela y Rodrigo but I'll check them out.  I just ordered the Cassandra Wilson.  Thanks.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #10 - 07/15/16 at 00:57:04

I had it backwards: it's Rodrigo y Gabriela. I like Gabriela more I guess! Nice stuff.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rodrigo_y_Gabriela

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print